mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Logic 9 - How do i load the Motif XS Rack (FIREWIRE) ?"

Posted on: May 30, 2010 @ 12:42 PM
djquintin
Total Posts:  7
Joined  05-30-2010

Hi there :)

I recently started using Logic 9. (Before i used Cubase 5 on PC.)

Everything is installed properly but i have no idea how i can load the motif xs in my project.

I know how to load a hardware such as my Nordlead 3, (with external instr and midi channel) but i have no idea how to get the Motif Xs Rack to work.

< I have connected the XS with FIREWIRE >

Can anyone please tell me the steps i have to do, to get it working?

Much appreciated!!

Quintin from the Netherlands.
http://www.djquintin.com

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2010 @ 09:21 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Hey djquintin,
welcome to the forum. Help me out: what do you mean by load? Just want to be one the same page. And, what setup have you done already? Finally, we’re talking about mLAN , right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2010 @ 08:47 PM
djquintin
Joined  05-30-2010

Hey there :)

With loading i mean uhm… just getting it into logic and work.
I can not find the motif anywhere at the instrument button, where for example my virus TI is when i want to insert/load it.

So i have the MLAN connection, have installed the studio manager and mlan. But the question is: where and how do i get to see my studio manager in Logic 9 so i can use it and play midi notes.

thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2010 @ 11:22 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, first things, first. You will not get Studio Manager functioning within Logic. That is, without some serious software updates to Studio mananger. It will run as a stand alone working alongside Logic. So anyway, a quick ⌘ + TAB switches between the two…

And, I’m sorry but one last question or two :)

Are you using the Yamaha Steinberg-Firewire Driver? And, what are all the connections to and from the Rack?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 06:42 AM
djquintin
Joined  05-30-2010

In Cubase 5 it was working as a plugin. I could load it as a vst, atleast easy load it into the project without having to use extrnal instrument or so on (what i have to do with my nordlead).
So guess this should be possible in Logic 9 right?

And even if this is not possible, it should be possible by loading it as an external instrument somehow?

I am using yamaha steinberg-FW. The connection is only firewire -and power cable, thats all :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 10:15 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, first things, first. You will not get Studio Manager functioning within Logic. That is, without some serious software updates to Studio mananger. It will run as a stand alone working alongside Logic.

Let me give the simple answer first. The Motif will only work as a VST within Cubase. Cubase, Yamaha equals same company. And, Logic does not accept VST’s. You can create an External Instrument within Logic that brings the Rack’s MIDI and Audio into a track. Review This Post!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 10:34 AM
djquintin
Joined  05-30-2010

Thanks,

I know how to setup ext instr. but when i do so, i do not see any midi destination (only midi graphics).
I a m working with a usb connected axiom pro 49 midi controller keyboard.
Although it is working with my plugins, i do not see it as a midi controller in the ext instr. window.

The input are there, 1-2. But these are audio input from my apogee duet right?
The Motif XS Rack is Mlan connected so there are no audio jacks connected. So how do i set it up?

Lots of questions, wish i was a wizzkid but i am just a creative dj/producer ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 11:29 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, I was trying to avoid a long answer if it wasn’t necessary but, let’s start at the beginning.

Rack XS Settings:

Go to UTILITY > General > page 2/5 set IEEE1394 Driver = FW, Press [STORE] and then reboot. (This change will not take affect unless you both STORE and REBOOT).
Go to UTILITY > MIDI > page 1/6 set MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN 
Press [STORE]
Set the Quick Setup Parameter per page 100 & 101 of the Rack XS manual…
Set the mLAN Monitor per page 98 of the manual…

Logic Settings:

1} Properly installed, the YSFW driver will appear in the System Preferences>Other and in Audio MIDI Setup. The YSFW mLAN driver typically will not appear in Audio MIDI Setup (’AMS’) until the Rack XS is connected via firewire the first time. Also, it will be grayed-out unless the Rack XS is physically connected to the MAC via the firewire connection (with the Rack XS set to operate via mLAN).

2} ‘AMS’ recognizes all properly installed Audio / MIDI (USB or mLAN) drivers but, not any keyboard or controller connected via the driver. That is, it will not cause Logic to ‘see’ and properly name the Rack XS’ MIDI Ports within Logic. It must be manually setup in ‘AMS’.

