mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Connecting Motif xs to a sound card"

Posted on: January 01, 2024 @ 10:00 PM
Denis Ekimtsev
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-22-2020

Hi, I have an RME Babyface Pro FS sound card, I connect Motif xs to it with two mono cables.The outputs on the Motif xs are unbalanced, the line inputs of the RME are also unbalanced.There are two options in the RME input settings (+4 dBu) and (-10 dBV), please tell me which one to choose correctly?At -10 dBV, the sound is louder than at +4 dBu.Is there a significant difference in this?Can you tell me which setting to choose correctly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2024 @ 09:47 PM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  165
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

The -10dBV setting is traditionally used when connecting to consumer electronics, such as hifi components etc., which typically operate at lower signal levels. This setting applies more gain on the receiving end and is therefore louder.

The +4dBu setting expects a hotter signal, which is used by professional equipment in order to increase the signal-to-noise ratio. Less gain is therefore necessary on the receiving end.

I don’t know how the input level switch is implemented in the RME Babyface Pro FS, but it could be switching a pad resistor into the signal path before the gain stage, instead of switching between two separate gain stages. Regardless, you can safely use both input level settings without breaking anything. I would do a direct comparison, and choose +4dBu if the Motif XS can deliver enough output and also provide a cleaner signal.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2024 @ 05:24 AM
Denis Ekimtsev
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-22-2020

Ok,Thanks)

[ Ignore ]