mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FW Connection FOR motif Editor on PC"

Posted on: March 22, 2012 @ 09:52 PM
stevehammett
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-22-2012

I am a beginer and I am a bit lost. I would like to try editing Voices and Performances in the EDITOR on my PC. My MOTIF does NOT come up in the setup list in the STUDIO MANAGER programe. I am connected by USB. Is this the proper connection?? I have no idea what the FW Connection is but have seen it mentioned.. Is that the connection I need ???? Is it a network cable?? it looks like it.

Windows XP 32bit / MOTIF XF8

Thank you so much for any help you can give me :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 02:18 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Slow down. One thing at a time.

If you have Studio Manager installed and you are not seeing the Editor in the Workspace you most likely downloaded the wrong version of the Motif XF Editor. There are two (different) editors
1) Motif XF Editor
2) Motif XF Editor VST

The former runs with Studio Manager and is the one you want.
The latter runs as a VSTi within a DAW software, and requires a VST3 compatible DAW (like Cubase)

In order to connect to the EDITOR you need to make one of following multiple PORT connections between your Motif XF and your computer:
1) USB
2) FW

The former connection (USB) handles multiple PORTS of MIDI communication between the XF and your computer
The latter connection (FW) handles multiple PORTS of MIDI and multiple audio buses as well. The Firewire connectivity requires that you purchase and install the optional FW16E Firewire expansion board… and is for those power users who require 16 audio bus outputs and 6 audio bus returns for advanced MIDI and AUDIO recording to DAW.

You simply need a USB connection if you just want to use the EDITOR.

Go to
download.yamaha.com

Select your country
Type in your Model Name: Motif XF8

Find the “Motif XF Editor version 1.4.0” (November 1, 2010) for your computer’s operating system - PLease read carefully. While the VST version of the Editor looks and works the same as this one, the routing and setup is different (as described above - it requires a VST3 comptabile DAW in order to run). The version you need requires Studio Manager to run and can run as a stand alone Editor.

You also want to download the “Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver for your computer’s operating system. (I believe that is currently at version 3.1.2 for Windows).

the EDITOR allows you to EDIT the Motif XF in the following specific modes:
1) VOICE mode
2) SONG mode
3) PATTERN mode

It is not a PERFORMANCE EDITOR, it is a VOICE EDITOR/Librarian and SONG/PATTERN MIXING Editor.

You can follow a step-by-step guide linked here in the Motifator “SUPPORT” area for the Motif XF:
SETUP GUIDE: Motif XF and Studio Manager (as Stand Alone) USB for Windows

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Arp for "Hungry Like the Wolf"?
Next Topic:

Saving a custom sample on the MOTIF XF URGENT ››