mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX Knobs 1-8"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 12:31 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011

Hey there,

Just a quick heads up that the knobs of the MOX marked 1-8 for controlling voice parameters, zone functions, etc actually pop off fairly easily. I had one come off while putting it in my gig bag, and luckily saw it on the floor as I was packing up.

Since the stock power supply is also kinda chintzy, I have been wanting to have a backup, so I thought it would to be a good idea to order some spare knobs as well. I called Yamaha and the power supply (PA-150) is $39.99 and the knobs are $2.10each. (I ordered 8)

Anybody have a good recommendation for a good soft shell case for the MOX6? I have an older yamaha generic gig bag that fits pretty well but doesn’t have much padding.

Thanks!
Ben

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 01:39 PM
Aulis
Total Posts:  27
Joined  01-28-2011

So, it’s not only on the Kronos where the knobs are falling off then ;)
Well it happend to my MOX6 also, I have a soft Rockbag and now and then I found one or more of them still inside the bag.
Maybe better have them falling off than braking the encoder shaft.
I agree, perhaps a better padded or a hardcase is needed.

All the best
Aulis G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 02:46 PM
saxmanjack
Total Posts:  56
Joined  08-25-2011

If they’re that loose, couldn’t you try putting a dab of caulk or lock-tite on the shafts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2011 @ 12:55 AM
benj00
Joined  06-03-2011

Well, that would be a good fix except for the fact that that would make it almost impossible to remove them without damaging the shaft they are attached to, which you would need to do if you ever need to fix a busted key or do any internal repairs. (The knobs have to be removed in order to open up the keyboard)

Ben

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2011 @ 02:16 AM
phloid
Total Posts:  126
Joined  06-22-2011
benj00 - 07 September 2011 12:31 PM

...Since the stock power supply is also kinda chintzy, I have been wanting to have a backup, so I thought it would to be a good idea to order some spare knobs as well. I called Yamaha and the power supply (PA-150) is $39.99…

That thin wire-like cord is questionable as is the loosely mounted input jack. Good luck getting the jack repaired when it breaks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2011 @ 10:02 AM
saxmanjack
Joined  08-25-2011
benj00 - 08 September 2011 12:55 AM

Well, that would be a good fix except for the fact that that would make it almost impossible to remove them without damaging the shaft they are attached to, which you would need to do if you ever need to fix a busted key or do any internal repairs. (The knobs have to be removed in order to open up the keyboard)

Ben

Right, it would have to be a compound that would increase friction without actually bonding to the plastic…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2011 @ 03:04 AM
benj00
Joined  06-03-2011

Yes,

Regarding the jack, those are my thoughts exactly, would much rather have a standard three prong jack, so much sturdier. Its sad that spending $1200 doesn’t allow for good build quality all around.

As far as the knobs go, I am guessing the same principle applies. There are ways to make “pots” stick (stay in place) better and the budget probably just wasn’t there for the MOX. The sounds are great, the action is good, and the user interface is nice once you get into it, but clearly Yamaha was trying to save money and reduce the overall weight.

My two cents,
Ben

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2011 @ 07:21 AM
rogs
Total Posts:  121
Joined  07-16-2011
saxmanjack - 08 September 2011 10:02 AM

Right, it would have to be a compound that would increase friction without actually bonding to the plastic…

Silicon rubber sealant perhaps?  ---(the good stuff, not the bathroom rubbish!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2011 @ 08:13 AM
FifthElement
Total Posts:  19
Joined  08-30-2011
benj00 - 12 September 2011 03:04 AM

Yes,

Regarding the jack, those are my thoughts exactly, would much rather have a standard three prong jack, so much sturdier. Its sad that spending $1200 doesn’t allow for good build quality all around.

As far as the knobs go, I am guessing the same principle applies. There are ways to make “pots” stick (stay in place) better and the budget probably just wasn’t there for the MOX. The sounds are great, the action is good, and the user interface is nice once you get into it, but clearly Yamaha was trying to save money and reduce the overall weight.

My two cents,
Ben

Yep, some sacrifices had to be made to get to that price and weight (MOX8 particularly) but I for one am very pleased they did. The lightweight plastic also scratches and marks very easily but I can live with that to gig with the lightest, best sounding, best action 88 weighted workstation I have ever had!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2011 @ 09:08 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The lightweight plastic also scratches and marks very easily but I can live with that to gig with the lightest, best sounding, best action 88 weighted workstation I have ever had!

