mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie need advice on how to sequence"

Posted on: July 27, 2008 @ 01:11 PM
jpondhawk
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-26-2008

I am in a band that plays original music. I need to learn how to sequence keyboard tracks for each song that can be played onstage.

One of the songs starts out with a guitar lick then the drum kicks in and then the keyboard. Is there a way to trigger the sequence on the Motif with a designated key or footswitch so I can start the sequence live after the drummer begins?

My other question is, should I record the keyboard tracks into the Motif or use a laptop?

If I record to a laptop is there a way to load those tracks onto the Motif later so I can use them without the laptop?

Were can I find info on how to sequence? I am clueless to how the sequence works. I have a non-pro Yamaha and that was easy to sequence with. The Motif is very complicated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2008 @ 01:36 PM
Freezo
Total Posts:  53
Joined  09-05-2007

Re: Newbie need advice on how to sequence

Okay..I can help out with roughly 50% or so of your post.  Off top, the ‘sequencer’ mode is called ‘PATTERN’ (I own an ES Motif excuse any differences).  To set up your own voice/sequencer combos, hit ‘PATTERN’, spin the wheel and select a blank pattern (my ES starts blank patterns @ pattern # 33). 

Once you’ve selected a pattern, set the appropriate tempo and bar/measure length.  Hit the record button on the transport controls.  Using the screen tab ‘VOICE’ select an instrument voice from a category of your choice.  Select a voice and hit ‘ENTER’.  You will return to the pattern record screen.  In the ‘SET-UP’ tab you will find record modes (overdub, replace, etc.) and quantizing settings for timing correction if desired. 

From there it’s as simple as holding down the record and play buttons and initiating a one bar 1/4 note four count and programming your parts.

Now..I’m a little unclear if you are setting up the keyboard to play by itself, or if you need sequences to bring up the sounds you need in your tracks to be on deck when you start a new song..please forgive me if this information is unhelpful.  The desired application you describe is a little unusual (IMO).

[ Ignore ]