mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "HELP ! i just got my motif rack xs and no sound …:("

Page 1 of 5
Posted on: December 13, 2009 @ 02:05 AM
kidA1280
Total Posts:  68
Joined  12-13-2009

i just got my motif rack xs. my daw is logic 9, my interface is an m audio fast track pro, i have an m-audio midi key board and mackie monitors. so this is my problem…

i downloaded all the drivers hooked it up the right way with usb in and out (keyboard out to the motif in , motif in to the interface out, monitors plugged in to the interface)

in logic i click on external instrument and no sound from the monitors but it does record what i played

i even hooked the monitors to the motif and i get sound from the monitors and it records on the daw but its doesnt play back my logic vst;s and loops

i really need someones imput because i am very frustrated with all this

thanks

sean

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2009 @ 05:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Note: I moved your post here to the LOGIC forum...

Your question is very general, and not at all a problem with your Motif-Rack XS.

While there is no m-AUDIO forum here, you can post your questions about Logic 9 in the Logic forum heading here on Motifator, we have several very knowledgeable Logic people that hang out here often - I’m sure they can give you tips on how to get Logic to work for you.

In general we can tell you that you want to connect your monitors to the device acting as your AUDIO INTERFACE (in your case the m-audio device). You want to connect the audio outputs of your Motif-Rack XS to your audio interface.

It is the audio interfaces job to handle incoming signal (from the Rack XS) and send it to your DAW (Logic) and route all of that to your monitor speakers.

Don’t blame the Motif-Rack XS it is doing fine - as you proved yourself… You need help setting up your m-audio unit and Logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2009 @ 08:09 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004
kidA1280 - 13 December 2009 02:05 AM

motif rack xs… logic 9… m audio fast track pro… m-audio midi key board and mackie monitors. so this is my problem…

sean

I use the Fast Track Pro as a secondary device and I can help you get started but first, a few questions… typically, you would want to include this info in your request for help…

1) Operating System
2) Name of drivers you downloaded & installed…
3) Specific MIDI Connections- How exactly is the Motif Rack connected?
4) I’m still recovering from travel so, bear with me. I’m probably forgetting something obvious…

Oh yes, finally- post a pic of your Audio MIDI Setup please…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2009 @ 11:49 PM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

ok

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

1. i using Mac OS X

2. i downloaded the up to date driver for motif rack xs as instructed in the manual

3. i included a pic of my connections

also, with the editor /studio manager i need help assigning the midi connections

and when i go to FILE > SETUP > it says ports in host have not been properly set

and when i go to BULK > DATA SYNC > it says connection is not established

is my connection all wrong? do i need to set up my ports

thanks for the help in advance

sean

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 12:13 AM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

here is the pic

Image Attachments
Untitled.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 01:14 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Hello,
as I mentioned I’m recovering from a trip. I’m kind of in and out sleeping so, I’ll answer tomorrow morning. But, in the meantime, are you running Leopard or Snow Leopard?  Thanks

Ah yes, and what kind of Mac is it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 11:34 AM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

leopard

and regular mac book 110 gb \

thanks for your help

sean

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 11:36 AM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

i thought mac OS X was an operating system

not sure if i have leopard or not

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 06:02 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
kidA1280 - 14 December 2009 11:36 AM

i thought mac OS X was an operating system
not sure if i have leopard or not

KidA1280,
you find the operating system by click on the Apple and the top of the keyboard and selecting “About This Mac”.

10.6.0 plus = Snow Leopard
10.5.0 - 10.5.9 = Leopard
10.4.0 - 10.4.9 = Tiger

I’m going to start with basic setup…

To properly setup your system and be able to utilize the Studio Manager will require a USB hub. The M-Audio Fast Pro, M-Audio MIDI Keyboard and Motif Rack XS all must be connected to the Macbook via USB…

Set the XS Rack to operate via USB Mode

Set the XS Rack to work in Multi Mode

CORE AUDIO / LOGIC SETTINGS:
1) Logic Pro 9 will recognize any device setup in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. (So from the Desktop or Finder, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. In the Utility folder, open the Audio MIDI Setup.

