mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF as controller for Logic?"

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 01:41 PM
ScottB601
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-17-2010

I have an M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 that I use as a portable controller for Logic 9, allowing me to play all of Logic’s software instruments. I’ve searched WWW and here and can’t find a definitive answer. Can the XF be used reliably as a controller for playing the software instruments in Logic 9? I want to turn XF local control off, and press a key, and have it trigger the same key in a software instrument or two within Logic. Not interested per se in using it as a control surface.....just as a controller keyboard.

Does this involve the mLAN thingie?

Can it be done USB?

Thanks in advance. There’s lots of posts on using a DAW to play the XF, but I can’t find any that speak of using the XF to play the DAW.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 03:37 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Yes, you can use the Motif as a controller keyboard for Logic. You can use USB MIDI to send MIDI messages to Logic. So it would basically be setup exactly like the Axiom Pro.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 03:39 PM
ScottB601
Joined  02-17-2010

Obviously, my XF isnt’ here yet..........USB Midi? How is that port labeled on the back of the ‘board? The Axiom auto-mapped and set itself up. I’m sure there will be more steps with the XF, yes?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 04:03 PM
LYO
Total Posts:  172
Joined  07-08-2008
ScottB601 - 04 December 2010 03:39 PM

Obviously, my XF isnt’ here yet..........USB Midi? How is that port labeled on the back of the ‘board? The Axiom auto-mapped and set itself up. I’m sure there will be more steps with the XF, yes?

After you install the Yamaha Motif XF Driver, you open Logic, create an instrument track, Select your Software Plug and play your XF. As you mention earlier, Local Off in the XF.. have fun!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 10:00 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

RE:

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 10:15 PM
ScottB601
Joined  02-17-2010

Bazinga!
Thanks for the help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 10:51 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

The basic point of my post was offering help in the form of pointing to the Logic Forum here where this question has been addressed for quite some time, in addition to the advice that perhaps you might want to consider the possibility of syncing the XF to the DAW as well. If you are going to be using the XF, at some point it’s only logical to have the Audio / MIDI from the XF available or present in the DAW as well.

I’ve read about problems with the Yamaha mLAN setup

I am unaware of a ‘problems’ with mLAN setup. It’s pretty straightforward. I’ve written a tutorial here in the logic forum to help nubies navigate the unchartered waters…

Concerning, the Oasys: hate to hear about your difficulties with it. Question? Who did you buy it from? Were they not a resource to you. At $8000, someone would’ve had to come to my house and set it up or I would have returned it… :)

Peace…

ps… there is some funky spell check either in my browser or on this site that absolutely butchers my spelling

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 11:05 PM
ScottB601
Joined  02-17-2010

motif8mine said:
“I am unaware of a ‘problems’ with mLAN setup. It’s pretty straightforward. I’ve written a tutorial here in the logic forum to help nubies navigate the unchartered waters… “

Could I have a link to the tutorial? Even though I know a lot more than I let on, being humble and all, I’m always looking for new information.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2010 @ 11:58 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

ScottB601,
Here is the link

peace…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2010 @ 12:01 AM
ScottB601
Joined  02-17-2010

Thanks pal.
Hilariously, and ironically,I already have that stuff on my computer, having downloaded it a while back. GREAT set up. Thanks for posting it. Can’t wait to try it out!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2010 @ 12:54 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

no problem… again, setup should essentially be the same on the XF…
take care…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2010 @ 03:02 AM
Gospelpad160
Total Posts:  316
Joined  01-25-2006

I didn’t look at motif8mine’s post too closely but I do want to say that I use the mlan connection with Logic so that you get the audio benefit.  Logic sounds really good comming through the Motif and it cuts out having to use another audio interface.  You will like using only one chord from the computer to the Motif!

[ Ignore ]