mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Creating “performances” with MO8?"

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 09:01 PM
Freslanta
Total Posts:  42
Joined  10-31-2008

Hello all,
I have an MO8
I’ve been enjoying playing chord changes and improvising while in “Performance” mode. I been using Co:R&Ballad 1, for example. And I understand how to add/delete voices in this mode to change up the sounds, and edit using the knobs to control tempo, etc. But the meter/beat style stays the same.
What I’d like to do is build my own performance(s) using different meters (3/4, 5/4,etc......) and styles (Rock, Jazz, Samba). I follow the instructions in the manual to create a performance combining voices (pg 46), but I can’t get the drums to “play”. I’m not sure of the language here, but I suspect I need to insert an arpeggio / pattern / something to get the drums “playing” in the background. I’ve tried in the “Pattern” mode as well without success. I think it’s probably a pretty basic function, But I’m just not gettin’ it yet.
So, can any of you please tell me how to build custom “performances” with drums playing similar to Co:R&Ballad 1?

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2009 @ 05:17 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

Re: Creating “performances” with MO8?

I’m not in front of my MO, so this is from memory, but you are on the right track, you need to trigger the drum voice with an arpeggio. Be sure the box for that performance part is checked, i.e., if your drum voice is the 3rd part, be sure the 3rd box is checked. Also that the arp light is on. Also, that you press a key in the range of that part to trigger the arp.

You can’t use patterns in Performance mode, but you can save a pattern as a user arp then use it in Performance mode. You could also just create patterns with drum tracks, either using preset drum patterns or record your own using drum voices.

Hope that helps some.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2009 @ 10:22 PM
Freslanta
Total Posts:  42
Joined  10-31-2008

Re: Creating “performances” with MO8?

OK that does help.
After adding drum “voice” as 3rd voice for example, go to F6, the “ARP” tab. Assign arpeggio (I chose one of the “drum” arpeggios. So, one could think of it as a “rhythm type") to that voice. Be sure the #3 box is checked.
Then name and store. And I can now call up the newly created “performance” at will.
You know, it’s very handy to thumb through the Data List to find the arpeggio when you have something specific in mind.
Thanx much normanb!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New User (almost)
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››