mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FREE OS X - does Cubase AI6 and Yamaha drivers still work"

Posted on: October 22, 2013 @ 01:38 PM
YorkshireLakeside
Total Posts:  46
Joined  06-15-2013

FREE OS X update from Apple today (Question: does Cubase AI6, VycroMX and Yamaha drivers work for the MX?) http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/what-is/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2013 @ 01:50 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The answer is maybe...you can be the first to tell the rest of us!

Yamaha’s official compatibility announcement may be days (or weeks) away.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2013 @ 07:19 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
YorkshireLakeside - 22 October 2013 01:38 PM

FREE OS X update from Apple today (Question: does Cubase AI6, VycroMX and Yamaha drivers work for the MX?) http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/what-is/

if you are referring to Mavericks, I would err on the side of caution and run it on a partition or even another mac for now if you can afford to.  I’m sure it will be great for surfing and general office type applications but music making often (not always) requires a slightly older OS for the best overall compatibility (depending on what you run)

Upgrading could well cause you problems with the other things I’m assuming you probably use for music making on your computer apart from your Yamaha and related software

Apple seem to be bring out new operating systems much more frequently than they ever have and naturally it takes developers (including Yamaha) time to get updates, fixes or compatibility announcements out...and as meatballfulton suggests, it could be a while.

I still run Lion 10.7 for my music macs because I find it to be the optimum operating system and least problematic for the software and plugins that I own.  Many things I own do not work very well in even Mountain Lion yet so Mavericks could be a whole new can of worms

(your mileage may vary though)

A new mac operating system can be very shiny and appealing but I would certainly advise hanging back a while if you can afford to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2013 @ 03:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Testing is currently under way…

There are some issues. So no need to be Mr. Beta… We recommend holding off if music production is core to use of your computer…

Details and updates are expected by the end of next month (November)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2013 @ 03:31 PM
YorkshireLakeside
Joined  06-15-2013
Bad_Mister - 23 October 2013 03:35 AM

Testing is currently under way…

There are some issues. So no need to be Mr. Beta… We recommend holding off if music production is core to use of your computer…

Details and updates are expected by the end of next month (November)

Cool, it seems like it’s in hand :)

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 02:31 AM
pugdealer
Total Posts:  12
Joined  06-16-2013

I’ve installed OS X Mavericks and so far I haven’t had a problem with cubase...can’t vouch for vycro mx or anything else since I only use cubase AI 6

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 05:10 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Doesn’t change the fact that there are issues. We still recommend waiting - that is, we recommend not updating if music production is important and fundamental to your use of your computer. Of course, if you have other reasons more important than making music that this updates addresses then by all means go ahead.

But just because *you* have not had any issues means little, I’d trust the engineers at Yamaha to do the testing, and I’d wait for their updates based on their systematic and thorough testing. If they initially found zero issues, they would have happily stated that, but they stated the opposite!!! Are you saying that you thoroughly tested everything?

(It’s a rhetorical question… No reply necessary)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2013 @ 12:38 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

Sorry, wrong FORUM… :)

I think “Louie The Lug Nut” is back!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2013 @ 08:46 AM
thesingingdj
Total Posts:  3
Joined  07-25-2011

Oops too late, I went ahead and upgraded to Maverick since being first time Mac mini user (i7 16gig) just thought I was doing the right thing with having the latest firmware and jumped right in. Also first time user with Cubase AI6 that came with MX61. Followed excellent guide from this forum to setup my MX with Cubase, so far so good. Played back midi file with all channels midi to the MX sounds great, thou my exported Mixdown wave file came out empty ? Only just now asking for help with 2 other MX users how to successfully export Mixdown in Cubase including if I was wanting to Mixdown with Halion SE and the MX combined. While waiting for reply, last nite I connected my MX outputs via Alesis USB stereo cables back into Mac mini and successfully recorded with punchy results into the Microwave Editor app since upgrading the MX new firmware with new volume increase etc. Previously over a 4 week period, I wasn’t able to find my way through successfully using the MX with Logic Pro X with the external instrument and environment setup. I only wish Yamaha could release an MX editor like they did for my XS rack so we can see all 16 channels and edit the sounds etc. The XS editor is the best thing, I’m nearly wanting to go back and setup my XS rack to have the luxury of using the editor because with the MX your virtually operating blind folded unless you have imported the XML file via Midi Device Manage in Cubase to select your patches.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2013 @ 09:10 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Followed excellent guide from this forum to setup my MX with Cubase, so far so good. Played back midi file with all channels midi to the MX sounds great, thou my exported Mixdown wave file came out empty ?

MIDI tracks cannot be EXPORTED via AUDIO MIXDOWN, unless you have setup VSTi Routing… and this is not possible without a VST Editor for the MX. You can record audio directly to an AUDIO TRACK via the MX’s USB “TO HOST” port but in order to use the FILE > EXPORT > AUDIO MIXDOWN, this is for transferring audio tracks and/or audio RETURNS via VSTi Routing.

We are still awaiting VSTi versions of the MX Editor - standby.

In the meantime you can simply setup an AUDIO Track set to receive audio via the MX USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2013 @ 05:25 PM
thesingingdj
Joined  07-25-2011

Thank you so much for clearing this up, very much appreciated.
I did exactly as you explained, setup an audio track (armed) and press record and presto 100 % recorded audio file of my MX61 :)
Went to my Cubase saved project file and found the recorded wave file, so very happy :)
I also imported this wave file into Microwave app to boost the audio level a little more to match my other backing tracks I use for live gigs.
As mention before, I rushed into updating to my new Mac mini to Maverick not knowing it may of been a grey area regarding Cubase and MX projects but I guess with what I’ve done today it seems to be fine so far.

Thanks so much again, full steam ahead to my next song :) cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2013 @ 01:52 AM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

Just in case you are not familiar with Cubase: in order not to get an empty audio file with AUDIO MIXDOWN function, you have to manually set the start and end point of your exported mix (you will find two small pointers on top of your tracks).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2013 @ 05:07 AM
thesingingdj
Joined  07-25-2011

Thanks so much KostasT much appreciated. I’m very lucky to find this forum. Looking forward to returning the favour if I’m able to help someone else. Many thanks :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2013 @ 03:03 PM
YorkshireLakeside
Joined  06-15-2013

Update available.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/archive/2013/11/22/article/compatibility-info-on-windows-81-os-x-109-2609.html

Is there anything to add before I continue?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2013 @ 01:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Those are Steinberg updates, these do not include the Yamaha MX49/61 Extensions, nor does it include the VycroMX (although I’m not aware of issues there)… Just saying. Yamaha will make announcements about the various software by the November. The announcements will either be an update or a schedule of when it is expected.

What benefits in mavericks is so important… We still recommend waiting.

[ Ignore ]