mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading Sequences from Cubase into MO8"

Posted on: December 17, 2008 @ 05:19 PM
PaulCann
Total Posts:  17
Joined  10-02-2008

I’m running Cubase LE 1.x, (latest version), that I obtained when I bought my MO8.

I have several Cubase sequences that I would like to load into my MO8, (or to a flash memory drive), from Cubase for live performance and leave my laptop at home.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do this?

I’ve read that Yamaha now owns Cubase and there is tight integration between Cubase and the Motif. Does this extend to the MO8?

I can’t find anything in the Cubase documentation about this. Do I have to export standard MIDI files from Cubase into the MO8 or to a flash drive and then import them? Not good!

Also, I read somewhere that I can control all MO8 settings from Cubase. Mixing, EQ, Effects, etc.

Ideally, I’d like to create my sequences in Cubase specifically for the MO8 and be able to set and save all othe MO8 settings from Cubase.

Then simply bring my flash drive of sequences with me to the gigs, load and go.

A couple additional questions:

How many sequences can I have loaded in the MO8 at any given time? My sequences are typically 40-60k.

Is there anyway to trigger the MO8 sequences via an footswitch? Will this work with ‘Chained Sequences”?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2008 @ 06:22 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Loading Sequences from Cubase into MO8

I can’t find anything in the Cubase documentation about this. Do I have to export standard MIDI files from Cubase into the MO8 or to a flash drive and then import them? Not good!

Don’t know why you say “Not good!” this is the best way to export any MIDI data from one sequencer and load it into another. If you find a better way… let us know! SMF have worked for many, many years…

How many sequences can I have loaded in the MO8 at any given time? My sequences are typically 40-60k.

The MO sequencer is 896KB

Is there anyway to trigger the MO8 sequences via an footswitch? Will this work with ‘Chained Sequences”?

See page 209 of the Owner’s Manual FS Assign (Foot Switch) when set to 098 it can be PLAY/STOP for the sequencer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2008 @ 11:23 AM
PaulCann
Joined  10-02-2008

Bad M -

Thanks for your prompt reply. (Big fan, love your work.)

Yes, I’m aware that the SMF format is ideal for portability between sequencers. What I was referring to is the “process”.

What I’m hoping is that somewhere in Cubase there’s an option that can copy the sequences directly from Cubase to the MO8.

Rather than going through Windows Explorer, copying the files to a flash drive, then importing the files manually into the MO8.

One more thing…

Can I use Cubase to set Mixing settings on the MO8 for each sequence as well?

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2008 @ 06:17 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There is no method other than SMF to transfer sequences done on computer to hardware. While a lot of work has been done by Yamaha and Steinberg for the opposite direction. SMF have been working for most people for quite some time.

For example, the new top-of-the-line Motif XS, has the ability to when you save an ALL data file (.X0A) you can save that file directly on your computer via Ethernet. Cubase at version 4.1 and later can then open that Motif XS ALL data file: it can extract each MIDI track to a Cubase MIDI track, it can extract each Audio (Sampled) track to a Cubase Audio track, and finally the Studio Manager with the Motif XS Editor can extract all User Voices and the current Mix setup from that same file.

This is the direction that most folks want to work. You’ve started a project on the hardware synthesizer and you want to take that work and move it to the computer where you can transport to larger systems, larger rooms, add additional musicians, tracks, effects, etc., etc., etc.

The other direction, taking something you have done in a DAW software and moving it to the hardware (presumably for a gig) is very nicely done by the good ole SMF… That is not broken, no need to fix it. Besides there are too many different keyboards out there for software designers to customize a mix setup for each… the standard method of transferring a MIDI sequence is a TYPE 0 format Standard MIDI File.

I like to say like TYPE “O” blood is the universal donor, Type 0 Midi file is the universal donor of MIDI data - every sequencer usually can export it, and every sequencer can usually import it.

You will have to STORE the Voices and Mix settings in the hardware. and relink them with the sequencer data… as SMF only deal with what is actually in the track events.

Can I use Cubase to set Mixing settings on the MO8 for each sequence as well?

Again if you have Studio Manager and the MO Multi-Part Editor running on your computer it is a simply matter to setup the MO - but recognize that the MO is really three devices in one (that is what a workstation keyboard is, 3 devices);
1) it is a controller set of keys
2) it is a synthesizer tone engine
3) it has a built-in sequencer.

The Tone Engine interprets the MIDI data in the sequence track
The Sequencer is simply MIDI data that must be interpreted by a tone engine.

A Standard MIDI File only contains the MIDI data, it does not usually, unless you manually place the Bank Select and Program Changes, the controller settings for Volume, Pan, Effects selection, Effect send, etc., etc., etc. into the file.  Usually you would bulk dump that information to the tone generator.

With later versions of Cubase you can - as I mentioned - much of this has been addressed but in the opposite direction… A keyboard synthesizer workstation is seen as a music production tool… where you move from it to a larger world. Many movie scores, television shows, album projects get their start in a a synthesizer workstation, and then the tracks are moved to a software DAW like Cubase 4.5.2 where they add singers, guitars, the London Symphony, etc. etc.

But going from the DAW to the keyboard… SMF. Still the one. Besides when you think about software like even Cubase AI4 it can control as many as 256 MIDI tracks… the typical keyboard synthesizer workstation is 16 PART multi-timbral… a very few are 32 PART but that it. It would be simply not possible for software people to make that work. By the time you get to the top-of-the-line Cubase 4.5.2 you have unlimited tracks… yikes how would you export that to the generic keyboard workstation? SMF file is the best (only way). Type 0 will take all tracks designated MIDI channel 1 and merge them… all tracks desingated MIDI channel 2 and merge them, and so on… so you end up with 16 MIDI channels (one port of data). It simply is not broken.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2008 @ 04:28 PM
PaulCann
Joined  10-02-2008

Can’t thank you enough for the great insights.

Regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ AW16 Effects
Next Topic:

MO8 Patch Script For Cubase ››