mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problem with Mlan16e and Logic 8"

Posted on: July 16, 2010 @ 09:02 AM
Lawman
Total Posts:  11
Joined  11-11-2005

Hi, I have an annoying problem with my Mlan16e.

I have a Dual 2 GHz G5 with 3GB SDRAM and Logic Pro 8. I’m using my Yamaha ES 8 with the Mlan16e interface. I also have a PC on XP and Cubase SX3.
In Logic I can’t record audio from my motif / mlan but I can hear sounds from the mac and Logic fine and the midi all works fine including selecting sounds from the motif as an external midi instrument. I just can’t get the sound to record and can’t see anything I’ve set up wrong. Audio and midi set up for mlan in the core audio and I’ve applied graphic patchbay settings. It’s also selected within Logic audio preferences.
I find that on the PC I can record audio by re-connecting mlan and graphic patchbay and creating a new project. So far I cannot find a solution on the mac. So I’m recording any sounds I need from the ES onto the PC with cubase with Mlan and importing it into Logic to incorporate with the software instruments as the midi aspect works fine.
I bought a new firewire cable but am worried I may have damaged the firewire port on the mlan16e by plugging it in the wrong way round 1 time – it did not need any extra pressure to do so, just a moment of carelessness. Never had a problem with it before. Has anyone had a similar problem or could suggest something for the mac?
Thanks
Lawman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2010 @ 09:55 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Please detail wht you are doing to record audio: (from start to finish)- so I can troubleshoot…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2010 @ 08:22 PM
Lawman
Joined  11-11-2005

Sorry for the long delay and thanks for replying. I’m recording audio into Cubase from the Mlan 16e in the Motif ES. I switch on Mlan manager on my PC and open graphic patchbay making sure of all the connections and that word clock is set to pc. I create a new project in Cubase and select sound in as mlan15 and 16 in VST conncetions. I go into Song mode on the motif and play back what want to record. It works. But if I open a previous project in cubase the connection is lost and no sound comes in from mlan15 and 16. I have to exit Cubase and mlan, reconnect and create a new project for the sound in to be restored.

On the mac I’ve set up graphic patchbay in the same way, I apply the settings, mlan is selected in core audio, I create a new project, select 15 and 16 for the input and there is no sound coming in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2010 @ 09:17 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, what OS are you running? And, what driver or version of mLAN Tools are you using with mLAN16e? Is the audio from Itunes, etc… playing through the ES?

I create a new project, select 15 and 16 for the input

You are selecting this within Logic, right? What is the Output selection within th patchbay, L/R?

Also, a couple of other things to check: how is your Local switch set, Off or On? If it is set to off, (as is normal for working with Logic), you will not hear the ES until you create External MIDI Tracks and port them to the ES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2010 @ 09:13 AM
Lawman
Joined  11-11-2005

It’s OSX Version 10.4.11 and mLAN Tools V1.2.0 for Mac OS.
The audio for itunes plays fine through the ES.
I’m selecting input 15 and 16 in new audio track within Logic. I have all 16 output channels on Mlan connected and applied to the 16 inputs on the mac within graphic patchbay. Is there something else I’m missing in patchbay?
The local switch is on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2010 @ 12:31 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Hmmm… unfortantely (or, thankfully), I’ve never had to use mlAN Tools, the Patchbay, etc… But it’s time to troubleshoot. If the MAC’s System Audio is present in the ES, we need to find what setting or settings that are causing problems in Logic.

You mentioned that you are importing Audio Tracks into Logic from Cubase. Those are playing through the ES as well?

1) Does your Sample Rate for the mLAN 16e match the sample rate you’ve chosen in the Logic project?

2) Have you double-checked you input / output bus connections? Inputs 1-16 in Logic = Outputs 1-14, L/R in the mLAN16e.