CAUTION:The AMS functions differently depending on what operating system you are running. In Leopard, there is a MIDI Tab and an Audio Tab. Select the Audio Tab. in Snow Leopard, there is a MIDI Window and an Audio Window. Select the MIDI Window.

When properly installed, the Yamaha-USB Driver should be auto-configured by Audio Midi Setup; and, it will appear there. It will be grayed out unless the Motif is connected. If it is not there, 1a) Verify that the XS is set to operate via USB if not corrected, 1b) Completely remove and reinstall the driver- see documentation that came with the driver…

2) Audio Midi Setup will recognize the Yamaha-USB driver but, not the keyboard. It must be manually setup in AMS. Choose the MIDI Devices Tab. Select ‘Add Device’. An item appears called ‘new external device’. Double-click the first device. Type ‘XS Rack’ as the Device Name. You can select Yamaha as the manufacturer. Apply the changes and close)…

3) Move it (the Motif XS Rack Device) directly under the Yamaha USB Driver, (it should be there once the driver is installed correctly). (There is at least one set of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports). Place your cursor at the left downfacing triangle (out port) and drag to the left triangle of the Motif Device (in port). It draws a virtual cable. Draw just the one and- Close ‘AMS’)…

4) Open Logic 9 and create an external instrument track; the XS Rack should appear in the Media / Library as an option… (more than one XS Rack port will be shown; select the one that has the exact name as the device in you setup in AMS. The 1-16 correspond to your XS Rack’s Midi channels)

5) To record more than one midi channel at a time, you must do the following: From the Logic ToolBar select ‘Settings’ {or File> Project Settings}; Click the Recording Tab; check the Auto Demix By Channel… When you create additional external tracks for the Motif. Select the XS Rack Instrument from the library as stated above and the corresponding Midi Channel.

When each track is record enabled, the Midi should be distributed to the proper channels- you will notice this when recording stops…

Now, as it relates to audio…
When the M-Audio Fast Track Driver is properly installed, it too will appear as a driver in AMS (MIDI Tab of MIDI Window. But, choose the Audio Tab or open the AMS’ Audio Window. (So again from the Desktop or Finder, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. In the Utility folder, reopen the Audio MIDI Setup. It should look like pic#1 (in Snow Leopard).Close AMS…

Ensure that Logic 9 is set to use the Fast Track Pro. From the Toolbar>Preferences>Audio>Devices. It should look like pic#2. Click the Apple Icon>System Preferences>Other>M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Check the Outputs that correspond to the physiacl connection of your cables. It should look like pic#3. Uncheck any unused outputs. Close…

You should hear audio coming through whateve powered monitors you have connected to the Fast Track Pro…

Now, if you go through your Studio Manager setup, it should work perfectly...

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2009-12-14 at 2.34.26 PM.pngScreen shot 2009-12-14 at 2.16.36 PM.pngScreen shot 2009-12-14 at 2.35.40 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 10:02 PM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

running mac OS X 10.5.8 2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo
2gb

so i have leopard

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 10:04 PM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

my first order of business is to get a usb cable and a multiple usb outlet hub as i only have 2 usb outlets on my mac

thats why i thought i was able to use the fast track pro

i hooked up the motif with midi cables to the fast track

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2009 @ 10:31 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

If you are wanting to utilize the Studio Manager simultaneously with Logic, you will need the hub. If you choose that it is not necessary, simply modify the instructions above regarding the MIDI Tab of the AMS and connect the cable from the M-Audio Driver to the XS Rack Device you create.

That should be all you need…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2009 @ 01:04 AM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

does the rack have to be connected to the computer via usb while i download the driver

the driver is not showing up on ams

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2009 @ 01:30 AM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

its actually pretty funny i know i downloaded the usb driver because it is showing up under system preferences under other

so why is it not showing up under ams

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2009 @ 01:46 AM
kidA1280
Joined  12-13-2009

its not letting me draw a line from the xs rack to the fast track in ams > midi devices

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 5

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sustain Pedal, Motif XS, Logic?
Next Topic:

Help with Logic Studio and Motif Rack ES ››