Micro-fiber. Get one of those micro fiber cloths - removes the scratch marks intantly - works like magic (no spray or liquid necessary) - if the microfiber cloth was damp a week ago, that is enough moisture. Removes those marks like magic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2011 @ 11:56 AM
saxmanjack
Joined  08-25-2011

The knobs aren’t really an issue - they’re not going to just “fall off” without being pulled or snagged. The case surface seems to be textured kinda like extra-fine sandpaper; something rubbing against it will transfer a mark or “scratch”, but these easily rub out. DC input jack isn’t any more “loose” than on other devices I’ve used for decades without any problems…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2011 @ 12:49 PM
bilboben
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-21-2011

I have found this bag really good. The first review is mine. I am in the U K.
http://www.djmmusic.com/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=F3-K-B&MatrixType=2

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2011 @ 04:22 AM
phloid
Joined  06-22-2011
saxmanjack - 12 September 2011 11:56 AM

The knobs aren’t really an issue - they’re not going to just “fall off” without being pulled or snagged. The case surface seems to be textured kinda like extra-fine sandpaper; something rubbing against it will transfer a mark or “scratch”, but these easily rub out. DC input jack isn’t any more “loose” than on other devices I’ve used for decades without any problems…

The jack is flimsy so it looks like you must buy flimsy devices. ...and decades? Have you carted these devices around setting them up and taking them down multiple times over the decades?

I am having a hard time believing your claim. Can you name these other devices? Some people here will have knowledge of them so it can only serve to add credibility to your claim.

The knobs already came off of the OPs MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2011 @ 04:24 AM
phloid
Joined  06-22-2011
benj00 - 07 September 2011 12:31 PM

Hey there,

Just a quick heads up that the knobs of the MOX marked 1-8 for controlling voice parameters, zone functions, etc actually pop off fairly easily. I had one come off while putting it in my gig bag, and luckily saw it on the floor as I was packing up.

Since the stock power supply is also kinda chintzy, I have been wanting to have a backup, so I thought it would to be a good idea to order some spare knobs as well. I called Yamaha and the power supply (PA-150) is $39.99 and the knobs are $2.10each. (I ordered 8)

Anybody have a good recommendation for a good soft shell case for the MOX6? I have an older yamaha generic gig bag that fits pretty well but doesn’t have much padding.

Thanks!
Ben

There is a reason the light weight is such a big deal to people. This is supposed to be a musician’s instrument that gets toted around for performances. How long can anything last when it is as fragile as an egg? Eggs are packaged in cartons. A gigbag is asking for trouble. Invest the money you saved that should have gone into a durable product by purchasing a hard shell case. You will forget how much it cost soon enough but you will suffer longer if you badly damage your instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2011 @ 08:48 AM
saxmanjack
Joined  08-25-2011

What’s your specific complaint with the DC input jack? Took a closer look at mine - there’s nothing “flimsy” or “loose” about it. Sure, it can be moved slightly side-to-side when plugged in - nothing wrong with having some flex designed into such a connection. ...and did you notice there is a ‘prong’ molded into the casing just above the jack to secure the wire to, if you’re concerned about it being accidentally pulled out?

A decent gig bag would be perfectly adequate protection for toting a MOX6. IMO, heavier keyboards are better off in a hard shell case - a 30+ lb unit is going to hit much harder if knocked or dropped than a 15 lb one.

This MOX does not appear to be any less of a “durable product” than the Korg Poly 800II I owned and used/abused for 25 years without any breakage/failure.  If you want a keyboard that is built like a tank and has a 3-prong AC power plug, there are still some discontinued Kurzweil PC361’s available for half-price. But be prepared to lug around 30+ pounds, and all those reports of reliability issues and sudden total failure cannot be ignored…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2011 @ 03:06 PM
benj00
Joined  06-03-2011

Hmmm,

As far as the knobs go, they do seem to slide off a little easier than other keyboards I’ve had. I would settle for the two prong jack that the nords have, seems sturdier all around. My concern with the stock jack is that someone (fellow bandmate, me, etc) will step on the cord and cause the jack to become loose, as there is some play in the jack, when the cord is plugged in. When you plug in the two prong jack, it has a more snug fit and there is more surface area to absorb a good tug on the cable. I did have a similar problem happen before with a sound module I had, years ago, that had a similar style dc jack. I think it was the kurzweil micro piano or something similar.

Ben

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ ES6 to MOX
Next Topic:

What’s the story with the MOX6 gig bag ??? ››