mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Connecting the Motif XS to Logic Pro 8"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 30, 2010 @ 04:38 PM
wtbusiness
Total Posts:  86
Joined  12-09-2007

I am currently using Logic Pro 8 with the Motif XS.  I have Mlan installed into my Motif.  I have the FW driver installed on my computer and to the Mlan driver.  The computer is recognizing the FW driver in my keyboard. 

I want to know how am I supposes to record into Logic and be able to edit my instruments in Logic.  Is this possible?  So far the only way I have been able to edit notes from my Motif XS is to create an external instrument.  The only problem is that the data will not bounce to a track.  I have to record audio in order to bounce the sound to a track.  Can someone please let me know if you know how to set this up? I am close to figuring it out.  Also let me know if you don’t understand my question.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2010 @ 05:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Your question is really about working with Logic… we have moved it to the Logic forum here on Motifator where you can find some Logic specific help from users of the XS and Logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2010 @ 06:42 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Hey wtb,
There are a couple of things I need to be clear on

I want to know how am I supposes to record into Logic and be able to edit my instruments in Logic.

What do you mean by ‘edit my instruments’?

So far the only way I have been able to edit notes from my Motif XS is to create an external instrument.

Are you referring to MIDI here?

The only problem is that the data will not bounce to a track.

The audio coming from the XS should indeed bounce to track via live bounce, i.e., real-time. You are correct in that the only way to bounce XS Audio via ‘off-line bounce’ is to record it onto Audio Tracks. So, in conclusion: 1) You should be able to bounce real-time. If this is a problem, let me know. 2) For ‘Off-Line Bounce’ you MUST record the XS output onto Audio Tracks…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2010 @ 08:01 PM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

Hey wtb,

There are a couple of things I need to be clear on

I want to know how am I supposes to record into Logic and be able to edit my instruments in Logic.

What do you mean by ‘edit my instruments’?

I can record midi data into logic when I make an external instrument
I want to be able to edit that data and bounce a track directly from logic.  I just got done talking to a yamaha person.  He told me that I have to reroute the audio back to the keyboard.  I don’t know what he is talking about.

The logic person told me to record my audio directly into the keyboard.  If I do that then I can not edit it.

So far the only way I have been able to edit notes from my Motif XS is to create an external instrument.

Are you referring to MIDI here?

yes, so far I have been able to get midi.  I know that Logic recognizes my FW driver.  Now I want to be able to use my keyboard to record into logic.  I want to be able to edit the notes on logic and then bounce a track.

The only problem is that the data will not bounce to a track.

The audio coming from the XS should indeed bounce to track via live bounce, i.e., real-time. You are correct in that the only way to bounce XS Audio via ‘off-line bounce’ is to record it onto Audio Tracks. So, in conclusion: 1) You should be able to bounce real-time. If this is a problem, let me know. 2) For ‘Off-Line Bounce’ you MUST record the XS output onto Audio Tracks…

This seems like the problem that I am having.  How can I quantize notes on logic coming from the motif?  Is this possible?  I have an Mlan installed in my motif.  What is the point of it if I can only record audio into Logic?  Is there a better way of doing this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2010 @ 11:15 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I can record midi data into logic when I make an external instrument I want to be able to edit that data and bounce a track directly from logic.

Ok, this is where I am getting lost. If you can record MIDI, why can’t you edit it? And, are you talking about a bounce to mp3 or wave file? Or, are you talking about something else?

Of course it’s possible to quantize both MIDI and Audio within Logic. I’ll only deal with MIDI! :) I’m using Logic 9 so my pics will appear a little different than yours. From the Manual:

Understanding Region- and Event-based Quantization
Region-based quantization is a process that affects all transient markers in an audio region or all note events in a MIDI region. You have the choice of quantizing audio or MIDI regions, or a mixed selection of audio and MIDI regions.

Note: Region-based quantization does not work on other MIDI data event types, such as MIDI controllers.

Event-based quantization is the quantization of individual MIDI events (not only note events) within a MIDI region. This is performed in the MIDI editors.

Important: Event-based quantization destructively alters the position of all MIDI event types, except note events.

You can quantize from three places.

1) From the Inspector Window: This is a Track and Region based quantize. It quantizes everything within the region. Everything! But, it’s more versatile than the other method. I’m hoping that will change soon… See Pic #1…
2) From either the Piano Roll Editor or Event List. This is an event based quantize… see Pic #2

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-04-30 at 9.59.13 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-04-30 at 10.05.14 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2010 @ 12:21 PM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

I noticed on you pic with the instruments on it that you have the motif pic on an instrument. How did you get that to show up on your instrument?  Is that an external instrument?

When I create an external instrument, I can get midi to go into the computer and I can edit it.  the problem is when I try to bounce the song down to a track.  I get no sound from the motif.  Why is Logic 8 and 9 so different.  I think there is a glitch in 8.  They created 9 a couple of months after they made 8.

I have them both synced but I don’t know how to use them together.  Should i be using the Motif as a remote?  Should I set up MTC?
What steps do I need to take to do the same thing that you do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2010 @ 12:53 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

When I create an external instrument, I can get midi to go into the computer and I can edit it.  the problem is when I try to bounce the song down to a track.  I get no sound from the motif.

OK, I need to verify something when I get to my keyboard today but, are you saying that when you do a live or real-time bounce that your XS is not present in the bounce?

Why is Logic 8 and 9 so different.  I think there is a glitch in 8.  They created 9 a couple of months after they made 8.

Actually, it was a couple of years… :) Also, they really do function similarly…

I noticed on you pic with the instruments on it that you have the motif pic on an instrument. How did you get that to show up on your instrument?

