mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arp for “Hungry Like the Wolf”?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 22, 2012 @ 08:29 PM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

Hi all!

Need to cover this tune live and want to replicate the 16th note arp.  Rather than sequence the synth arp, wondering if I can just use an arpeggiation within the XF and get “close enough”.  Two questions:  1. since I haven’t played with arps much, can I program one or do I have to find a “similar” one and edit?  2.  By chance (and since there are about a gabillion of them to sift through), is there an arp you guys know of that’s close?

Link to song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOg5VxrRTi0&ob=av2e

Thanks!
-P

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2012 @ 11:26 PM
zikerstu
Total Posts:  326
Joined  08-06-2008

Duran-X2-is-kinda-tough-to-replicate-with-a"rompler"sometimes.As-advanced-as-the-Motif-series-are-I’ve-rarely-ever-used-the-built-in-arps.-If-you-can-find-one-that-comes-close-that’d-be-your-best-bet.-I-don’t-believe-there-is-"step-sequencing"-available-either-which-could-help-but-take-a-bit-of-work.(Nick-Rhodes-used-a-Jupiter-*-i-think!)-When-I-covered-"Rio"-I-used-a-Roland-JP8000.-You-might-also-look-up-a-cover-band-on-you-tube-under-"Hungry-like-the-wolf-live"-and-see-if-you-have-any-luck-with-messaging-them-about-what-they-used-for-the-arp-as-well.-Good-luck!

Also-see

http://www.arrangerworkstation.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=voices&Number=293866&page;=&view;=&sb;=&o;=&fpart=1&vc=1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 01:06 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi zikerstu,
Is there a purpose, of the hyphen’s used between each and every word?

I had to ask…

take it easy

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 03:09 AM
zikerstu
Total Posts:  326
Joined  08-06-2008

Yes-there-is-Chas!-My-space-bar-on-my-pos-laptop-died-from-crappy-craftsmanship!-Thus-these-pesky-things-"-"!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 04:25 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi zikerstu,
Kill it!! Dang things anyway.

hahaha, silly me! That makes total sense now.

Ah, actually if my own ol’ trusty ‘puter didn’t run so slow,
I was going to change my ‘tune’, again.
As I thought, I had actually figured it out.

It’s your “string” theory!! & not a safety rope at all, as I had earlier written.
Just stringing them words together.

If you carefully pull the space bar off that computer, as I have done recently with mine, you may be quite surprised what hides beneath.

Tiny “Klingon’s”

Thanks for the honesty… I appreciate that.

take care

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 10:11 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

I-googled-your-request-and-found-the-following

Almost any virtual analog synth will work, as long as it has an arpeggiator with a “random” note order setting. Step 1. We’ll use two oscillators, both set to square waves. Oscillators should be tuned in unison with the fine-tune knob at about one o’ clock — enough so a bit of chorusing happens.       Step 2. The Source Mix knob should be smack in the middle for an equal blend of each oscillator.      Step 3. The highpass filter (HPF) isn’t used, so turn its slider off. Cutoff is mostly closed down, because we’ll use the filter envelope to control the frequency. Set the cutoff to 322Hz, and cutoff envelope mod amount to .667 (just over halfway). Make sure the switch next to the mod slider is set to ENV1; this lets ENV1 modulate the cutoff frequency while ENV2 affects amplitude. Set the resonance at zero, and add a little key follow to brighten higher notes.    Step 4. Now set ENV1 as shown: A = zero, D = 234ms, S = zero, and R = 1,324ms.      Step 5. ENV2 shapes the amplitude of the sound. A = zero, D = 4,761ms, S = zero, and R = 2,556ms. These may seem like long times for such a quick sound, but the sound actually does ring for a bit, though the release phase is muted by the rapid filter envelope.     Step 6. Now for the fun part. Set the arpeggiator to random mode (RND) and the range to two octaves. Lock up the timing by setting your host’s tempo around 127 bpm, and set the arpeggio rate to sixteenth-notes. Set the neighboring sync switch to external — this locks the arpeggiator to your host’s MIDI clock. Add a little reverb, hold down some E and D major triads, and you’ll be off and running! 

Now.....I did not verify that this info is correct, but I intend to try it since our band also does this cover at times and I only picked up the xf a couple months ago. 

