mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Logic Mlan output setting and more"

Posted on: January 04, 2010 @ 10:27 PM
Overhead
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-04-2010

Hi,
Motifator Xs rack forum users

I know a post like mine can be redundant, i might have over look some post, but i did my digging my reading.
But i need a bit of help,i hope this post help some other XS rack user as well.

Searching this forum helped me to familiarize with the device , to narrow down the case scenario that i’m in, but i couldn’t get all the information in one place for using this unit with Logic, making it harder to search since some explanation are in the Motif Xs8 work station forum .

--
Bought the unit in december 2009
been testing it , with the older set of driver for a month or so.
I like the sound of the unit, i got the unit for the sound quality to replace Built-in General Midi.
I use the unit in the studio as my main synth, but it is also a nice live tool that can quickly set the mood.

With trial and error i got most of what i expected out of this unit
but still i cant get the full work of the XS rack…

I spent some time during the holidays to setup my new gears which hold Xs rack as the main synth, I hope to finalize the setup (the XS part) , so i can back up my clean base setting Os x, and then start working.

I did sevral testing to check out the behaviour of the device, responding time,
manager editor, voice limit etc.
I am aware of the unit limitation VST3 , Loading time , sync, preset
preparation for session, Studio manager editor stand alone on the side etc etc…

I have a Small but flexible DAW, some artiste demand requires that i must have a large pallet of material available “quickly” to brows thru and audition, for that i don’t depend on the arp or the built in sequence of the unit, yes there is some interesting result that can be generated from them.

My old setup had a software general midi synth VST softsynth , it used to be meant as reference for auditioning midi material. Then i used to replaced the GM vst synth track with some sampled instrument. So i bought the XS rack to skip that step since the sound is styled and realistic, it is one less task for the hard disk “those long to load samples”. My midi sequence are organized in such a way that the instrument are always in the same track position 1: bass 2: keys .... 10: drum.

The master media that i deliver to the artiste must have, all tracks in audio format instrumentals and vocals tracks
separately and of course several other mixes.

So far i usually composed without the arp patterns
XS playing back some midi files sequence
In some case i can use the unit to do some sort of remix (using those arp)

overall the unit requires preparation and organization to fit your workflow setup needs..

anyway That said ....
--

-What I want-
14 individual audio tracks from the mlan simultaneously
Drum on midi channel 10 responding to midi standard GM drum (my unit is set to startup with GM preset i think this is just patch wise)

-what i got working-
output via Mlan firewire to 1& 2
sync via midi responding to tempo change.
sync with the Studio Manager editor Via USB

-My setup-
mac pro
Os x 10.6.2 64bit
Apogee ensemble
Logic 9
Novation Sl mkII (midi controller)

The image below (picture 4) display my base setup the Track named >Yam XS< are the mlan output
The track name >XS< are the midi tracks. logic will; be in a steady state (track always at the same place) after my setup is done for apple scripting and automator workflow

i have updated the XS device os (december 30 2009)
drivers
Xs os, Drivers and software

FirmWare driver IEEE1394 v 1.07 - 1.1.0
Yamaha FW driver 1.5.1

-Connection-
optical out to Apogee Ensemble (main mix L&R;)
Motif XS rack is connecter to my Mac via USB and Via Mlan
I got a novation mk11 output midi to the Motif XS rack
The XS responding to 16 midi channels , program change midi parameters etc (still
got problem with some control mapping)
Logic receive the midi message from the USB connection that are sent to the unit from my keyboard controller

(picture 5)

-----

(picture 6)

above is the environment that i created for multi instrument for the XS dummie keyboard (the XS8 is was only there for the instrument name and test)

Studio manager detects 2 devices
When i only got the XS rack.... Maybe my bad, since i installed the expansion update?
could this conflict anything?

(Picture 7)

Here is the screenshot of the device on my Mac, i have aggregated those devices.

(picture 8)

-XS Rack os setup -
IEEE 1394 : FW
mLan monitor : stand alone
midi in/out : USB
External sync

And a other thing…

A big problem that i dont understand is that the unit keep on freezing yes freez (not just stuck note)
the unit got to be turned off and turned on everytime , this affect Sequenser to crash sometime that his Bad , since a device is suddenly missing. Logic must be restarted each and every-time this problem happen…

Fist i was thinking that i am sending much message to the Xs rack,
Midi input isolation, some message that i was sending showed me that it was the
unit that was kinda of unstable. maybe my sequencer it maybe some of things but..

