mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need Help- Motif XS R & Mainstage"

Posted on: March 26, 2010 @ 07:38 PM
pipaverde
Total Posts:  59
Joined  04-25-2007

I originally made a post in the motif rack forum, but was suggested to move my topic over here.
This is my situation.
I am starting a whole new rig, as you can see my engineer sketched up a plot of how it might work.  My goal is to use Mainstage as my exclusive DAW for live performance- using a macbook pro, 2 axiom 61 controllers, a motif rack, and a presouns firestudio project audio interface. (see my rig plot below)
I now have all the physical connections routed, but my problem is getting the voices from the Motif rack in MS.
Basically, I am not even sure how I go about doing that.  I have the driver and editor installed, and I can open studio manager and see all the voices from the Motif.
What I am wondering is, how exactly do I pull these voices from within Mainstage?
What I do to attempt this is make a new channel strip, as an “external instrument” and my MIDI out is “motif Rack xs port 1” (is this right?) but then I have no sound coming out.
Will I be able to access all the Motif voices from right there in MS?  For instance I have the MTron AU loaded on my comuter, and I can easily choose a sound from those banks right there from within MS. 
Seeing as how I have never used a rack before, I am somewhat confused as to what these sounds are- AU? VST? 
I assumed that I would be able to select, from within MS, any voice from the Motif but I can not figure out how to do it.  Anyone have experience with this or some advice?  It would be greatly appreciated- thanks for any help!

(see my screenshots to see what progress I have made)

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-03-24 at 3.56.57 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-03-24 at 3.57.36 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-03-25 at 3.36.03 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2010 @ 09:21 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Alrighty then,
without getting into some apparent flaws in your engineers layout, namely the MIDI cables from the Rack XS in addition to the USB cable (curious), the simplest and quickest way to do that is going to be via the Studio Manager / Editor. A simple Command + Tab on the MBP can switch you between the programs.

Mainstage has no environment, (though I am not an expert on it by any means, that prevents it from being able to recall voices in the way that Logic does. You can however, program each individual External Instrument within Mianstage, so that when you click on them, they will transmit the proper Bank and Program Messages…

Review below:

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-03-26 at 8.07.06 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2010 @ 09:53 PM
pipaverde
Joined  04-25-2007

Wow, thank you so much.  I have now heard the first sound from the rack!
Still, I don’t really get how to choose the sounds.  For instance, when I am in Mainstage, and lets say I put a value, 6 for instance, in the “send program change” box.  What that does to the Motif is it puts it in Multi mode, and changes the patch to “User 007 Green Oasis” - and there, I have sound.

Then when I open Studio Manager, go to Multi>Multi-library and change patches, nothing on the Motif changes.  It still stays on Multi Green Oasis.  Is this because of my preferences in SM2?  See screenshot below.

Also, (maybe by default?) when I change the category search nob on the rack, it is actually changing which “song” I am playing in MS.

So those MIDI cables are unnecessary on my physical setup?  I am very new to Logic/MIDI and my engineer I think was just thinking in his head how it could work, but obviously I don’t know how its going to work.

I sincerely thank you for your advice, it really means a lot- I have been messing with my setup for hours with little results to show.

What I don’t understand (maybe because its not an AU?) is why the SM2 interface does not appear in MS and let me choose which patch I want to use (like it does with MTron) in the exs24 sampler.

I still have a while til I fully grasp whats going on with my setup and I really appreciate your help!

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-03-26 at 8.46.33 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2010 @ 10:26 PM
pipaverde
Joined  04-25-2007

And I think my problem lies in here as well- my ports are not properly set up… Anybody know what I am doing wrong here?

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-03-26 at 9.25.23 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2010 @ 10:30 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I know that exerp from the manual doesn’t mention it but, you would also want to enter the corresponding MSB and LSB messages. From page 62 of the Data List: for voices call up MSB #63 abd LSB 0-7 (for Preset Bank 1-7), LSB 8-10 (for User Banks 1-3), LSB 32 (for Drum Voice), LSB 40 (for User Drum Bank), ets…

As for your rack not responding, I know this sounds overly simplistic but, are you in USB Mode?

