mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF6 setup with an additional master keyboard"

Posted on: July 13, 2014 @ 04:45 AM
Whirly
Total Posts:  17
Joined  04-13-2006

I demoed the MOXF6 yesterday and would like to get one, but first I got some questions.
I already got a S90, 1st generation, which I’m keeping for the piano action keys and in a live situation I’d like to use it as a master keyboard, triggering piano sounds etc from the MOXF6.

Question are:
1) When using MOXF6 as the sound source, can I assign 8 octaves of a piano sound to my S90 while having 5 octaves of organ, rhodes or pad sounds on the MOXF6?
2) Will I encounter limitations to the polyphony in such a setup? I’m talking about how I will experience this in the real life, not the theoretical limitation.
3) Can I set this up this in a way where each sound keeps the original insert effects or will I have to use send effects (I compare it to S90s Seq Play mode). I.e. loosing the phaser effect on the “Sweetness” rhodes piano will make such a setup a less attractive solution.

Sorry if my questions seems basic, but I’d like to get some information before placing my order.

Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2014 @ 11:29 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

To access two completely separate sounds simultaneously the MOXF will need to be in a multi-timbral mode where you can assign separate MIDI channels. Without setting this up and seeing what other issues might be at play, there might be a way to do this using a Master memory but essentially you should be fine setting up multi-timbral access on a song or pattern mixing page where you can ‘play,’ say, a MOXF piano on MIDI Channel / Track 3 from your S90 set to MIDI Channel 3, and then play your MOXF organ locally on, say, MIDI Channel 1 with the cursor on Track 1.

You will, however, definitely be at the mercy of available polyphony on the MOXF if both piano and organ is being played at the same time.  So, a cautious yes, but not without some restrictions and the set up may take some time and a clear head.

Insert effects will be available/limited to whatever you can have or do on the MOXF in song or pattern mode. You can’t access 16 voices playing in song or pattern sounding exactly as they do in Voice Mode, no, but the MOXF’s insert effects tally is comparatively generous compared to the MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2014 @ 06:09 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
Whirly - 13 July 2014 04:45 AM

1) When using MOXF6 as the sound source, can I assign 8 octaves of a piano sound to my S90 while having 5 octaves of organ, rhodes or pad sounds on the MOXF6?

Only if your S90 has 96 keys. ;-) But sure, you can access 88 keys’ worth of MOXF piano from your S90.

2) Will I encounter limitations to the polyphony in such a setup?

It will depend on the sounds you select. 128 goes pretty far. But let’s say you use the 8 element “all bars + percussion” organ with the 4 element “glasgow” piano sounds, and you use a lot of sustain pedal, that might task it. As I understand it, a 4 note organ chord would use 32 instances of polyphony; the remaining 96 instances of polyphony would support up to 24 sustained keys on the piano. If you’re layering the 4-element “Medium Hall” strings with that piano, the 24 will drop to 12. OTOH, you can find plenty of other piano, organ, and string sounds that are not so demanding in their polyphony requirements.

Can I set this up this in a way where each sound keeps the original insert effects

As long as you are not splitting/layering more than 8 sounds (Voices) on the MOXF, you should be able to set it up so that they all retain their original insert effects.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2014 @ 06:59 AM
Whirly
Total Posts:  17
Joined  04-13-2006

Thanks guys, for your informative replies. From tomorrow my wife will be out traveling for week so I have to act quickly :)

[ Ignore ]