mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Switching from Pro Tools"

Posted on: May 20, 2010 @ 09:52 PM
alanb
Total Posts:  301
Joined  02-15-2009

I have come to the conclusion that I am just not smart enough to get my Motif to work with Pro Tools.

If I switch to Logic can I:

Take a pre-recorded song in my Motif (up to 16 tracks)...and IN ONE PASS...record into Logic all of the song tracks....each track of the song getting its own track in Logic?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2010 @ 10:22 PM
milari
Total Posts:  179
Joined  01-25-2009

I am starting to agree with your conclusion. I am tired of micro managing PT I just want to turn on the computer and record. The problem is that I don’t know which DAW to switch to. I have gripes with all of them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2010 @ 10:44 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

I have come to the conclusion that I am just not smart enough to get my Motif to work with Pro Tools.

Sorry for your frustration. Once you know how to, it’s not really that difficult to get things working in PT. The MIDI editing is not real straight forward to me but, that’s just a personal issue...

Take a pre-recorded song in my Motif (up to 16 tracks)...and IN ONE PASS...record into Logic all of the song tracks....each track of the song getting its own track in Logic?

It really is much faster to save the song on the XS as a MIDI file (smf), and import it into a Logic song… But, the answer to your question is yes…

FInally, exactly what problems are you having in PT and which version is it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2010 @ 10:28 AM
alanb
Total Posts:  301
Joined  02-15-2009

I am sure that my problem is that I have a limited knowledge of midi.

I am a player....not a technician.

I want to construct a song on the Motif....transfer the entire tune into the DAW...in one pass.

Then I can go back into the DAW...edit as needed.

I am in Dallas, TX I would be more than happy to pay someone to have a one on one in person session to get me up to speed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2010 @ 11:50 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Dues… everyone has to pay them. And they are the cost of learning MIDI, the Motif and DAW’s. The principles underlining each are similar but, each has it’s own learning curve. Switching DAW’s will simply add another learning curve. There are Pro Tools DVD’s to get you started. There are also any number of Pro Tools vids on YouTube… Also, the place store you purchased from should be a resource for you as well…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2010 @ 10:38 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008
alanb - 20 May 2010 09:52 PM

Unless I’ve missed something, I would respectfully disagree with my friend Motif8mine on his above answer. Using mLAN you can record up to 14 individual tracks, each to their own Logic track, in one pass, but only if they are all mono. If you have 16 individual stereo tracks, then you will need 2 passes using mLAN, but it’s a small price to pay for the pristine sound quality you get from it.

If you are using the analogue outputs, then no DAW will allow you to record more than 4 tracks at once, as this is the maximum number of tracks/parts that the XS will send to analogue outputs where each part has its own output.

If using the analogue outputs, there are also some considerations to bear in mind regarding the effects and how they are used. Whatever you do you should avoid recording master FX/System FX when exporting tracks to individual outputs. mLAN does this automatically, but if you use the main L/R outputs then you should probably disable the master/system FX and add them internally in the DAW.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2010 @ 05:56 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Of course, DAW’s record two ‘mediums’: audio and MIDI. And in the absence of clarity as to which is being discussed, one either has to inquire for clarification, (which is my pattern) or, draw an inference. Probably due to other issues I was dealing with at the time, I read MIDI into the question and you read Audio.  :)

In fact, there are a number of questions I really should have asked in restrospect because, if someone already has mLAN, and a MAC: Logic to me is a no brainer… That was my ‘logic’ in switching from Pro Tools. Or, at least making it my subordinate DAW… Also d.f., I am recording 16 mono channels: not quite sure why you said ‘up to 14’…

I would add that if someone has a significant amount invested in an Audio Interface and is fairly new to computer-based recording, it may make sense for them to cut their teeth on their existing setup for a while. Particularly, if finances are an issue and there will not be a monetary return on the investment…

Peace…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ logic midi confusion
Next Topic:

Device Patch Problems with motif es 6 ››