mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "drum patterns from Mo to Logic"

Posted on: April 16, 2010 @ 02:12 PM
Darren_H
Total Posts:  28
Joined  04-14-2009

Hi guys!
Just wanted to get a bit of advice regarding audio and midi. I know that the only way to get the MO sounds into Logic is through audio recording but this could be a bit restrictive if you wanted to edit the particular recording.

I like some of the drum patterns in the MO and would like to record them into Logic but would also like to vary some of these phrases in different sections of the song. I know there is a remix function on the MO but I would imagine being able to see the midi commands in Logic would be easier to arrange different drum sounds around in the sequence, although obviously you cannot do this to an audio track.

Can anyone give me advice on this matter, or indeed any tips and tricks for getting the rhythm section up and running as this is my biggest headache for actually getting my songs completed. Are the apple loops any good for this or what about Ultrabeat and other logic functions?

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2010 @ 04:54 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Patterns or arps? They are not the same thing… I’ll have to get to my keyboard to verify things on patterns, I don’t use that mode at all. However, I posted the following a while ago regarding Arps. Although it deals specifically with the XS, you can find the equivalent MO settings where necessary...

motif8mine - 18 April 2009 02:36 PM

OK, all the work I do in Logic is from Song Mode so I haven’t tested any other way. There may be a simpler way but, here goes…

FIRST WAY

1) In Logic select from the Toolbar>Settings>Metronome and change MIDI Port to Off.

2) Select the MIDI Tab ( Toolbar>Settings>MIDI) and in MIDI Thru, change the ‘Instrument Without MIDI Thru’ to ‘Input Notes’- Reverse these settings when finished...

3) Create a software instrument track to record onto (this prevents a MIDI loop). Leave it blank. And, arm it to record…

4) On the XS, from Song Mode, Press [SEQ SETUP]; Press [F3] QUICK Select Template #4: ‘Recording Arpeggio to Computer’. Press enter to set it and exit.

5) Press Record, then F2 (Arpeggio). Set switch and hold to on. If you dont select hold, you’ll have to keep the key depressed. Select your arps and turn the Master Arpeggio Button On/Off to ‘On’…

6) Press ‘R’ to start recording in Logic and press any key on the XS (in sync with the click track) to start the arp on the XS. [F2] ‘Arpeggio’ (so that you can see and change the arps as necessary).

7) When finished, drag the regions to your External instrument track so you can hear it play… Edit, et cetera, et cetera…

NOTE: This will also record the arp to the XS sequencer…
NOTE: At times after auditioning or recording arps you will continue to hear stray notes or arps playing. Toggle the Master Arpeggio Button to clear…

SECOND WAY

(Same as above with the following exceptions:

Skip step #3 / Steps #1, #2, #4 & #5 remain the same… then, proceed as follows:

6) Press stop on the XS transport…

7) On the MAC, Press ‘R’ to start recording in Logic- and, on the XS, quickly press: ‘Stop’ to stop the XS transport; press ‘Record’ and [F2] ‘Arpeggio’ (so that you can see and change the arps), then press any key on the XS (in sync with the click track) to start the arp on the XS. Change arps as necessary.

8) When finished, drag the region(s) to the beginning of the External Instrument Track… Edit, et cetera, et cetera…

NOTE: This will record the arp to the Logic only…
NOTE: At times after auditioning or recording arps you will continue to hear stray notes or arps playing. Toggle the Master Arpeggio Button to clear…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2010 @ 10:44 AM
Darren_H
Joined  04-14-2009

Thanks for reply. I guess what I’m trying to figure out is the best way of recording patterns or drum patches into logic and then having the ability to edit, providing different nuances to different verses etc. If I record the pattern or arp in midi it won’t playback in the same voice as on the MO. Would I record midi, alter position of notes or midi data, playback through MO and record variation of pattern as audio to retain MO voice or would I need to use sampling to activate midi data in logic?

I don’t suppose u can get yamaha plug in for MO voices?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2010 @ 12:28 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

If I record the pattern or arp in midi it won’t playback in the same voice as on the MO

Hmmm, why is that? What Audio Interface are you using? And, are you calling up the same voices on the MO?

Would I record midi, alter position of notes or midi data, playback through MO and record variation of pattern as audio to retain MO voice

Exactly...

or would I need to use sampling to activate midi data in logic?

I do not understand this statement…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2010 @ 11:46 AM
Darren_H
Joined  04-14-2009

Ok, I think u’ve answered my question. Ignore the comment about sampling, think I was way off the chart with that. Just to make sure i’ve got this right my options for recording are:
1) software track in logic using MO as midi controller.
2) record audio from MO into logic through audio interface
3) record midi data from MO to midi track (I.e user phrase drums),edit midi notes in logic arrange window to create variations of phrase, send back to MO and then record as audio to retain MO voice

hope this is a bit clearer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2010 @ 10:23 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

It is… and, you are correct…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2010 @ 11:07 AM
Darren_H
Joined  04-14-2009