mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "External MIDI Bounce?"

Posted on: August 17, 2010 @ 11:07 AM
KwinDot_Prod
Total Posts:  50
Joined  07-18-2010

Ive recorded external MIDI data from my MO6 into Logic, I am happy with my productions and I want to bounce the mix into MP3.

I tried creating external instrument tracks and dragging the MIDI tracks onto them so I could bounce in realtime, but it still isnt working for some reason.

Is there something I am not doing right or is there a completely different procedure I should be completing to go about this task?
Maybe External MIDI to Audio tracks?

Please help.
Much thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2010 @ 01:59 PM
freekey58
Total Posts:  37
Joined  11-15-2008
KwinDot_Prod - 17 August 2010 11:07 AM

I tried creating external instrument tracks and dragging the MIDI tracks onto them so I could bounce in realtime, but it still isnt working for some reason.

Correct me if i don’t understand you right, but you should create tracks with software-instruments, and paste your midi there.
It’s either that, or record your external instrument tracks as audio in Logic first.

Then you should be able to bounce the audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2010 @ 01:37 PM
KwinDot_Prod
Joined  07-18-2010

How do I go about changing the External Instrument track into Audio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2010 @ 04:23 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

How do I go about changing the External Instrument track into Audio?

Remember our discussion here?

KwinDot_Prod - 20 July 2010 05:20 AM

So once i purchase an audio interface i will be able to transfer MIDI data from the MO6 into logic as a External MIDI track?

motif8mine - 20 July 2010 11:30 AM

No! That is something that you can already do.

KwinDot_Prod - 20 July 2010 05:20 AM

And then once i am happy with it i can convert the External MIDI tracks into audio for a final mix down before bouncing?

motif8mine - 20 July 2010 11:30 AM

To ‘convert’ to audio (actually MIDI connot be converted but that’s another discussion), you can:

1) Record the MIDI performances onto Audio tracks via the Audio Interface, mix and bounce…
2) Drag MIDI regions onto Software Instrument Tracks, mix and bounce offline…
3) Create External Instrument Tracks instead of External MIDI Tracks, port them to the MO and mix and bounce in realtime…

review also:

motif8mine - 12 June 2010 08:28 PM

Logic Track Types are:
1) Audio Tracks: self-explanatory- recorded regions are blue in color… (Can be bounced off-line)

2) Software Instrument Tracks: utilize Logic’s internal Virtual Instruments… (Can be bounced off-line)

3) External MIDI Tracks: ports MIDI to / from external devices (synths, tone generators, etc)- MIDI contains no Audio, it triggers a Synths Tone Generator which produces audio, as such it cannot be bounced… Audio must be routed back into Logic via Audio Interface… The output of that Audio Interface must be routed to Logic’s input bus and recorded onto Audio tracks before it can be bounced…
(As this track processes MIDI Only, the only effects available on the channel strip are MIDI-based...) Default color for recorded MIDI regions is green.

4) External Instruments Tracks: Really a software instrument track with the added bonus porting MIDI to external devices. The Audio Output of those devices is routed back to the External Instrument Track, (via Audio Interface or mLAN), where it can be recorded as Audio, bounced in realtime, (no offline bouncing), and can be processed by Logic effects, etc… Link To Post On External Instrument Track In Logic...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2010 @ 12:00 AM
KwinDot_Prod
Joined  07-18-2010

Ive tried these methods but it still doesnt seem to be working.
when i go to listen to the mp3 its just blank.
The only way i havent tried is bouncing with audio tracks.....
Mainly because I dont have a full understanding on this process.
Could you run me though it step by step?

Much thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2010 @ 11:58 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Please list your equipment and your connections. What Audio Interface are you using?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 11:52 PM
KwinDot_Prod
Joined  07-18-2010

Im using a Yamaha MO6 running into Logic Pro 8 via USB.
I do not own an interface as of yet.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 12:01 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ive tried these methods…

Not possible. ! Why?

I do not own an interface as of yet.

The only possible way for you to bounce right now is to drag your MIDI regions onto Software Instrument Tracks and assign instruments to them from Logic’s Library. The manual is pretty straight forward in how to do a bounce from that point…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2010 @ 10:28 AM
KwinDot_Prod
Joined  07-18-2010

So will i or will i not be able to use the sounds from my MO6 in the mix?
There is a major error with what im doing and its becoming very frustrating.
This is the process i have been through so far:

1) Recorded from my MO6 into logic via USB onto External MIDI tracks.

2) I then created a Software Instrument track from every External MIDI track that was present.

3) After this I went to I/O and selected External Instrument and selected Stereo.

4) I then changed the MIDI Destination to each different channel of my MO6 (According to what I had previously recorded).

5) Dragged the data from the External MIDI tracks each onto a separate Software Instrument channel.

6) I thought everything was sweet so I bounced the mix offline. But when I opened the mp3 file in itunes there was no sound.

What am I doing wrong???
Please help me.
This is extremely irritating.
What steps am I doing wrong, or not doing at all???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2010 @ 10:30 AM
KwinDot_Prod
Joined  07-18-2010

Sorry.
In step 6) I bounced the mix in Realtime.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2010 @ 02:12 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

KwinDot_Prod,
sorry for your frustration, I don’t know how to state it any simpler than I have. But note this: right now you are adding an extra and wasteful step.

Since you do not own an audio interface, you do not have to create an external instrument because the MO6 at present Does Not send / receive audio via USB. Create the software instrument tracks and assign instruments as you have and then you can bounce offline… The MO6 will not and cannot be in the bounce until you have an audio interface…

peace…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2010 @ 01:27 AM
benj_keys
Total Posts:  1
Joined  08-30-2009

Hi KwinDot,

Midi track is different from audio track
Midi track is a signal generating to trigger a midi device or a software
that when you play the midi track from logic its just triggering your mo6 or any device meaning the sound is coming from your device (mo6), if you want to bounce your project to mp3 wav etc. you need to record first the triggered sound from your mo6 to logic in a realtime audio recording using an audio interface. you need to plug your mo6 to the analog inputs of the audio interface, then add some audio track in the logic
Then record the analog signal from your mo6 in realtime. Now you can bounce it as mp3 or any audio format that your daw can produce.

try to search on youtube about midi so you’ll have a full understanding with the process.
hope it helps ;p

[ Ignore ]