mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Studio Connections manager for MO8 sequencer???"

Posted on: November 29, 2008 @ 03:10 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

I’m a little puzzled why with my old QY100 sequencer Yamaha produced software to get sequences and midi files in and out via a usb connection to a computer, but with the more modern MO8 we are stuck using a usb stick. Since there are Studio Connections to get voices and performances out of the MO8 and into a computer, couldn’t there also be software to get sequences and midi files in and out too? This would make file management much more efficient and make the sequencer even more useful.

Would anyone else find this useful (and be willing to pay a little)? If enough of us did, maybe John Melas or Yamaha would write something.

Is there a technical reason like it is because sequences don’t exist as files in volatile ram??? Having to plug and unplug the usb stick from the MO8 and computer is kind of clumsy. I understand it for gigs when you don’t need your computer, but in the studio it is a pain.

Just wondering…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2008 @ 10:43 PM
PhillipK
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-25-2006

Re: Studio Connections manager for MO8 sequencer???

I do think this functionality would make a great feature that would be a welcome addition (in a future update?).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2008 @ 06:17 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

stuck using a usb stick

Ouch...!
In general the size of sequences in the QY100 are very small. Once the sequences get to a certain size, dumping them via MIDI becomes a rather lengthy process. While I agree the more methods you have of moving your data the better, but dumping a sequencer capable of 896KB of data via MIDI - simply gets into long and often unreliable transfers.

The top of the line, Motif XS, uses Ethernet for this purpose… you can simply connect it to your computer router and save/load data direct to/from your computer. The only reason it probably is not in the MO-series (2005) is probably cost and timing. Yamaha has not forgotten that moving your data is important. But perhaps in time this type of high-speed direct transfer to the computer will be possible at all price points.

but trust me on this, it is quicker and more efficient to SAVE to a USB Stick and then “shuttle” that drive over to your computer, than it would be to dump the same amount of data via MIDI Bulk Dump… Not even close.

If I had time, I’d go and find the emails and posts about how frightfully slow it was, and how often the “TIME OUT ERRORS” defeated users, the FILE UTILITY simply had outlived its usefulness - I believe the S90 (2002) was the last synthesizer to use the old “File Utility” program, that you spoke of...it was abandoned because of its slow speed, clumsy interface.

Actually the “shuttle” method is quite superior in terms of getting the job done… which is the bottomline.

And Ethernet is just not cost effective enough, yet, for the MO-series. But I can tell that rapid transferring of data is one of those topics that was discussed.

Again in this direction, the Studio Connections protocol allows the Editor to open your ALL data, Voice data files in the Editor on the computer… this already exists on the Motif XS… it is just a matter of time before it ‘trickles down’ to the less expensive models. So you can look to the XS to see where this is going - direct connectivity to your computer via your home computer network (and all drives and computers linked to that network… think of the possibilities!) ...but it all comes with the price tag.

Hope that gives you some more info…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2008 @ 05:17 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

Thanks for thorough explanation. I had no idea midi dumps get problematic as size increased. Part of the convenience is being able to use a qwerty keyboard to type names, and use Windows file management to create folders and such. For example, have folders for patterns, songs, and also projects that might have patterns and songs. This gets cumbersome with the MO8 display and wheel letter entry. Would be great to see it in a future Studio Connections since MO8 will never have Ethernet.

So you’ve given me yet another reason why I should have sprung for the XS8. But, after 2 years of playing around with my MO8, I have finally started to play out and getting the MO8 (in a Yama Sig case w/wheels) up and down steps and in and out of a car by myself is difficult enough, I can’t imagine doing it with the larger, heavier XS8. Maybe I need to learn to play the synth action keys (which I’m sloppy on). So USB stick it is for now.

Appreciate you listening…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ flash drive
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››