Ps-I was not mocking your “hyphenitis syndrome”.... Just having fun

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 10:25 AM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Mitchell Sigman/Keyboard wrote the following addendum to the first post
Here are some notes on my Duran Duran “Hungry Like The Wolf” patch, created with Arturia’s Jupiter-8V virtual analog synth. hungry_osc1_2.mp3 - This is both oscillators set to square waves with the filter wide open, and should help you set the amount of oscillator detune ("fine tune” on Jupiter-8V) properly.hungry_filt_env.mp3 - This is the same sound with the filter cutoff, envelope amount and envelope settings in place.hungry_filt_amp_env.mp3 - Same as above, but now the amp envelope settings (i.e. ENV2) are set (in the above example, ENV2 sustain is full up). hungry_arp_full.mp3 - The entire patch with the arpeggiator on. To accurately play “Hungry Like The Wolf”, be conscious of octaves and chord inversions; Nick Rhodes is mainly playing simple root-note triads. There’s very little voice-leading going on. Verse chords: E | D Chorus chords: C | G | F | Bb | C | G | F | D  

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 06:02 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
zikerstu - 23 March 2012 03:09 AM

Yes-there-is-Chas!-My-space-bar-on-my-pos-laptop-died-from-crappy-craftsmanship!-Thus-these-pesky-things-"-"!

If you’re running Windows, you can remap another key to be “space”.
See http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ for one way to do it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 09:53 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010
5pinDIN - 23 March 2012 06:02 PM
zikerstu - 23 March 2012 03:09 AM

If you’re running Windows, you can remap another key to be “space”.
See http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ for one way to do it.

Hi 5pinDIN,
Thanks, that was nice of you to share this hyperlink with zikerstu.
Too, for anyone else, who may decide to make some minor changes to their personal ‘puter keyboard map.

Now, I’d like to go back to high school, and play in the computer room, with this information, perhaps someday…

Thanks again…

take care

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 10:59 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Redhotpoker - 23 March 2012 09:53 PM

[...]Now, I’d like to go back to high school, and play in the computer room, with this information, perhaps someday…

I’m sure some mischief could be perpetrated that way…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2012 @ 04:21 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi 5pinDIN,
I had been bored one day, while working up in the National Parole Board offices, and decided that a little fun was in order.

I walked over to the only area up in that tower, which housed huge office space, & with open access internet computers for the public’s use.
I went into Desktop Screen Saver, ThreeD Text, Spin. & wrote:
Go To ‘Gaol’, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $50.00

hahaha, I loved that afternoon.
Often, I wondered how long that remained, untill someone
had it removed. smile

Cheap Thrills…
As this would cause a laugh too, I’d only do it to the teachers ‘puter though, which is projected to a large screen display hahaha. Switch all the numbers, and a few letters too.
See him sweat a little!!
There is no access to Properties in the library units, too bad.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2012 @ 04:35 PM
zippydog
Joined  04-01-2011

Eureka!
I found an ARP over the weekend that wasn’t quite an exact match to the random pattern in the original recording, but in the context of the song will work fine.  When I played along with the recording and pulled the XF forward in the mix, it totally worked.  Some tempo adjust and filtering work on the sound to match that “popcorn” sound and I’m close enough for a 1x gig.  Nice!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2012 @ 05:51 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Hey zippy....would you like to share what you found?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2012 @ 05:51 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Hey zippy....would you like to share what you found?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
zippydog
Joined  04-01-2011

Sure will - sorry, had planned to do that.  Posting from work (shhhh!), so I’ll post up when I get home tonight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2012 @ 10:35 PM
zippydog
Joined  04-01-2011

So here we go...um sort of.
I found the arp in the set of sounds I loaded from an older XS file I had saved from when I borrowed an XS for a gig Summer (before I bought my XF).  Stupidly, I re-named the patch after editing it and arps are still something of a mystery to me, but here are the deets for the arp itself...hope it helps:

Cat: SEQ
Sub: Tekno
Type:  7058 MA Electro01
It was attached to USER 1, A6 voice, but not sure if that’s factory set for that location for XS or not.

As mentioned above, I messed with most of the filters to get the “popcorn” attack/ sound (or very close to it) and set tempo to 129.
While not as random as the original recording, I got satisfactory results by playing either thirds, triads or fifths...not sure how I’ll ultimately voice it.  As noted above, its not studio-perfect, but for a one-off outdoor Summer gig it’ll do.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Master Editing
Next Topic:

FW Connection FOR motif Editor on PC ››