That is an External MIDI Track. And we need to be real clear on this, because it is different from and External Instrument Track. So, I’m not sure which one you are using. But, I added the pic for cosmetic purposes. It also is displayed when I create External Instruments as you will see in the pics in the link below…

For clarity, an External MIDI Track is created by choosing ‘External MIDI’ when creating a track. An External Instrument is created by choosing ‘Software Instrument’ when creating a track. Please see my 3rd post in This Thread.

I have them both synced but I don’t know how to use them together.  Should i be using the Motif as a remote?  Should I set up MTC?
What steps do I need to take to do the same thing that you do?

As mentioned above, I’ll get back to you when I get to my studio…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2010 @ 04:14 PM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

I have provided a video that will help us to communicate. You can see what I am talking about.  I can record midi.  I get sounds.  When I try to bounce Motif sounds, Logic won’t let me.  What am I doing wrong?  What do I need to set up?  What is the best way to use Logic and the Motif XS?

I have an Mlan card installed.  Its connected to my Presonus Firebox.  My FireBox is connected to my computer.  They are working fine.  My computer recognizes the FW driver installed in my Motif XS. 

Watch this video and you can see what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWRM_Aosn4

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2010 @ 07:07 PM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

What are these guys doing in this video? It seems so easy.  Can I do this with Logic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5lgCuThhI

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2010 @ 09:54 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

wtb, double poting really isn’t going to get this resolved faster. As you can see from my last post, we first need to make sure that we are talking about the same thing. You mentioned your were creating an External Instrument. You were not! You were creating External MIDI Tracks. That’s one main reason why things are not working for you…

Also, did you not read my last post and the link? Setting up the External Instrument should have clarified and resolved things for you. But, let me also say that, having seen your video, there are a number of setting that are incorrect in Logic and some that need to be verified on the XS.

Have you followed the Logic 8 Tutorial? I will attempt to update it shortly but, the only thing that has really changed is this. Since the AI Driver and the mLAN Driver are both obsolete, you want substitute Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver anywhere I mention the mLAN Driver…

So, you would name your AMS Device “YSFW’ so that it’s easy to recognize. And, when setting the Core Audio Device within Logic’s Preferences, you do want to set it to the Yamaha Steinberg FireWire Driver as in your video.

You do not want to set your MIDI Sync preferences to ‘ALL’ that may cause you problems. Set it for the first XS Port only. It should have the same name as the device you created in AMS.

Also, you do not show that you have set the mLAN Monitor Settings in the XS to either w/PC or w/PC DirectMonitor and stored the setting. That is critical to proper monitoring of the mLAN signal. You would use the w/PC setting if you want to add Logic Effects to your XS signal. If you choose it, you would also have to turn on software monitoring in your Core Audio Preferences within Logic…

Issue should be solved…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2010 @ 10:57 AM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

You mentioned your were creating an External Instrument. You were not! You were creating External MIDI Tracks. That’s one main reason why things are not working for you…

So when I use my Motif what kind of track should I be creating?  Is it going to come up as a software instrument or should I create an audio track?

Also, did you not read my last post and the link? Setting up the External Instrument should have clarified and resolved things for you. But, let me also say that, having seen your video, there are a number of setting that are incorrect in Logic and some that need to be verified on the XS.

I will go back and read it through.  I will change some setting in Logic also.  So midi sync preferences should be set to first XS port.

What do you mean by naming the AMS device?  I dont know what the acronym stands for.  In the video, Logic recognizes my driver as Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver.  This is correct right? 

You do not want to set your MIDI Sync preferences to ‘ALL’ that may cause you problems. Set it for the first XS Port only. It should have the same name as the device you created in AMS.

I will go back and change this. Again what is this AMS?

Also, you do not show that you have set the mLAN Monitor Settings in the XS to either w/PC or w/PC DirectMonitor and stored the setting. That is critical to proper monitoring of the mLAN signal. You would use the w/PC setting if you want to add Logic Effects to your XS signal. If you choose it, you would also have to turn on software monitoring in your Core Audio Preferences within Logic…

Ok.  I was experimenting with this yesterday, but I didn’t know what it did.  I will change that and my settings in Core Audio Preferences on Logic.

I appreciate you help.  I am close to getting it solved.  I just dont understand what it should be doing.  When I record from the Motif should it look like Midi Notes or straight audio?

Issue should be solved…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2010 @ 12:57 PM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

Here is my progress.  I am close but no cigar.

I probably got to set up one more thing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16jZWz7YidA

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2010 @ 08:38 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

After creating the External Instrument as you did in your video, the first that you set is the MIDI Destination. That chooses the MIDI Port. Then you set the Input Bus. In the video you set it as Mono, which is fine, if that is your intention. Typically, the only things I record in Mono are Electric Bass and Bass Drum. But, to each his own…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2010 @ 11:54 PM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

The only thing that is coming up is “Midi Graphics: Input Notes” I set the outputs to 1-2.  In the tutorial you can pick the keyboard. That is not coming up on mine.  What do I need to do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2010 @ 08:30 AM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

Im making progress.  This video helped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peqs94lDYhs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2010 @ 10:09 AM
wtbusiness
Joined  12-09-2007

I still have a question about the link you provided in your thread on step 5.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3330

I set up a mlan port in the environment.  On your thread they can select the instrument and the different sounds come up.  I don’t get this on mine, but I can select the instrument that I named.  I must have to set something else up.  Do I really need this?  I did make a lot of progress though.  Check the new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3zagMbydj8

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2