mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Soon to be… new MOX8 Owner ~ Help me shop!"

Posted on: September 03, 2011 @ 08:15 PM
JonXF7
Total Posts:  35
Joined  09-03-2011

Just wanted to say hello to my new favorite forum buddies!

I used to play a bit of guitar but haven’t done that in a few years.

Today I bought a MOX8..... now I need to get an Amp, Stand, Bench and whatever else I might “need”.

Can some of you give ideas on “Must Have” items? I suppose a pedal is needed, which do you recommend?

For the Amp, I am leaning towards a Roland KC 150 -350.... that’s what the Guitar Center guy said was good… my use will be 95% in my home office and the other tiny bit may be if I take the keyboard to a friends to play with a bunch of buddies.

What’s a good stand to buy? And any thoughts on what’s a good bench for the home studio?

Anything else you can think of would be nice to hear!

Thanks!

Jon

P.S. Yeah, I know.... I need to change my screen name!!  :/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2011 @ 10:49 PM
saxmanjack
Total Posts:  56
Joined  08-25-2011

OK, here’s what you do: Assuming you bought your MOX at GuitarCenter, go back and tell them that the Music123 webstore has an extra 15% off and is giving a free stand and headphones with purchase (check if they’re still doing that promotion and when it expires). GC will match the price and give you the free stand.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2011 @ 11:00 PM
JonXF7
Joined  09-03-2011
saxmanjack - 03 September 2011 10:49 PM

OK, here’s what you do: Assuming you bought your MOX at GuitarCenter, go back and tell them that the Music123 webstore has an extra 15% off and is giving a free stand and headphones with purchase (check if they’re still doing that promotion and when it expires). GC will match the price and give you the free stand.

That sounds decent but.... I paid $1349.... music123’s best price with the discount is $1444.... so it’s pretty much a wash.

(they will throw in the stand and headset worth about the amount I have saved over MUSIC123’s price...) same, same.

Thanks for the thought though....

Jon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2011 @ 11:26 PM
phloid
Total Posts:  126
Joined  06-22-2011

I would look into a small PA so you could play the MOX in stereo. With that you would also gain some flexibility when it came to the number of buddies and instruments in your gatherings. You could use some of the ARPs to fill in the gaps. A stereo PA will spread the sound out which would be much better than having one pile coming out of a single box. For the home office you could get away with a pair of headphones.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2011 @ 12:36 AM
saxmanjack
Total Posts:  56
Joined  08-25-2011
JonXF6 - 03 September 2011 11:00 PM
saxmanjack - 03 September 2011 10:49 PM

That sounds decent but.... I paid $1349.... music123’s best price with the discount is $1444.... so it’s pretty much a wash.

(they will throw in the stand and headset worth about the amount I have saved over MUSIC123’s price...) same, same.

Thanks for the thought though....

Jon

great price; OK, nevermind…
What was the place selling the MOX6 for?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2011 @ 03:40 PM
FifthElement
Total Posts:  19
Joined  08-30-2011

Firstly, don’t buy the Roland KC! I like Roland gear but the KC amps are notoriously bad. Just play a clean piano sound through one and you will hear the problem immediately. If you want to go Roland go for one of their acoustic amps (AC series). They have multiple channels and a mic input if you need it.

As others have said, you need a clean stereo output as with a PA or a decent quality powered speaker (or two) if you are going to do small gigs.

Gratz on the MOX8. Wonderful instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2011 @ 06:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Keyboards amps are awful, particular for your application. If most of the time you will be playing at home (why wouldn’t you get a stereo rig). If you only occassionaly go to play with buddies, then I can highly recommend a system that high fidelity enough for monitoring at home, and plenty loud enough to jam with buddies and certainly powerful enough to used in all applications. And compared to keyboard amps - these powered PA cabinets are high-fidelity… make the comparison yourself.

Get a pair of Yamaha MSR 100 Active speaker

or

Yamaha StagePas 300

or

Yamaha StagePas 500

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2011 @ 07:26 PM
msteg
Total Posts:  1
Joined  09-04-2011

Are you at liberty to say where/how you got the MOX8 for $1349?  I just bought one from Musician’s Friend.  I paid less than the minimum advertised price, but more than you paid.

I’m new here...is it against the rules to go into pricing/vendor info?

Sincerely,
Worst Haggler Ever
(Matt)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2011 @ 09:38 PM
JonXF7
Joined  09-03-2011
msteg - 04 September 2011 07:26 PM

Are you at liberty to say where/how you got the MOX8 for $1349?  I just bought one from Musician’s Friend.  I paid less than the minimum advertised price, but more than you paid.

I’m new here...is it against the rules to go into pricing/vendor info?

Sincerely,
Worst Haggler Ever
(Matt)

This holiday weekend Guitar Center has a sale going on.. there was a $100 rebate that brought the price down to $1599, and then they had a 15% off coupon, which brought it down to $1359.... ooops, I paid ten more than I thought!!

So, I jumped on it.. seemed like a good deal!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2011 @ 09:41 PM
JonXF7
Joined  09-03-2011
Bad_Mister - 04 September 2011 06:43 PM

Keyboards amps are awful, particular for your application. If most of the time you will be playing at home (why wouldn’t you get a stereo rig). If you only occassionaly go to play with buddies, then I can highly recommend a system that high fidelity enough for monitoring at home, and plenty loud enough to jam with buddies and certainly powerful enough to used in all applications. And compared to keyboard amps - these powered PA cabinets are high-fidelity… make the comparison yourself.

Get a pair of Yamaha MSR 100 Active speaker

or

Yamaha StagePas 300

or

Yamaha StagePas 500

Thanks everyone for your ideas/thoughts!!

Ok… I think I’ll try either the Stagepass 300 OR the MSR100 (a pair so it’s stereo).

Which do you guys think is better? These two are both about the same cost..... so is one of these better than the other?

Thanks again!!

Jon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2011 @ 02:49 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

I agree with the folks saying a PA type of setup will do more justice to the MOX than a Roland keyboard amp. In the price range of that Roland KC-350, I’d look at the EV ZXA1. If you want stereo, when budget permits, you could get a second one. But whatever you audition, I suggest you focus on the piano sound. If something sounds good and natural for piano, you can expect everything else to sound good. But not the other way around.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2011 @ 02:52 PM
Thisby
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-17-2011

I’m in a situation similar to JonXF7 (and damn, I wish we had the same prices in Europe...): also a soon-to-be owner of a MOX8. I already have an amp, and I don’t think I’ll need help buying a stand or a bench, but I’d welcome any recommendation you guys can give me as far as headphones and a case are concerned.

I found a matching Kaces case while browsing around. The price, weight and wheels make it appealing to me, but I have a feeling that it won’t protect anything with a cover that thin, and I’ll be moving the MOX around in my car about twice a week. Any “reasonable”—so, not in the $300 range—recommendation?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Power On Mode
Next Topic:

Playlist ››