mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Some questions regarding XS in Logic Pro 9"

Posted on: August 06, 2010 @ 08:11 PM
Vertical
Total Posts:  209
Joined  12-12-2009

Hi
I have a couple of questions.
My XS is connected to mac via MLAN

I’m still in process how to record XS sequencer to Logic.

- Are m1, m2, m3.. etc ports in XS Editor are related to track input channels 1,2,3 etc in Logic?
- How to make nice XS track icon in Logic, as it shown in “LOGIC 9, MLAN TUTORIAL”?
- My Logic doesn’t automatically switch on the destination “XS MLAN” in “Settings -> Synchronization -> MIDI” tab upon new startup. I need to tick it everytime manually. Why?
- My Logic doesn’t automatically load XS Sound library if I start new project. Tick “Load library” is checked, but it doesn’t work. How to make him do that?
- Why “TUTORIAL ENVIRONMENT” project opens every time when I start Logic? What is it for and how to disable this?
- In cubase there is nice VST pligin, So i can use Motif as VST. Can I do the same in Logic? It’s very useful while operating with knobs and sliders in realtime.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2010 @ 07:15 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Are m1, m2, m3.. etc ports in XS Editor are related to track input channels 1,2,3 etc in Logic?

Yes

How to make nice XS track icon in Logic, as it shown in “LOGIC 9, MLAN TUTORIAL”?

That a custom icon I created. You can download it From Here.... It’s on page #21...

- Why “TUTORIAL ENVIRONMENT” project opens every time when I start Logic? What is it for and how to disable this?

It is a template. Save another project and it will open instead.

- My Logic doesn’t automatically load XS Sound library if I start new project. Tick “Load library” is checked, but it doesn’t work. How to make him do that?

I am unfamilar with a “Load Library” setting. Where is that found? I am also unsure as to what you mean by load XS Sound library If you are talking about the custom bank messages to change XS voices, that is the purpose of the Tutorial Environment Template...

My Logic doesn’t automatically switch on the destination “XS MLAN” in “Settings -> Synchronization -> MIDI” tab upon new startup. I need to tick it everytime manually. Why?

Again, the purpose of the template. That’s why you start new projects using the template and then use “Save As” to save them under a different name. If somehow that setting is not turned on the the Tutorial Environment Template, change it and save it as your template...

In cubase there is nice VST pligin

Logic does not support VST’s

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 06:36 PM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009

Thanks, I appreciate
Forget about loading XS library that was just my misunderstanding))
Are the any tutorial explaining how to record audio from motif to Logic, explaining how to set audio outputs, separate channels, drum tracks, etc both on Logic and XS? There is tutorial available for Cubase, I’m just looking for the same for Logic

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 12:23 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

The “LOGIC 9, MLAN TUTORIAL” that you referenced above is my best shot at it… If there is a specific question, I might be able to clarify but, that tutorial deals with all of the things you have mentioned… Except for this: drums voices must be edited first. See the following post…

Bad_Mister - 16 July 2010 04:30 AM

Please see the SUPPORT article entitled:
Drum Track Construction Tools

Specifically the paragraph entitled:
• Routing Drums to individual Outputs

and the complete tutorial and “HOW TO”

Advanced Application: mLAN AUDIO SETUP
- this tutorial goes into depth with a provided file showing exactly how to route individual drums to the various mLAN outputs. There are three different EXPERIMENTS in this tutorial:
_ Experiment 1 = The simple STEREO OUT transfer
_ Experiment 2 = Routing PARTS to stereo and mono buses
_ Experiment 3 = (Advanced) Routing individual Drums to Outputs

If you get stuck post back here. Basically what you do is create a USER DRUM Kit with each drum assigned to the 14 assignable mLAN outputs, as you desire. Then you set that USER DRUM Kit in your MIXING setup and set the OUTPUT = “drum”

The individual KEY routing will be respected when you use that kit in the MIXING setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 02:57 PM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009

I’m new to Logic and it wasnt clear for me what is “Download the “Logic Motif XS Environment” .lso file from the link in this message” needed for. What does all this things are.. the marker list, the 1,2,3,. (Figure #8 in manual) there no explanation. Do I need to open it everytime?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 04:20 PM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009

Aha! I know what I was asking for:
When I add new external MIDI track in Logic. When I Select GM Device -> 1 (Grand Piano), but my Logic plays current sound from Motif (Which is in Voice mode). If I double click on MIDI track GM device window opens, where I’m able to select patches, and when I’m selecting voices in Motif changes, but the list of this voice in Logic isn’t for Motif..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 07:34 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

What does all this things are.. the marker list, the 1,2,3,. (Figure #8 in manual) there no explanation. Do I need to open it everytime?

I don’t have any reference in that tutorial for (the marker list, the 1,2,3,.), nor should there be any in that Logic Environment I posted. As for Fig. #8, it is explained in section 7] directly below it. As for Marker lists in general, the Logic Manual explains them…

Aha! I know what I was asking for:
When I add new external MIDI track in Logic. When I Select GM Device -> 1 (Grand Piano), but my Logic plays current sound from Motif (Which is in Voice mode). If I double click on MIDI track GM device window opens, where I’m able to select patches, and when I’m selecting voices in Motif changes, but the list of this voice in Logic isn’t for Motif..

I am not sure why you would want to be working in Voice Mode but, when the Library opens, you should select the XS’ Main MIDI Port and not GM. The GM port will transfer MIDI to the XS but, it will not allow you to select voice as you have discovered… I explain this is section 10] of the tutorial…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2010 @ 03:19 PM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009

Ok, finally today I had success with recording audio to separate channels into Logic! Wooohooo!
Thank so much for you help and tutorial.
Another question: why there is so strange connection beetwen channels: m1&2;from Motif goes to 3&4;Channel at Logic, m3&4;to 5&6;? Is it possible to fix this, because in this case i’m only able to record 7 audio channel at the same time instead of 8, because there are not enought free input stereo channels in Logic

It would be great if you write add to your tutorial information about that red record button “R” and “I” buttons must be on, so it will be possible to hear “With PC” monitoring. And also another is not clear: in tutorial at point 12] it is written that pairs 1&2;, 3&4;should be selected. Would be nice if you put near this text information from 14] It think it will be useful for newbies like me)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2010 @ 11:51 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

L,R can be used and are the equivalent of 1&2;within Logic. And, that is how the XS was created to function and how the outputs are named within the XS itself, as such there is no ‘fix’ for it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2010 @ 02:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If your computer is not identifying the PORTS by name - the attached graphic is how the mLAN/Firewire ports are assigned. There are 16 bus outputs, the first two are the stereo mix.
and the 14 assignables follow…

Image Attachments
Port names1.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2010 @ 09:38 AM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009

Thanks

[ Ignore ]