mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Logic 9 and all sort of MIDI hassles !!!"

Posted on: December 05, 2009 @ 12:07 PM
davidteren
Total Posts:  88
Joined  06-18-2006

Hi,

I’m using Logic Pro 9.02 and Studio Manager 1.2.1 and am experiencing all sorts of latency issues with MIDI timing and the Playback of ARPs.

Some time the Playback of a part will be pitched and other time the Arps will play by themselves.

Any ideas?

David

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2009 @ 12:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I moved your thread here to the LOGIC heading, as your issue is not related to the Motif XS but to settings between your computer and Logic. We have many experienced Logic users here in this forum and you will, no doubt, receive the best help in getting around Logic 9 here in this forum heading.

Recording arpeggios directly from the XS to an external sequencer is the very deep end of the pool. In general, you will want to setup using QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #4: Recording Arpeggio to computer
You will want to follow the recommendation that warns to “Turn DAW echo OFF”

In order to activate the Arpeggio data to go out via MIDI - the Motif XS must first generate the arpeggio pattern data. Remember the normal situation is you work with LOCAL CONTROL = OFF so that when you press the keys the data goes OUT via MIDI to your DAW software and is recorded, the DAW software then echoes the note data back to the tone generator of the Motif XS.

This will not work for arpeggios, because it is not you playing, per se, it is the arpeggio pattern that you want to record. Therefore you must work with LOCAL CONTROL = ON. The key presses travel to the arpeggiators, which generate the note patterns which of course you must hear, to the tone generator is triggered before the data is output via MIDI… Thus LOCAL CONTROL must be ON.

The MIDI data arriving in your DAW must DEAD-END there, in other words, in this scenario you do not want to echo the note data back to the Motif XS (as this would be redundant).

Recommendataion: If you have not earned your MIDI Jedi Knight Merit Badge in MIDI routing… record the arpeggio data to the Motif XS’s own sequencer. It is designed to do so, quickly, easily and without issue… then you can setup to transfer the data from the Motif XS sequencer to your favorite DAW in a typical fashion (synchronize clocks with your DAW as master, Motif XS as slave) press play and record it over.

However, if you do want to do it “live” then expect to deal with not only clock issues, but the routing situation I outlined above… with the arpeggio generated data dead-ending in your DAW (no ECHO)… at least during record.

As to stopping the arpeggiator… you need to do that, remember it is taking the place of YOU playing. You have not problem with stopping yourself, you lift your hands from the keys… however, when controlling the arpeggio, you may have HOLD on in which case you may manually have to stop it - particularly if you continue to send it clock information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2009 @ 12:58 PM
davidteren
Total Posts:  88
Joined  06-18-2006

Sorry my er… Bad :)

I’ll follow up there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2009 @ 11:17 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

My answer from a previous post...

motif8mine - 18 April 2009 02:36 PM

FIRST WAY

1) In Logic select from the Toolbar>Settings>Metronome and change MIDI Port to Off.

2) Select the MIDI Tab ( Toolbar>Settings>MIDI) and in MIDI Thru, change the ‘Instrument Without MIDI Thru’ to ‘Input Notes’- Reverse these settings when finished...

3) Create a software instrument track to record onto (this prevents a MIDI loop). Leave it blank. And, arm it to record…

4) On the XS, from Song Mode, Press [SEQ SETUP]; Press [F3] QUICK Select Template #4: ‘Recording Arpeggio to Computer’. Press enter to set it and exit.

5) Press Record, then F2 (Arpeggio). Set switch and hold to on. If you dont select hold, you’ll have to keep the key depressed. Select your arps and turn the Master Arpeggio Button On/Off to ‘On’…

6) Press ‘R’ to start recording in Logic and press any key on the XS (in sync with the click track) to start the arp on the XS. [F2] ‘Arpeggio’ (so that you can see and change the arps as necessary).

7) When finished, drag the regions to your External instrument track so you can hear it play… Edit, et cetera, et cetera…

NOTE: This will also record the arp to the XS sequencer…
NOTE: At times after auditioning or recording arps you will continue to hear stray notes or arps playing. Toggle the Master Arpeggio Button to clear…

SECOND WAY

(Same as above with the following exceptions:

Skip step #3 / Steps #1, #2, #4 & #5 remain the same… then, proceed as follows:

6) Press stop on the XS transport…

7) On the MAC, Press ‘R’ to start recording in Logic- and, on the XS, quickly press: ‘Stop’ to stop the XS transport; press ‘Record’ and [F2] ‘Arpeggio’ (so that you can see and change the arps), then press any key on the XS (in sync with the click track) to start the arp on the XS. Change arps as necessary.

8) When finished, drag the region(s) to the beginning of the External Instrument Track… Edit, et cetera, et cetera…

NOTE: This will record the arp to the Logic only…
NOTE: At times after auditioning or recording arps you will continue to hear stray notes or arps playing. Toggle the Master Arpeggio Button to clear…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ how do you get USR Banks 1,2,3 from motif XS in Logic Pro 9?
Next Topic:

Too Ambitious???? ››