mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do i convert external instrument(Motif XS) midi tracks into audio? Logic 9"

Posted on: June 12, 2010 @ 07:57 PM
vm113
Total Posts:  15
Joined  01-01-2010

Why dont i have the option to convert my external midi tracks into audio? Is is done a different way? And why dont i have the logic effects options on the channel strip?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2010 @ 08:28 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Logic Track Types are:
1) Audio Tracks: self-explanatory- recorded regions are blue in color… (Can be bounced off-line)

2) Software Instrument Tracks: utilize Logic’s internal Virtual Instruments… (Can be bounced off-line)

3) External MIDI Tracks: ports MIDI to / from external devices (synths, tone generators, etc)- MIDI contains no Audio, it triggers a Synths Tone Generator which produces audio, as such it cannot be bounced… Audio must be routed back into Logic via Audio Interface… The output of that Audio Interface must be routed to Logic’s input bus and recorded onto Audio tracks before it can be bounced…
(As this track processes MIDI Only, the only effects available on the channel strip are MIDI-based...) Default color for recorded MIDI regions is green.

4) External Instruments Tracks: Really a software instrument track with the added bonus porting MIDI to external devices. The Audio Output of those devices is routed back to the External Instrument Track, (via Audio Interface or mLAN), where it can be recorded as Audio, bounced in realtime, (no offline bouncing), and can be processed by Logic effects, etc… Link To Post On External Instrument Track In Logic...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2010 @ 04:38 AM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

How would i go about doing that? Ive been recording what i play in logic, using song mode just to pull up voices. I now have my recordings in logic, so what do i do now? Does this mean i cant record using midi? How am i suppose to save and use what i record? Jeez this is too complicated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2010 @ 07:17 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

How would i go about doing that?

??? I need you to be more specific with your question. It’s not really complicated once you clearly understand the types of tracks in Logic and what the function and capability of each.

I now have my recordings in logic, so what do i do now?

MIDI or Audio?

Does this mean i cant record using midi?

Of course not, I think that you’ve been doing that right?

How am i suppose to save and use what i record?

I tried to answer this above but it depends on what kind of tracks you are working with. Since you are working with MIDI tracks, (and, I’ll assume- External MIDI Tracks), you must either record them as audio before bouncing or create External Instrument Tracks that correspond to each External MIDI Track, pull the MIDI regions to the proper External MIDI Tracks and then bounce in real-time…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2010 @ 07:26 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Also, what is your setup? Which XS? What audio interface? etc…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2010 @ 02:54 AM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

My setup is a MotifXS6 with the MLan card as my interface. Im using logic 9. All my software is up to date. My recording are in logic, in midi form. I am using external midi tracks. How do i got about bouncing them to audio so i can finish editing and copy to a cd? Im not seeing an option for external instrument tracks anywhere. What do i need to do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2010 @ 03:37 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

vm113,
in my post above, I gave a link that covers how to create an External Instrument Track. Read my third post in that thread. It covers External Instrument Tracks from A to Z, (well, actually from 1 to 3. :)

After creating the External Instrument Tracks, drag your MIDI tracks onto them and then press ⌘ + B to open the Bounce window. Choose your destination: MP3, etc… Make sure to choose ‘Realtime’ as the ‘Mode’. Select your other preferences and the tracks will bounce…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2010 @ 02:01 AM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

Ok i get it now. I feel a sense of relief lol. Sorry im a slow learner. Now maybe you can help me with something else. I have a lot of recordings in song mode in the xs. The ones i like i try to record into logic so i can continue the project. Is there an easier way to get my songs into logic track by track? I know im doing it the hard way. Im basically recording the tracks one by one into logic by unchecking the IntExt of the channels in the xs. By doing that the tracks are off and the song sounds out of order. Not to mention the tracks are already off a beat because i basically freestyle songs on the motif so i rely on logic to edit and eq and so on and trying to edit and finish the song takes me forever because im sure im doing that the hard way also. What do you think?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2010 @ 10:52 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Export the songs from the XS as SMF files and import or open them in Logic

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Logic 9 - How do i load the Motif XS Rack (FIREWIRE) ?
Next Topic:

m08 logic trouble ››