mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "AW4416"

Posted on: June 06, 2022 @ 11:34 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

So, just before Christmas, I got my hands on a fabulous Yamaha AW4416. It replaces an old analogue desk whose channels were definitely crackling badly at points. It also means all of the old songs I once recorded on said AW4416 and backed up onto CDs can be restored - I have done that for a particular song just to retrieve the vocal take from a project recorded in the early 2000s.

But my question is this - it has a To Host connection.
The manual talks of running it to an old style serial port - I am thinking that my newish PC doesn’t have the old style kind, but it is adequately supplied with the USB kind. So can I connect the To Host to a USB port (assuming I can get a cable)????

Any experts out there able to point me in any kind of direction ?? :-)

It’s good to pop back and see some old chums still posting too.

Cheers all

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2022 @ 08:14 AM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  163
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

Modern computers rarely have those Serial/COM ports. Twenty years ago, most computers still had them, but they were gradually replaced by USB, and are now more of a specialty item.

Motherboards without a Serial port on the rear cluster may still have an internal pin header. This allows for the addition of a separate connector, that can be mounted elsewhere, so check your motherboard (and its manual) for that.

The To Host port was Yamaha’s way of connecting MIDI equipment to computers back in the 90s. It used the old Serial interface to both transmit and receive MIDI data over a single cable, and could also act as multiple MIDI ports for equipment that needed it. On a computer equipped with a serial port, you would simply install the Yamaha CBX-MIDI driver, and set things up there.

There are USB-to-Serial adapters available, and also PCIe expansion cards with the necessary controllers and ports for your computer. Sadly, there’s no guarantee that the old CBX-MIDI driver will work with one of those. Also note that the CBX-MIDI driver only runs on 32-bit Windows versions.

If you have a separate MIDI interface connected to your computer, you can use the traditional 5-pin MIDI connectors instead.

I hope you find this helpful.

- H -

[ Ignore ]