Then when I open Studio Manager, go to Multi>Multi-library and change patches, nothing on the Motif changes.  It still stays on Multi Green Oasis.  Is this because of my preferences in SM2?  See screenshot below.

Your ports seem to be setup properly. Page 18 of the Rack XS manual details enabling the Host to USB port. Have you done that?

Also, (maybe by default?) when I change the category search nob on the rack, it is actually changing which “song” I am playing in MS.

I believe you have a MIDI Loop going. In part, probably due to those MIDI cables I was referring to eariler. There should be no need for them. They are redundant.

What I don’t understand (maybe because its not an AU?) is why the SM2 interface does not appear in MS and let me choose which patch I want to use

The AU part is irrelevant. Only the VST Editor works within a DAW. And, the only DAW it works within is Cubsase…

Check back and let me know your progress…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2010 @ 10:37 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
pipaverde - 26 March 2010 10:26 PM

And I think my problem lies in here as well- my ports are not properly set up… Anybody know what I am doing wrong here?

review the following:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/447780/

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/447771/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2010 @ 12:25 AM
pipaverde
Joined  04-25-2007

wow man.  You have made my day!  I am very relieved.
now that my ports are setup correctly (I also followed the advice of the other thread you pointed to that instructed me to check MIDI thru) I don’t see much use for studio manager- as my plan is to find which voices I need and then input their bank numbers all in MS.

I now am miles ahead of where I was an hour ago- but I still have some lingering questions-

1) Do I want to be “online” in SM2?  and autosync?  I figure the easiest way to find which voices I want would be to scroll thru them in SM2, but for some reason, when I change a voice in SM2, it does not change what the face of the rack says… the only way I can change a voice on the rack (without turning the knob on the rack) seems to be by changing the numbers in bank select and program change in MS.  It seems that I am not correctly wired into SM2, because when I change voices on there, it does nothing to the rack (or the sounds coming from the controller).  I think that has to do with sync settings in SM2?  I assume that the editor would be a way to scroll thru voices and see which ones I like, but I can’t seem to do that at this time.

2) Could I, hypothetically, play different sounds from the 1 motif rack simultaneously on both the top and bottom controllers?

3) In my motif xs61 I usd to use a thumbdrive to load samples and my stored settings.  I assumed I would be able to easily load these into my motif rack, but it doesn’t give me the option in SM2 to load my .xoa files.  How can I do this?  Do I need to buy the Motif total librarian from this site http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/lib.php ?

These things I will learn I assume through trial and error, or if anybody has any insight.  I also pulled those MIDI cables that you said were redundant, and everything seems to be working great.  I am just happy that I now can get sounds from the Motif in Mainstage!

Thanks again you have been really helpful and its much appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2010 @ 01:00 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
pipaverde - 27 March 2010 12:25 AM

1) Do I want to be “online” in SM2?  and autosync? 

Yes...

2) Could I, hypothetically, play different sounds from the 1 motif rack simultaneously on both the top and bottom controllers?

I use Mainstage sparingly but, since you can select MIDI Channels within the External Instrument, I assume that you in fact can by setting your Axioms to transmit different MIDI channels...

3) In my motif xs61 I usd to use a thumbdrive to load samples and my stored settings.  I assumed I would be able to easily load these into my motif rack, but it doesn’t give me the option in SM2 to load my .xoa files.  How can I do this?  Do I need to buy the Motif total librarian from this site http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/lib.php ?

The Rack XS does is not capable of storing samples. The voice files themselves can be loaded from the Editor but, they need to be in the Rack XS format, I believe…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Need help setting up my MO6 to work in logic pro 8..
Next Topic:

Opinion on Logic. ››