mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Fading in a part in Performance Mode"

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 05:50 PM
afleming
Total Posts:  8
Joined  04-12-2015

Can anyone tell me how I can use my FC7 foot pedal to fade in a part when in performance mode? Say you have a piano/strings layer and you want to fade in the strings using the foot pedal as it’s a two-handed piano part. Can this be done?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 06:27 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See Volume on page 66 of the MOXF Reference Manual, and set it as loud as you want it to get for the strings Part.

See Receive Switch on page 69 of the Reference Manual, turn Foot Controller 1 on for the strings Part, and off for other Part(s) you don’t want the pedal to control. Plug the FC7 into FC1 (it should default to Expression unless you changed it).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2015 @ 11:06 AM
afleming
Total Posts:  8
Joined  04-12-2015

Thanks SpinDIN. I tried this but it doesn’t work. It’s still fading in all parts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2015 @ 11:56 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
afleming - 15 May 2015 11:06 AM

Thanks SpinDIN. I tried this but it doesn’t work. It’s still fading in all parts.

On the Receive Switch screen, turn on Expression for the strings and turn off Expression for the other PARTS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2015 @ 12:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 15 May 2015 11:56 AM
afleming - 15 May 2015 11:06 AM

On the Receive Switch screen, turn on Expression for the strings and turn off Expression for the other PARTS.

Thanks, cmayhle - I forgot that Expression {CC11} has its own ReceiveSwitch setting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2015 @ 01:05 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 15 May 2015 12:18 PM

...I forgot that Expression {CC11} has its own ReceiveSwitch setting.

Yes, I have that mentally filed under my “quirky” heading!

To the OP, if you are still confused, here is a paraphrased discussion from Bad_Mister in a previous thread:

CONTROL CHANGE 011 (cc011) has a fixed function. That function is always to change the relative volume (Expression) of all items on the currently selected MIDI channel.

Foot Controller defaults to Expression which is cc011 (and will always be performing volume)[...]

If you do not want a PART to follow this command you must tell it not to receive EXPRESSION specifically.

In your PERFORMANCE
Press [EDIT]
Press the PART [1]-[4] to view each PART in turn
Press [F5] RCV SWITCH
EXPRESSION is listed separately… a check means the PART will respond to the FC7 plugged into Foot Controller 1.
Clear the check mark if you would rather the PART ignore changes.

The original answer in the original thread can be found Here, but beware...it is an answer for the Motif XS, so don’t get confused by the specific steps!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2015 @ 10:55 PM
Aggie Piano
Total Posts:  22
Joined  01-10-2015

MOXF8, FC7 - I’d like to use one FC7 plugged into the “foot controller” plug for overall volume and a second FC7 plugged into the “foot assignable” plug to control only one part of the performance.  I’ve been reading the posts for a couple of days and still can’t make the FC7 control only one part in the performance mode. With the FC7 plugged into foot assignable plug, edit the performance, unclick expression and FC2 on all parts except the one I’m trying to control, but it has no affect.  I tried to assign FC2 to expression but I’m missing something.  Part of the issue is translating MO posting into MOXF terms.  I had my S80 for decades, but the move to the MOXF8 has brought new challenges.  All help is appreciated....tony

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2015 @ 12:21 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Aggie Piano, you don’t do this editing in the PERFORMANCE, you will need to program the VOICES that you use at the VOICE level, before you bring them in as PARTS to your PERFORMANCE.  Each USER VOICE that you create will be biased to the proper controller.  They will then behave as you wish.

See This Thread for assistance.  It was posted from some earlier model (2005!), but I am certain you will be able to apply it to your MOXF.

Additionaly, This Article is an excellent reference source for utilizing Physical Controllers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2015 @ 04:27 PM
Aggie Piano
Joined  01-10-2015

Great.  I’ll give this a try.  Thanks for the prompt response..tony

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2015 @ 10:34 PM
Aggie Piano
Joined  01-10-2015

Making some progress. The Physical Controller article helped me understand the process.  With the FC7 plugged into the “foot assignable” plug of the MOXF8:

- In the voice edit mode, I set elmSw(______), set source to MW(01), set dest to volume, depth +63, Output for voice set to 0
And Voila, the modulation wheel controls the volume of the voice.

- In the voice edit mode, I set elmSw(______), set source to FC2(04), set dest to volume, depth +63, Output for voice set to 0…
not so good.  The FC7 has no affect.

- Also, in the Utility edit, I set fc2 to 04[footCtrl].
I also tried setting FC2 to 07[Volume] and 11[Express], but nothing has an affect.

Somehow, I am missing the assignment of “foot assignable” to look at the FC7.  But, getting closer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2015 @ 12:07 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Aggie Piano - 12 August 2015 10:34 PM

… - In the voice edit mode, I set elmSw(______), set source to FC2(04), set dest to volume, depth +63, Output for voice set to 0…
not so good.  The FC7 has no affect....

Instead of setting source to FC2(04), try setting source to FC1(11)[Expression]...(11)[Expression] should be the default for FC1.  Since the MOXF only has (1) FC input (not (2) like my Motif XF), I believe it is not able to respond to FC2 unless it is a MIDI command from an int. or ext. sequencer, or an ext. MIDI controller.

You said you plugged the FC7 into the “Foot Assignable” jack, by which I am assuming you mean “Foot Switch [Assignable]” jack.

This is not the correct jack for a Foot Controller pedal.  Be sure FC7 pedal is connected to the FC [Foot Controller] jack.

Let us know how things work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2015 @ 09:37 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Aggie Piano - 11 August 2015 10:55 PM

MOXF8, FC7 - I’d like to use one FC7 plugged into the “foot controller” plug for overall volume and a second FC7 plugged into the “foot assignable” plug to control only one part of the performance.[...]

The FOOT CONTROLLER jack is designed for use with a continuous controller (such as the FC7), responding to a range of values. The FOOT SWITCH jacks, ASSIGNABLE AND SUSTAIN, normally respond only to on/off. (I wrote “normally” because of http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473171/) Therefore, as cmayhle said, the FOOT SWITCH ASSIGNABLE jack isn’t used with an FC7.

One way to accomplish what you want would be to use the FC7 to control a particular Parameter, and use a volume pedal connected to the MOXF line outputs. Another approach would use an external pedal controller (such as http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm) along with proper FC2 programming. If you use the MIDI Solutions device, their external power adapter will also be needed, since the MOXF can’t power the pedal controller via MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2015 @ 03:53 PM
Aggie Piano
Joined  01-10-2015

I “reread” the labeling on the keyboard, studied the Physical Controllers article and I think I understand.  The software in the MOXF has settings for parameters that are addressable through MIDI control, but are not supported by the hardware.  For example there is a software setting for the breath controller, but no input plug.  That is what I’ve come across in this instance. There is a setting for a second foot controller (FC2), but no input plug for hardware.  I was expecting the “foot switch assignable” to accept the FC7 pedal, but it is expecting a switch (on/off).  The MidiSolutions seems to be a viable alternative, but I have an inline volume pedal that I’ll try on the output line so it will free up the foot controller input plug for the FC7.
Since I am running mono, I guess another solution is to route all voices the left channel except the strings.  Route the strings out the right channel and through the volume pedal.  Then route both outputs into the direct box and merge them there.
Thanks again for working through this with me....tony

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Website for popular song set ups
Next Topic:

Confusion with Volume In Master Mode ››