mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Hissing sound/bad quality when recording Audio"

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 09:51 PM
mobius121
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-20-2008

When I try to record audio in Cubase LE my music has a hissing sound in the background. Here is a link to show you what I mean, it is best heard with headphones /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt= [url=http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/125729]http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/125729 [/url]

I have it hooked up with an audio cable from my MM6 into the microphone jack in my laptop. Tis a cheap audio cable (8 bucks) from radioshack. What can I do to fix this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2008 @ 07:31 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Re: Hissing sound/bad quality when recording Audio

Moby,
In basic terms, you need to increase your Signal to Noise ratio.

There are, of course, two ways to affect this:

1> Turn UP the audio on the Sending source, and turn DOWN the gain on the Laptop’s Mic input in the Audio Controls in windows.

2> An 8 dollar cable from R/S is probaly just fine, but if it IS a bad cable, a good cable would decrease NOISE.

That track you point to sounds HORRIBLY clipped, so I presume the MIC Gain is WAY too high.

So in short, turn the output volume UP and the MIC down.

If you want primo audio, and your hardware supports it, record DIGITALLY.  I use the S/PDIF outputs of my ES Rack into a M-Audio Firewire 410 S/PDIF input.  NO added noise.  As in ZILCH. 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2008 @ 11:20 AM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

Hmm, I will try that out after work today and let you know if it worked out. How do you record digitally? I am afraid I don’t know of the inputs or the software (firewire) that you speak of lol. I am very new at this stuff /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt= But thanks for the advice! I will try it soon and let you know!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2008 @ 11:30 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

I am afraid I don’t know of the inputs or the software (firewire) that you speak of lol

It’s actually all hardware.  Many synths these days have either optical or coaxial DIGITAL outputs (sometimes called S/PDIF, Toslink, or other names.) The Firewire 410 is an outboard audio interface that plugs into a Firewire port on the PC.  The 410 has an S/PDIF INPUT that accepts the Motif’s S/PDIF OUTPUT.  Cakewalk understands that box (and most others) natively (I imagine Cubase would, too.) and it becomes available as an INPUT source or OUTPUT destination in audio tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2008 @ 05:06 PM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

Lol sounds expensive ^^ Yeah I turned down the mic’s volume and it works great! Thanks very much for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2008 @ 05:19 PM
tonyali02
Total Posts:  31
Joined  11-24-2007

please explain:

do i double click my volume icon? and which one do i turn down?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2008 @ 07:48 PM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

I go into the control panel, click on sounds speech and audio devices, then I click on sounds and audio devices and another panel comes up. I then click on voice at the top and then click on volume where it says voice recording. I have a windows Xp so I am not sure if it is different if you have a different OS. Hope this helps!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Copying 8 measures (in Song Mode) & inserting it
Next Topic:

Which DAW to buy? ››