mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sustain not recorded in song mode? XF8"

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 01:52 AM
perony
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-23-2012

I am brand new to the Motif and still learning the ins and outs. I’m generally good at working simple things like this out myself, but after searching the user manual and google, I cannot seem to find an answer.

I tried recording a simple piano melody in song mode, but when I play it back, there is no sustain on the notes; it is choppy. When I play, and record, the sustain works just fine, but in playback, it disappears. I also noticed that while playing back the recoding, if I press the sustain, it sustains just as if I was playing live, but it is a recording. I want whatever I’m doing with the sustain pedal while I’m recoding, to be captured while I’m recoding so during playback, the notes are sustained as they should be.

I am using the Motif XF8 and Yamaha FC3 pedal (both brand new).

I assume this is a simple setting change I need to make, I just cannot seem to find it.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 02:01 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi perony ,
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new Motif XF8.
I would suggest, aside from posting on the Forum, to try the handy Search functions right here on the Forum. Top of page.

Have fun learning your Motif, and all the time, well spent here at Motifator.

Good luck!

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 02:04 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The answer will sound strange - but… MIDI cannot be heard. MIDI is a series of coded messages that are recorded to a track. Although you heard the sustain pedal during play - remember it is not the audio that is being recorded.

What happens to most piano players playing synth is this simple mistake: You cannot press the sustain pedal before Measure 001, Beat 1, Clock 000.  That means if your toe is down on the pedal when recording begins, although you HEAR the sound sustaining, the sequencer did not register you stepping on the pedal.

If you look at your EVENT list your first SUSTAIN EVENT (cc064) is not an ON event, because you stepped on the sustain pedal BEFORE the sequencer went into record. It is that simple. Re-record your performance but this time make sure you start without your foot on the pedal.

Hope that helps… Welcome to the forums.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2012 @ 04:03 AM
perony
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-23-2012

Yep, I feel like a genius! I didn’t realize I was doing that until you said something; I normally don’t miss things like that. Anyways, thanks so much for the help!

[ Ignore ]