3) What is your mLAN Monitor setting within the Motif ES? And, depending on how that works in the ES, Audio may not be ‘present’ in Logic until the Audio Track is record enabled…

Finally, I don’t know whether This Post will help or not. He references a “A Motif ES, an MLAN16E, Emagic Logic Software and You” Guide that also may be helpful. But, keep in mind that you have a newer version of Logic and the work he recommends in the Environment of Logic is no longer necessary as Logic 8 automatically does this for you…

motif8mine - 12 September 2009 11:45 PM

This LOGIC PRO 8, MLAN TUTORIAL was created specifically for the XS8 and the AI Driver. That said, it will walk you through the essentials of how to record audio into Logic 8.

What is necessary is that you understand the following: I give specific instructions of the settings to make in the XS, you will need to find their ES equivalent. The pictures, etc… that refer to the AI Driver, Port Names, Number of Ports, Driver Names, etc… will all appear different if you are using another driver.

Also, the mLAN outputs may very well have different names in the mLAN16E Interface…

Keep me posted…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2010 @ 12:55 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry for the long delay and thanks for replying. I’m recording audio into Cubase from the Mlan 16e in the Motif ES. I switch on Mlan manager on my PC and open graphic patchbay making sure of all the connections and that word clock is set to pc. I create a new project in Cubase and select sound in as mlan15 and 16 in VST conncetions. I go into Song mode on the motif and play back what want to record. It works. But if I open a previous project in cubase the connection is lost and no sound comes in from mlan15 and 16. I have to exit Cubase and mlan, reconnect and create a new project for the sound in to be restored.

On the mac I’ve set up graphic patchbay in the same way, I apply the settings, mlan is selected in core audio, I create a new project, select 15 and 16 for the input and there is no sound coming in.

Since the problem seems to happen on older Projects that you are opening you have check whether or not the older projects have a different setup in VST CONNECTIONS… INPUTS and OUTPUTS - the other project maybe addressing other ports by default. mLAN15/16 are L/R Output for the mLAN16E2

Make sure that the other Projects are not addressing mLAN1/mLAN2 by default.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2010 @ 08:33 AM
Lawman
Joined  11-11-2005

Many thanks for these suggestions.
Yes the audio tracks recorded in cubase with the mlan will play fine in logic through the es.
1. The sample rates are set at 44100 in the project and mlan set up. 
2. I’ve found that when assigning individual or pairs or tracks from song mode out of the mlan on the es and selcting the corresponding tracks input when creating a new logic audio track – say 1-2 on es to 1-2 in logic that sound is coming out of the motif as dry mono and I can record it. But the left and right stereo output when selected on the es and then a 15-16 input produces no sound coming into logic to record
3. The mLAN monitor switch is off. The tracks do have to be record enabled.
4. Thanks for these links, they were well worth going through again. 

I’ve tried selecting ‘do nothing’ for logic starting preferences and restarted mlan connector and patchbay so I can create a new project and no other ports are being addressed by default. It doesn’t work but the left and right will now record fine into cubase on the pc seemingly whichever project I open.

Ps Thanks for your input Badmister, that may well have been the case with the other projects, I’m finding now that opening other projects mlan will work fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2010 @ 11:41 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

From my reading of the ES manual, I would think that the mLAN MonitorSw should be set to ‘ON’…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2010 @ 02:44 PM
Lawman
Joined  11-11-2005

You’re right thanks, but the problem still remains.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2010 @ 02:50 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I can’t think of any setting within Logic that would prevent the inputs 15 & 16 from working… If you are able to record 16 channels within your other DAW, it would indicate that it is not the firewire cable itself.

What happens if your experiment with changing the OutputSel parameter as per page 153 of the manual?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2010 @ 08:39 PM
Lawman
Joined  11-11-2005

It just get no sound out for L&R;. I’ll try uninstalling the driver and manually deleting the folders and files as mentioned in the mlan guide and then reinstall it. I’m not that familiar with macs so maybe something went wrong last time I tried to reinstall it. Will report back, thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2010 @ 02:14 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

This does not sound like a driver issue to me. It sounds like a physical issue- i.e., the firewire cable or the port itself. I would try another forewire cable and if that doesn’t resolve it, visit the nearest Apple Store for a test…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Simple Logic 9/MO8 Step by Step
Next Topic:

Motif instruments as Midi data in Logic 8 pro ››