mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Will there me a new version of the S90 comming out soon?"

Posted on: April 27, 2013 @ 05:37 AM
dblues
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-25-2013

I noticed that the S90XS is being discounted on a couple of the online sites.

I was wondering if Yamaha is getting ready to release a new flagship instrument in this series (or even the Motif)?

Any inside news? I am planning to get one but if a new model is coming out I will wait!

Thanks,

db

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2013 @ 04:18 AM
angelkeys
Total Posts:  77
Joined  03-27-2011

I would like to see Yamaha enlarge the screen,even the s90es had a larger screen

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2013 @ 08:00 PM
mike88
Total Posts:  11
Joined  11-16-2002

That’s the primary reason I didn’t buy a S90xs, the size of the screen. Also, How about moving the pitch and modulation wheels back up higher on the keyboard like the original S90. That saves about 6 inches in length. The majority of us don’t have roadies, so size DOES matter. To make it perfect, add the ability to use a flash memory expansion module in it also. I want to use those Chick Corea samples on a weighted keyboard. My XF6 just doesn’t do it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2013 @ 09:11 PM
ThermalStudios
Total Posts:  12
Joined  10-30-2002

I’m just starting to research my next synth purchase after a long period of not paying attention to this model or that. I’m amazed that the best choice for a computer music producer is a the s90xs, a model that was released in 2009. By tech standards this is really stale. I have realized that firewire is an endangered I/O format so my theory is that the Thunderbolt computer inferface is going to be the next big connection type and that the synth manufacturers are waiting (and waiting) for that format to hit the market. Seems like the Korgs are pretty stale too.

I have come to the conclusion that the best option is to wait or seek out a used s90 so I don’t pay full price for a dated synth.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2013 @ 07:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Just so you don’t go with the (stale) information you posted ... :-)

The S90 XS does not and cannot use FW to connect to the computer, the Motif XF can with the optional FW16E expansion. The S-series is a Stage Synth… Motif-series are the workstation with FW/Ethernet connectivity

Thunderbolt is FW compatible, breathing perhaps another decade out of FW connectivity (your info on this is very stale,actually) Thunderbolt to FW adapter will cost you an Apple friendly $29.99

Your reason to buy something older and closer to obsolescence, is kind of strange, and very counterintuitive.

If we can help answer some questions for you, please feel free to ask, but you will wind up drawing incorrect conclusions if you base it on false premises.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2013 @ 08:17 AM
ThermalStudios
Total Posts:  12
Joined  10-30-2002

It’s 2013. Spending a lot of money on computer tech built in 2009 isn’t a wise investment. To Yamaha’s credit, I’m not seeing a viable alternative unless I want to pay an extra $1500 for a lot of recording features I will never use. That’s how I feel about the Kronos and Mo XF. I do computer based recording mainly. I’m looking for a high quality sound effect base for production and a nice 88 key keyboard. Soft synths seem to be the way to go at this point but I have experienced latency issues in the past (older computer) so I’m a little nervouse about going that route.

On the firewire thing, what I was eluding to (poorly) is that you can’t buy a PC with firewire anymore. You have to add on aftermarket stuff which adds to the instability of a system. Eliminating the need for an external audio interface was really appealling to me when I look at the XF. But the cost didn’t justify it. Your post gives me the feeling that Yamaha is moving forward with the assumption that musicians want that extra piece of computer interface hardware. We don’t :) It’s one more thing that causes hardware conflicts and lengthy setup time. I keep hoping that the next generation of synths has the computer inferface (including monitoring) figured out but it still feels like they have a long way to go.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2013 @ 10:13 PM
matje
Total Posts:  45
Joined  12-12-2012

2 weeks ago I was talking with my Yamaha dealer. I asked him if he knows something about the future of the S90 series. In Europe sales of the S90 and Motif are going down. In the near future there is not coming a new S90 or Motif. Because of the crisis there is no money for development. There is coming a new firmware for the Motif, for the S90 is not known. I think manufactures like Yamaha are waiting for a stable economy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2013 @ 12:05 PM
dblues
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-25-2013

I agree 2009 tech is a bit dated in this day and age!
At least they should tell us if they are working on new instruments.

I saw a Roland stage piano that was more expensive than the SX90. The S90 is a synth AND a stage piano..hence the reason I want to get one! However I don’t want to buy a dated instrument!

The new Casio machine - Priva PX5S is less than a grand an has some pretty decent sounds and 256 note polyphony (they claim)!

Think I will wait and see if anything new comes out.

db

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ CP5 - FS to control Leslie speed
Next Topic:

Balanced Hammer or Graded Hammer? ››