mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "motif xs6 in Logic 9"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 06, 2010 @ 05:34 PM
dj_adam21
Total Posts:  42
Joined  06-14-2009

I recently bought a mac system and logic 9 untill now worked with cubase and PC
So my question is how do i setup my motif via usb in logic to use it like in cubase like an external isntrument with studio manager and vst editor and all the stuff
It would be great to watch a video about this ...but i didn t found any :(
Best regards adam

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2010 @ 06:18 PM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

Yamaha has chosen to only support this feature for Cubase ( since they own it ) - and not like other manufacturers let it be available across the board as VST, AU and RTAS. Since Logic uses AU you’re out of luck on that one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2010 @ 06:28 PM
dj_adam21
Joined  06-14-2009

what do u mean ? i can t use my motif in logic at all?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2010 @ 06:50 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004
pianokim - 06 February 2010 06:18 PM

Yamaha has chosen to only support this feature for Cubase ( since they own it ) - and not like other manufacturers let it be available across the board as VST, AU and RTAS. Since Logic uses AU you’re out of luck on that one.

There is a much more accurate answer that can be given here. Namely this: You can connect your XS 6 to the MAC via USB. You can use the XS Editor in conjunction with Logic 9, howbeit not within Logic 9. You can use the XS as an External Instrument within Logic. Since you have an XS 6, and assuming ( even if incorrectly), that you do not have mLAN installed. You would need an audio interface in order to carry audio into Logic. This, of course, is true for Cubase also, as the XS 6’s USB port does not transfer audio.

So, in summary, you can have essentially the same functionality using the XS Editor as a stand alone while operating within Logic. If you do a search in this Logic forum (and the archives), you should find several posts that address how set up your USB functionality, etc…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2010 @ 06:52 PM
kr=d+=+
Total Posts:  125
Joined  03-20-2009

no panic! sure you can. But not on the same way as with cubase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2010 @ 08:34 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

That’s pretty much what I stated above :) lol

Better, allow me to restate: when using the editors (stand alone or vst) via USB, there’s not as much that you are going to miss in reality… There’s a little when when using mLAN but, I haven’t missed it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2010 @ 07:27 AM
dj_adam21
Joined  06-14-2009

Thanx for the reply s guys my problem is that i m not used to the mac and logic at all....looked in the forum s for setup and things didn t found usefull info or maybe i didn t found the right ones
Anyways beside the “yes u can make it work in logiC “ so far i m still stuck on trying
What i need is a guide with pics or a video which can explain the things from the begining to the end (from instalation - actually working with the motif in logic)
I m sure that it s pretty annoying for everyone who wants to help that u got the same question over and over"how can i make my motif work in logic”
I forgot to tell u my setup is motif-mac via usb(don t have a Mlan ) and i m usint my virus ti synth as my soundcard from virus-monitors it s pretty basic stuff
Best regards adam!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2010 @ 12:22 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

My 3rd answer in This Thread detials the USB setup of the XS within Logic…

Halfway down on This Page, Bad-Mister details how to setup the XS Editor / Studio Manager for MAC via USB. Disregard the Cubase info…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2010 @ 10:46 AM
dj_adam21
Joined  06-14-2009

Hey motif8mine i installed the usb driver studio manager and editor ,i also seted up the midi in ams (made some pics) when i create an external midi chanel in logic it s nothing there to hook it up to ...and can t syncronise with the editor also
Midi is going in and i can play synths using it as midi just no sounds would come out .I think its somekind of routing problem
Any toughts on this ?

Image Attachments
IMG_0016.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0019.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2010 @ 07:38 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Any toughts on this ?

Yes, and no…

First, allow me to admit my complete ignorance of the Virus TI. You mentioned that you are using it as a soundcard but, I do not know how many audio inputs it has or how many channels of audio it transfers to the DAW. Get back to me on that…

And, as it relates to the pics- have you set the XS 6 to operate via USB Mode?

Set the XS to operate via USB
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [STORE] to lock in your Utility mode settings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2010 @ 07:47 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I forgot something: another thing to try, (because it does appear you are set to USB mode in the first pic), is to first create an External MIDI Track and route it, to both the XS 6 port and a MIDI Channel, just to force Logic to recognize the XS and to create the appropriate XS Device in the Environment. After that, you should see the ports appear as an option in the external instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2010 @ 05:53 AM
dj_adam21
Joined  06-14-2009

I made the external midi i got 16 midi chanels but still doesnt works i m out of ideeas can u make a few pics of some key elements in your setup please ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2010 @ 04:42 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Can you please list all of your connections for me? We need to get this working…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2010 @ 07:42 AM
dj_adam21
Joined  06-14-2009

OK so far so good about my setup :the motif is conected via usb
and the 2 outputs are conected to my virust ti inputs which go out to my monitrs (youll see in the pic 1)
I made a new instrument in the eviroment and I got sound i was able to record it midi and it played it back as audio i even bounced it (pic 2)
So right now i can work with my motif inside Logic 9 i can select 16 different instruments and everything goes as should be
The only problem is that i can t make the studio manager and the editor to sync to what i m doing in Logic .
I still don t get any port option in the editor as u saw in the first set of pics

Image Attachments
motif in virus.JPGmotif.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2010 @ 01:40 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Not at my XS today: I’m snowed in…

But, it does not appear that you have the latest Editor installed. Make sure you’ve downloaded and installed the latest version of Studio Manager and the XS Editor… I’ll post a pic of my Editor Ports as soon as I can…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2010 @ 02:01 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, still not there but try this…

Open the Studio Manager. And from the Toolbar>SM2>Preferences

In the pop-up window that opens, Click the MIDI Settings Tab and make sure Port#1 is checked. It may have the same name as the Device you created in AMS. That should allow you to see your ports in the Editor…

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2