mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS files and XF files. Compatibility?"

Posted on: November 21, 2010 @ 07:57 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

I have several friends using an XF, while I still have an XS. However I would appreciate a possibility to exchange files with my friends (no midi files) but system files.

For 99 percent I am sure that is not possible, still I have hopes for 1 percent that it is.

Is there another way of exchanging files between XF and XS besides midi or audio wav files? or trading in my XS?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2010 @ 08:36 AM
tuquoque
Total Posts:  563
Joined  08-15-2007

Your friends can open and edit your XS files but you cannot open or edit the XF files made by your friends, without using some software editor that supports both OR Yamaha updating the OS of XS. That is 100% sure, sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2010 @ 11:11 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

tuquoque

thanks for your quick respons. Do I understand you well that it will be a matter of time, and Yamaha makes it possible for me to receive XF files from my friends?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2010 @ 11:38 AM
tuquoque
Total Posts:  563
Joined  08-15-2007
jan bruijn - 21 November 2010 11:11 AM

Do I understand you well that it will be a matter of time, and Yamaha makes it possible for me to receive XF files from my friends?

I do hope they would make it possible, but I am afraid they will not. Of course I am just wild guessing here, only Yamaha reps know what will happen. In any case the backwards compatibility would be only partly possible, because XF has some waveforms and some arpeggios XS does not have.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2010 @ 03:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1,307 new Waveforms
Additional USER banks both in PERFORMANCE mode and VOICE mode
1148 additonal Arpeggios
and a very significantly different filing system

The only problem with thinking that they are same is believing those who insist it is, when it is not. The newer keyboard can read the previous keyboard - this is the same as it ever was since the Motif > Motif ES > Motif XS and now the Motif XF.
It has never, ever been the other way ‘round.

As many things that can be updated for the XS will be (when the update arrives) - we’ll have to wait and see if any changes are made to that can address file compatibility. But if history is any indicator - I would not count on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2010 @ 12:32 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Bad Mister,

I already suspected problems with downwards compatibility of the XF to XS. Never mind. It is not really an issue. There are many ways to achieve my goal.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2016 @ 02:21 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

Ritchie - I’m actually digging into an equivalent question of can I create an XS file from my XF all file.  You cannot do it directly, but ... I’m told this is possible with work using Waveform Editor.  Open a new XS file (blank.  Take your XF all file, open it in Waveform Editor.  Copy Voices from the XF file to the XS file and it will remap the preset waveforms accordingly, and copy and user waveforms over. 

After done, save the XS All file and put it on a USB stick and off you go to your XS to try it out.  HOWEVER, as I sorted through risks, I see two big ones:

1. XF has preset waveforms not in XS (was it about a 50% increase from XS to XF?).  Any voices that use XF preset waveforms not in XS will have a dummy waveform number loaded (no waveform) when you copy to the XS file.  These voices will not play those element(s).  There is no way to copy a preset waveform into a new User waveform (per BM).  There are correlation matrices on motifator that can identify presets not in XS, and maybe a substitute waveform is close enough.  or a substitute voice in that instance.

2. User samples will be transferred to the new XS file but it will require the XS has expansion DINN memory boards and of course they are volatile so have to be reloaded every restart.  User Waveforms in the new All file can’t exceeed the memory size installed in the XS.

I haven’t started analyzing my library for issue #1 above. I doubt #2 will be a problem for me, you may already have memory installed. 

I spent last night starting on a v-rig project in macbook/mainstage instead.  I got my XF to send midi messages to Mainstage for the first time so I could play in Mainstage, sort of fun new world to explore ...

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Keyfax reputable?
Next Topic:

Tap Tempo Again ››