mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif rack with Logic"

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 02:57 PM
JRG970
Total Posts:  6
Joined  09-23-2010

I just got motif rack and want to use it in Logic as a MIDI instrument.

I need to know how to set this up, I have MIDI IN\OUT cables hooked up to AKAI MPK49 and MPK connected by USB to my macbook pro.

I am new to this so I will need the full run down on how this works.

I also downloaded an environment from http://www.logicprofiles.com/welcome/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=15

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 06:45 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

I just got motif rack and want to use it in Logic as a MIDI instrument.

What does this mean? Are you wanting to monitor the Motif Rack audio within Logic? If that is the case, you must obtain an Audio Interface, first…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 07:58 PM
JRG970
Joined  09-23-2010

I want to be able to use the sounds from the motif rack thru my MIDI keyborad, to record MIDI into Logic. I have the MIDI IN/OUT cables hooked up from the motif into the AKAI MPK49 and the MPK plugged into my cpu thru USB. I want to know if I can select the external instrument in the logic channel strip and play the sounds that are in the motif. I hope this makes sense. I have also got the SM2 program loaded with the motif (voice) and (multi), and not sure what to select for the MIDI channel inputs.

I also have an apogee audio interface

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 09:15 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

JRG970,

We’re going to confuse one another if we don’t use the same terminology. And I want to make this clear: you don’t need the Motif Rack to record MIDI per se. MIDI is numerical data only. So you can play the MPK49 and have it trigger the Motif Rack sound generator but, the audio will never reach Logic unless you also connect the outputs of the Motif Rack to the Apogee Duet (I assume) inputs.

The Motif’s Audio should now be present within Logic. If you want to record the Motif’s audio, you setup Stereo Audio Tracks and in their Track Inspector’s I/O sections, set the Inputs to the Apogee’s outputs- normally 1-2…

As for the MIDI, there are several ways to go here… And, much of it has to do with how you setup the MPK to operate within Logic. But let me first state that if SM2 stands for Studio Manager, as I think it does, the Motif Rack requires a USB connection for that to work because regular MIDI cables cannot properly ‘port’ MIDI to the Editor. And, installing the latest Yamaha USB MIDI Driver is also essential.

In fact, that is my preferred way to go. It also simplifies the process of porting MIDI to the Motif Rack from within Logic. You can use a USB hub if you need more USB slots but the MPK will still control the Motif Rack, which, if you are going to mutli-track MIDI, should be in Multi mode…

The following post deals with the Motif XS specifically but, it will give you the basics of setting up the Motif in Logic and how to record MIDI… Link To MIDI Setup

Let me know if there are any problems…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2010 @ 08:05 PM
JRG970
Joined  09-23-2010

Thank you for your help I have got my set up all figured out !!

[ Ignore ]