mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problems with USB Please Help."

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 11:08 AM
Dan Taylor
Total Posts:  131
Joined  10-04-2005

Hi all:

I have a question that I’m hoping someone might answer for me.  I am a teacher and at my school I have the Yamaha E403.  I have done a piece of music in it via the USB cable and using my MacBook with Digital Performer.  I tried to hook the same thing up to my Motif (original) and use it but it doesn’t seem to work.  All I have to do is connect the cord at school and it works fine but not at home with the Motif.  Can anyone explain this setup to me?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

Dan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 12:28 PM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

You forgot also to post in “Memory, Media and Formats”.

Where it belongs.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 02:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You only need to ask your question once. Please do not spam the forums with the same question again and again.

The E403 is limited to just General MIDI compatible sounds… the Motif is not. So the file you have is obviously requesting programs from the GM sound set.

The Motif, while it has a GM compatible bank is not restricted to just GM sounds. So therefore it requires a file with the proper GM RESET command in the setup bar.

Many authors of GM files do not properly prepare their data, because with a limited view of the world, they assume that only GM sounds exist. However, it is a larger world and there are keyboards and modules that are not just restricted to the GM banks. The Motif (Classic) has several banks of sounds not just GM sounds.

A properly prepared GM file would have the following message at the very beginning on track 1: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7

This command would tell the receiving module to select sounds only from its GM bank. If your file does not have this message or if the author did not leave the required 100-150ms of room after this message, then it is quite possible your Motif is not selecting the appropriate sounds.

You may want to insert a Measure on the front of the file and insert the GM RESET message (in the case where your file does not have the proper command message)

The message type is SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE
Press [EDIT] from the main SONG screen
Select Track [1]
Press [INSERT]
Select EVENT TYPE = SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE
Enter the following message 7E 7F 09 01 F7 ENTER

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 02:38 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

The above answer presupposes that you’ve downloaded and properly installed the YAMAHA USB / MIDI DRIVER. You can find it here: http://www.global.yamaha.com/download/usb_midi/ and if memory serves, you need to set the Motif to operate in USB Mode…

Sorry, I no loner have the manual so the steps elude me right now…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 02:58 PM
Dan Taylor
Joined  10-04-2005
Bad_Mister - 24 March 2009 02:14 PM

You only need to ask your question once. Please do not spam the forums with the same question again and again.

The E403 is limited to just General MIDI compatible sounds… the Motif is not. So the file you have is obviously requesting programs from the GM sound set.

The Motif, while it has a GM compatible bank is not restricted to just GM sounds. So therefore it requires a file with the proper GM RESET command in the setup bar.

Many authors of GM files do not properly prepare their data, because with a limited view of the world, they assume that only GM sounds exist. However, it is a larger world and there are keyboards and modules that are not just restricted to the GM banks. The Motif (Classic) has several banks of sounds not just GM sounds.

A properly prepared GM file would have the following message at the very beginning on track 1: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7

This command would tell the receiving module to select sounds only from its GM bank. If your file does not have this message or if the author did not leave the required 100-150ms of room after this message, then it is quite possible your Motif is not selecting the appropriate sounds.

You may want to insert a Measure on the front of the file and insert the GM RESET message (in the case where your file does not have the proper command message)

Select Track [1]
Press [INSERT]

Ok, so do I do this in the beginning of the sequence somehow in Digital Performer or in the Motif somehow?  I have never had to put any messages in with my sequences.  I have been away from midi for so long that I forget a lot of it.  I have mainly been working with a Roland 2480 and actually I still am, I am merely trying to get the Motif to play the sequence into the Roland.  It is probably less trouble to just bring the keyboard to my studio and do it that way but I thought it would be nice to know how to do it both ways. 

Thanks

Dan

[ Ignore ]  

Dan Taylor
Joined  10-04-2005

Select Track [1]
Press [INSERT]

Ok, so do I do this in the beginning of the sequence somehow in Digital Performer or in the Motif somehow?  I have never had to put any messages in with my sequences.  I have been away from midi for so long that I forget a lot of it.  I have mainly been working with a Roland 2480 and actually I still am, I am merely trying to get the Motif to play the sequence into the Roland.  It is probably less trouble to just bring the keyboard to my studio and do it that way but I thought it would be nice to know how to do it both ways. 

Thanks

Dan

[ Ignore ]  

Dan Taylor
Joined  10-04-2005

Select Track [1]
Press [INSERT]

Thanks

Dan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 03:01 PM
Dan Taylor
Joined  10-04-2005

Sorry about that, I must have mistakenly hit the submit to many times.  I tried to go in and take the extras off but couldn’t figure out how to do it or even if you could.
They changed this whole site since I have been on here.

Dan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 04:26 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t know anything about Digital Performer. But here is how on the Motif.

Press [SONG]

Press [EDIT]
Press [F5] INSERT
Move the cursor DOWN and set the EVENT TYPE = EXCLUSIVE
Move the cursor to the right and use the Data Wheel to enter the following values: 7E, 7F, 09, 01, F7
Press [F6] SET to insert this data

Press [SONG]

Press PLAY

This message will select the GM bank for all 16 PARTS, and place the GM drum kit on Track 10.

Once you have done this… you can play your file from Digital Performer… or you can simply go through the documentation in Digital Performer for details on how to send a GM RESET command… all sequencers can do this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2009 @ 06:31 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Dan,

bear in mind what Motif8mine said too - you will need to make sure you have the USB driver installed on your PC at home.
If you have then there may be a further step required which is Utilities/Midi/Other and toggle there between MIDI and USB. To get the Motif talking to your home PC you need to make sure the USB is selected.

If it is not, you will get no response from playing the sequence via DP.

If it is, you will get sound out, but the sound, particularly due to the drums (which on a default GM track will be on Channel 10, and Ch 10 on a default Motif song mix is a piano!) will be garbled nonsense.

Putting Bad Mr’s GM setup command into the file somewhere should preset the Motif ready to respond in a way that works for GM.

The other option is to manually select sounds in teh song mix - once that is done, save the mix! Done this way, at home you can access the far broader palette of sounds from the Motif and ‘improve’ the overall mix.

Hope this adds help and relevant detail for you.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]