From the ‘Finder’, hold down both ⌘ + ⇧ + ‘U’. to open ‘AMS’. Choose the MIDI Studio. Select ‘Add Device’. A ‘new external device’ appears. Double-click it and type ‘Rack XS’ as the Device Name. Type Yamaha as the manufacturer, if you choose. Apply the changes and close…

NOTE: As you will see later, what you name this device is important, particularly when creating new External MIDI Tracks, because Logic looks past your actual mLAN Driver to this device connected to it and uses its name to represent your mLAN Port #1.

3} Move the Rack XS Device directly under the YSFW mLAN Driver Device in ‘AMS’. There should be four sets of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports. Place your cursor at the left down-facing triangle (“out port”) and drag to the left triangle of the Motif XS Device (“in port”) F. It draws a cable. Close ‘AMS’…

NOTE: The Rack XS and YSFW Driver use ‘YSFW Main’ (Port #1) to send MIDI to the DAW (Logic Pro 9) and from the DAW (MIDI tracks) to the Rack’s tone generator… ‘YSFW MIDI OUT’ is used as a MIDI thru channel. It is used to utilize an external synth physically connected to the Rack XS’ MIDI Out.

4} When the YSFW is properly installed and the Rack XS (set to operate via mLAN) is connected to the MAC , OS-X auto-configures the driver to work with Logic 9; the YSFW automatically appears as an option when physically connected to the MAC. Since Logic 9 allows you to select separate Input and Output Device, select YSFW for at least the input option… Aggregate devices are not necessarily advisable…

Follow the instructions then regarding the External Instrument… Check back…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 05:04 PM
djquintin
Joined  05-30-2010

Hi,

I already read this on a forum and did all of it.

At 3) the instructions tells you to connect a YSFW Driver to the Rack XS. This is not the name is see in AMS. I only see the Motif XS rack, so i assume it is the one? (see screenshot)

Also in the screenshot you see there is not a Rack XS option in the ext. instr. as there should be. There is only a midi graphics options.
So what is it i do wrong?
Thanks again:)

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 10.01.02 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 05:17 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

At 3) the instructions tells you to connect a YSFW Driver to the Rack XS. This is not the name is see in AMS. I only see the Motif XS rack, so i assume it is the one? (see screenshot)

Yes, I’ve never seen the Rack Driver so it is apparently named differently…

Try this, first open an External MIDI Track and port it to the Rack XS from Logic’s Library… That will trigger Logic to create a Rack XS Device in it’s environment. Then create your External Instrument and check back…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 05:56 PM
djquintin
Joined  05-30-2010

Nice we are getting there.

So i created a midi track and an ext. inst. track.
Should i hear music playing when i press the audition button?

Triggering midi notes doesn’t make any sound.

I started the studio manager, switched it to ‘’online’’ and it is activated

The only thing is, i do not see the banks when i double click the ext. instr.
(screenshot)

Q

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 10.57.58 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-06-02 at 10.57.48 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 06:12 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

What have you selected as your Input and Output Device in Preferences> Audio? Also, in order to ‘see’ the voice names within Logic, work in the environment is required. As mentioned above, I find it simpler to change them from the Studio Manager / Editor, but, if you know whether the Preset Banks and User Banks are essentially the same as the Motif XS, I can modify mine and send it to you… Or, you can downlod the one I set up for the mLAN, Logic 9 Tutorial I did for this forum and modify it yourself, if needed… You would simply open it as a regular song file and save it as a template when finished…

Also Note: in case you’re not that familiar with it, Here Is A Post On mLAN Routing For The Rack XS. In particular, check out Bad_Mister’s first post…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 07:17 PM
djquintin
Joined  05-30-2010

YESSS!!!!!!

It is working! :D

I didn’t have the input audio (preferences logic) set to the FW Steinberg, because i assumed it should also be the Apogee Duet.

Midi, sound, studiomanager, i am ready to go.
Finally after hours on the web searching for the answer and sending emails to yamaha. Why didn’t i look at the Forum before.

Thanks a lot for all the help. And hope other people with the same problem will find your help as useful as i did.;)

Best regards and lots of thanks,

Quintin
http://www.djquintin.com

Image Attachments
Thank-you.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2010 @ 07:40 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Thanks, glad you got it going!

Peace…