I can turn on the unit and leave it on without operating it in anyway (just connected to my computer)
with no midi or sync message sent to it), and it crashes after a certain amount of time.
This happen so many time during my month long test drive, and i don’t want this to happen during a session.

I wonder if anybody else got this kinda of problem or know a way to troubleshoot it so i don’t have to pray for this unit to behave.
--
sorry i wasn’t able to place in the screenshot properly
Thanks

Image Attachments
Picture 5.jpgPicture 4.jpgPicture 6.jpgPicture 7.jpgPicture 8.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2010 @ 12:01 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I moved your post to the Logic forum as your question(s) and issue seem to all related to how to setup Logic. Hopefully you will get some help here from those knowledgeable about Logic setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2010 @ 03:24 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

I have a Small but flexible DAW, some artiste demand requires that i must have a large pallet of material available “quickly” to brows thru and audition, for that i don’t depend on the arp or the built in sequence of the unit

Mmmmm, where to begin? There’s so much going on here… Not sure what you are referring to by ‘built in sequence’. We are referring to the Rack XS, correct? As relating to aggregate devices and recording in general, see the quotes below from this following post:

motif8mine - 14 September 2009 11:41 AM

...an aggregate device! Depending on your setup, that could be a little ???, ( Oh, I think a our friends accross the pond would call it ‘dodgy’).

Dreamflight - 14 September 2009 11:41 AM

Aggregate devices are not advisable unless you have hardware clock sync signal between them. I certainly never use an aggregate device. ”Dodgy” is indeed the correct terminology for non hard-sync’d aggregate devices :) Df.

That is, it is ok to have an aggregate device on your system but, in general you do not want to utilize this within Logic. Especially, not without the hardware clock mentioned above. This may be the cause of your freezing issues.

-What I want-
14 individual audio tracks from the mlan simultaneously
Drum on midi channel 10 responding to midi standard GM drum (my unit is set to startup with GM preset i think this is just patch wise)

-what i got working-
output via Mlan firewire to 1& 2
sync via midi responding to tempo change.
sync with the Studio Manager editor Via USB

Without any idea of how you setup let me suggest the following first. The Rack XS should either be connected to the MAC via mLAN or USB and not both. Both= problems. mLAN is fully capable of moving both Audio and / or MIDI. And, I am almost tempted to have you just start from scractch to ensure your success. The 14 Audio tracks is simple enough. You simply create 14 audio tracks in Logic and route the mLAN output to the input bus of those tracks in Logic’s track inpector… Of course with 14 tracks, only two of them can be stereo and the other 12 in mono, as a max of 16 channels of audio can be transmitted via mLAN…

Again the Studio Manager needs to be reset via the mLAN ports to function properly in an mLAN setup. I also think that the two XS icons in the environment are a little problematic.

IEEE 1394 : FW
mLan monitor : stand alone Should be either w/ PC or ‘w/ PC (MNTR) as per manual- pg. 98
midi in/out : USB Should be either mLAN as per manual- pg. 99
External sync

Well this is a start at least…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2010 @ 01:25 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

btw,
for specific instructions on how to route the Rack XS parts to mLAN See The Following Post. This should be much easier to do from the Rack XS editor…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2010 @ 04:55 PM
Overhead
Joined  01-04-2010

motif8mine \

thanks for pointing out those treads,
I have uninstalled USB drivers,i might reinstall it someday.
i have unplug my midi controller from the XS rack, so i don’t get double messages
i rerouted the midi output from my midi controller to the XS mlan midi in

mlan monitor : with pc
ieee 1394 :FW (if i set it to mlan it dosent work)

I got the 14-16 outputs working.(it was in play mode page 4) and right in front of me in the editor..

i set the sequencer to used the Xs as input without the aggregated other device and it does worked
-works even in aggregated mode (but clock is needed)

now, that this is done

The unit is set the receive/sends midi via mlan , the device sync up with the editor,sequencer sending midi clock sync signal to the mlan main in port, the sounds is outputted to the mlan on multiple outputs, It works until i press stop (on the sequencer transport) then when i change preset patch in the editor, press play again no sound (headphone, main out, optical, mlan )
-(i see the light blinking receiving midi).

weirdly sometime if i switch the receiving midi back to Usb(auto) the unit starts to generate sounds again.

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2010 @ 05:22 PM
Overhead
Joined  01-04-2010

Never mind last post

i guess my mac needed a reboot somehow
everything works, and it was so obvious

and everything works even in aggregated mode, with no problem so far

thanks again

[ Ignore ]