mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Adding Sonar8 - What else will I need?"

Posted on: April 21, 2009 @ 08:17 PM
Johnny-Boy
Total Posts:  963
Joined  06-07-2006

Hi everyone. I know, I’ve been a stranger lately. A lot going on in my life.

Anyway, I’m seriously considering a new PC and adding Sonar8 (with the Garritan Orchestra). That’s pretty much decided.

I’m wonder what else I’ll need to complete my DAW. I’m sure I’ll need some kind of MIDI interface - not sure what else I’ll need.

I’m considering this Dell computer:  http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bv2ox24&s=bsd

If someone can come up with a perfect set-up, you’ll make me a happy man.

I have about $2,500 to spend. I already have the Motif ES8.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2009 @ 08:45 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

In addition to Sonar and the computer, you will need a quality audio interface of some kind. You can get several different types: Internal, Firewire or USB. I use an ‘internal’ card that snaps into an open PCI slot on the motherboard. Firewire interfaces are a bit fussy regarding the chipset used on the computer’s firewire interface card. USB is probably the slowest of the lot, but good for a stereo input.

Stay away from Video game oriented audio interfaces (I hesitate to call them sound cards). You can spend from $100 to many thousands on these things ranging from stereo input to 16 or 24 inputs. I personally use an EMU 1212m sound card. They have been on the market a while now and have stable drivers for XP or Vista and currently run in the $150 range. For the price, I believe that the A/D converters are among the best in this class. The software that comes with it will drive you crazy (it does me) but it sounds good.

Do yourself a big favor and spend some quality time researching your audio solution, as it is probably the single biggest link in your sound quality output chain. You will also have to live with the software and routing possibilities, so don’t take my word for it: find something you can be comfortable with, which is another way of saying make sure you can return it to the store if you find that you don’t like it.  Strangely enough, a place like Guitar Center will not allow a return if open software is involved, but an on-line store usually will. Also, many companies post their software on their website, which is usually the latest anyway, so you may not have to open any software that comes in the box. Something to keep in mind.

These cards will all have a midi interface, but you would use the USB interface with your Motif ES - not a 5 pin connection.

I notice you’re going with Windows XP. I don’t know what the memory limitation is, but go as big as you can afford. 4GB sticks in my mind as the limitation for XP, but I am not sure. Just keep in mind that audio processing is a RAM hog, so the more the better. I personally have no problems with (Acer Aspire M1640) Vista 32 bit, with an Intel Dual E2160 CPU at 1.80ghz with 2gb of RAM. But I am not doing anything very complicated, either.

The other consideration is a dual monitor set up. This will require a video card than has dual outputs. For music, you do not need a fancy video card as you would with video games, so you do not need the big number here, but dual output is a cool thing. Buying the exact same monitors is a nice touch as well. If you have not used a computer DAW before, you will see what I mean after a few hours use.

Buy some beer and rest up. Learning all this stuff and getting everything set up so it works the way you want requires patience and a positive attitude. But it is fun once it works.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2009 @ 09:03 PM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

Thanks for all the info Bob!

One more question. It may appear naive.

If I just use the ES8 just as a controller keyboard and play the parts directly into the Sonar sequencer using the Garritan orchestra, can I avoid the MIDI interface? In other words, just use the stereo outputs of the ES8 through my soundcard and let the Sonar sequencer handle everything.

I ask this because I’ll still have my old set-up for the normal ES8 use, but need the Garritan Orchestra for collab projects.

I’d like to avoid any complications so I can get started on this film work. Thanks again for your help.

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2009 @ 11:29 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Keep in mind that the Audio output of your ES is just that: Audio. No performance data is sent along with it. If you plan to ‘play’ any of the virtual instruments in Sonar with the keyboard of your ES, (this is the most common method) you will need the ability to transmit midi data. These are commands sent by the ES which are recognized by the software and represent the performance aspects of your playing: Key velocity, sustain pedal input, which note is played, how long it is held, bpm (clock), etc, etc. Use of the Yamaha USB driver is the easiest and most comprehensive solution.

If you plan to step sequence with your mouse, then a midi connection is not required for that , but if you want any level of synchronization between Sonar and the ES, you’ll need midi to do it.

The most common set up would be to establish a midi connection between Sonar and the ES. This will allow you to play the assortment of virtual instruments that come with Sonar, or any that you plan to add - like Garritan - or many others.

You can download the trial version of Sonar 8 for free at http://www.cakewalk.com. Ditto for the USB driver from http://www.yamahasynth.com. I suggest you try it out before committing the $$ to it if you have not done this sort of thing before.  It will make very clear the difference between midi and audio. Your current computer’s sound card and speakers will be fine as a proof of concept trial. Your sound card probably has a single stereo mini plug as a mic input. You can purchase a small Y cable that will accept the 1/4” outputs from your ES with a stereo mini plug on the other end.

The sound quality will pretty much suck, but again, this is just a proof of concept temporary solution.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2009 @ 03:33 AM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

Thanks Bob! You’ve been a huge help.

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sequencer Memory Full
Next Topic: