mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Back to basics"

Posted on: January 16, 2010 @ 10:12 PM
Darren_H
Total Posts:  28
Joined  04-14-2009

ok, I’ve had a few posts up here that some of you kind people have been helping with, and it’s clear I’m struggling to grasp even the basics of the MO. I thought by purchasing the MO8 (all the way back in 2007) it’d help me get some demo quality for my original music. I also had the idea of perhaps gigging mainly with covers and thought a sequencer would enable me to lay down songs that i could use as backing to my guitar and vocals.

No doubt the MO has all these capabilities but I just seem to be going round and round in circles trying to fathom things out. I have tried the manual and the GO mO DVD without much success.

Anyways. I’ve kind of given up on trying to master the built in sequencer and think the best route would be to just audio into some software. I have Garage band which works ok for this (plus there are some neat guitar amps that come with it. I also have a copy of Cubase AI which I looked at briefly along with the studio connections thing and received another headache.

Is it really worth me persevering with the built-in sequencer or just sticking to Garage Band. I like the idea of having a DAW but it seems too hard to learn. Or would Logic Express 9 be easier to use seeing as I already have a Mac.

If anyone has any tips on how they got their heads round the learning curve or pointers to help me out I’d be greatly appreciative. I guess I need to get back to the very beginning and start again.

Yours frustrated

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2010 @ 11:52 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

I’m not sure exactly why it is taking so long for you to grasp the MO’s sequencer but in general, allow me to say that the same principles that govern it, govern Cubase, Logic, etc… And those principles once learned are transferable: you know what to do and you discover how the DAW does it. For example: you record MIDI, edit MIDI, transpose it perhaps, quantize it etc… Anyway, I don’t know that a computer based DAW is going to be simpler for you. And, really the fundamentals of recording MIDI and audio are the same. It’s a tape transport and a multi-track: so, it going to involve some routing, etc…

That said, we each learn differently. I still prefer hardware based sequencers because I learn better when I can touch it… This forum is a wonderful resource but, those who sold you the MO should be able to assist you also, hopefully. Or, see if they can recommend another owner and network with them. Maybe pay a dollar or to to show you the ropes if you need to…

Someone posted that Cubase 5 has a free 30 day demo. It would be worth your trying that out before purchasing any DAW: even, if you eventually purchase something less expensive… But, it still will require getting into the manuals… If you are going to go it alone, there is no substitute for that…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2010 @ 06:50 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Ps,
here’s an example of someone recording in the MO8 without reading the manual…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_homXEeP1Fc

It kind of illustrated what I was mentioning above…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2010 @ 01:24 PM
Darren_H
Total Posts:  28
Joined  04-14-2009

Thanks for the advice and the link! Think I’ll just stick with garage band for now and try and get a demo together as that’s all I want at this stage, after all I’m not a music producer!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ midi timing
Next Topic:

64 BIT UPDATE AVAILABLE! ››