mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "LOGIC PRO 9 IS HERE!"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: July 24, 2009 @ 12:36 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Oooowee! This here is nice, real nice!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2009 @ 02:31 AM
alwaysuptil1
Total Posts:  137
Joined  02-07-2009

You don’t have it ALREADY do you????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2009 @ 11:34 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

On its way!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2009 @ 02:07 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

We all would love to hear your full review.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2009 @ 04:05 PM
w7ptt
Total Posts:  156
Joined  02-16-2009

It would be interesting to know with Logic Pro 9 if you can truly do Multimbral software instruments (with a separate volume fader for each track) of the 16 tracks/channels.  Currently you can get 16 tracks on 16 different channels but you can’t get a separate volume fader for each track with Logic Pro 8.  If you want to use a software instrument that is multitimbral).

Bill :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2009 @ 04:28 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  688
Joined  08-13-2002
w7ptt - 27 July 2009 04:05 PM

It would be interesting to know with Logic Pro 9 if you can truly do Multimbral software instruments (with a separate volume fader for each track) of the 16 tracks/channels.  Currently you can get 16 tracks on 16 different channels but you can’t get a separate volume fader for each track with Logic Pro 8.  If you want to use a software instrument that is multitimbral).

Bill :)

I have posted the same question on several other forums, with NO feedback yet about this detail.

I hate to be a pessimist, but my guess is that it has NOT been fixed in LP9, same old issue, which is quite annoying !  Having said that, it seems like LP8/LP9 offers much better multi-processor utilization if you just use one instrument per instance of a multi-timbr. plug-in such as Kontakt 3, or PLAY. Each instance uses a small amount of RAM, so if you have 8 GB or more on a Mac Pro, it should not be a problem opening multiple instances of multi-timbral VI’s assigned to just one channel, so you won’t have any of that midi CC automation issues, since only one instrument per instance is loaded.

Well… if they did fix, then that’s great news !

Any feedback on this detail from LP9 users would be great. I have not upgraded to LP9, I think I will wait a bit for a bug fix update first. 

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 11:34 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Quick answer which I’ll expound upon when I get time: I can already think a few ways that this could be done in Logic 8, let alone Logic 9. But, I’ll be away from my XS for most of the day or longer. Fader Objects in the Environment is one. The power of Logic is that if the developers did not place a particular function in, many times, you can, in the environment. This can also be done, I believe in the track header assignment. There’s one last way but, I’ll verify all of these later…

Peace…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 02:02 PM
w7ptt
Total Posts:  156
Joined  02-16-2009

As muziksculp and myself have been commenting on, if we are using a Software Instrument in Logic 8 (where the software plugin is inserted in the input area of the I/O of the fader) we can’t do it as a multi-timbral instrument.

An example would be any of the Play interfaces from East West, or let’s say even Halion Symphonic Orchestra (where you can put an instruement on each channel, up to 16 channels with one instance).  When you create a multi-timbral intrument with Logic 8, yes you get 16 tracks BUT you only get ONE FADER for all 16 tracks.  So if you had a Trumpet, Cello, French Horn, etc if you wanted to change the volume of the trumpet, the volume of the Cello and French Horn would change at the same time.

Hopefully this limitation was fixed in Logic Pro 9.

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 06:43 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

One of the Mac Pros here was upgraded to Logic 9 today. I have no idea why; my only involvement being to sign a cheque!

I’m on my own here now (22:45) and have little experience with Logic but if you give me a set of instructions, I would be happy to follow it and endeavour to get you an answer.

Regards,

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 09:28 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
w7ptt - 29 July 2009 02:02 PM

As muziksculp and myself have been commenting on, if we are using a Software Instrument in Logic 8 (where the software plugin is inserted in the input area of the I/O of the fader) we can’t do it as a multi-timbral instrument.

An example would be any of the Play interfaces from East West, or let’s say even Halion Symphonic Orchestra (where you can put an instruement on each channel, up to 16 channels with one instance).  When you create a multi-timbral intrument with Logic 8, yes you get 16 tracks BUT you only get ONE FADER for all 16 tracks.  So if you had a Trumpet, Cello, French Horn, etc if you wanted to change the volume of the trumpet, the volume of the Cello and French Horn would change at the same time.

Bill

Again, that’s incorrect but, I’ll be at my studio tomorrow…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 09:45 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Here is at least one way to have faders for each channel of a multi instrument. I’m not familiar with the software you guys are using but my third party software instruments have individual volume controls in them already and, there had always been a means for Logic to do this very thing… CLICK ON ME

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2009 @ 02:54 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

But back to Motif8mine’s review of Logic 9....  ready, GO!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2009 @ 09:49 PM
muziksculp
Joined  08-13-2002
motif8mine - 29 July 2009 09:28 PM
w7ptt - 29 July 2009 02:02 PM

Bill

Again, that’s incorrect but, I’ll be at my studio tomorrow…

Hi motif8mine,

I think you are confusing multi-timbral, and multi-output. 

The problem here is with Multi-Timbral Virtual Instruments in LP8. I’m not sure this has changed in LP9. 

This is a well known issue, and has been documented hundreds of times on many audio-forums.  Nothing new. It’s been around for a long time.  I was hoping that Apple/Logic has fixed this issue in LP9, so far I have no confirmation they fixed it. (and I’m not too optimistic that they did fix it). 

By the way, Cubase 5 handles Multi-Timbral VSTs much better than LP8, since there is no issues in automating CC7 and CC10 from Cubase 4/5. On the other hand, when you send automation CC7, or CC10 from Logic Pro 8 to a multi-timbral VI, such as Kontakt 3, or Stylus RMX, all other parts even if they are set to midi channels 2, 3, 4, ..etc will also follow the CC7 & CC10 automation data being sent for midi Channel ‘1’ , or if you are sending from LP channel 2, then all the other parts will also react to this.  (basically you can’t send CC7 & 10 independently without effecting other midi channels/parts from LP8).

I know there are workarounds by modifying, and adding objects in the environment, which is a bit convoluted IMHO, and a waste of time, since this should not have been an issue in the first place, allowing for a much smoother, and faster workflow in LP8, but that’s not the case., hence I was hoping that it has been fixed by Apple in LP9.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2009 @ 10:40 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

muziksculp, I am not confused. The question had to do with faders to control the individual instrument channels volume and this is, as stated, one way to do it. If you are not clear on how this can work, we can take it up in another post. As alwaysuptil1 has pointed out, the post has taken quite a turn from the subject matter…

This is a well known issue, and has been documented hundreds of times on many audio-forums

Again, respectfully, not knowing how to do something or not being willing to learn or go through the steps to do something is not necessarily ‘an issue’. Every setup requires time. There is setup time to get an XS to work with Cubase and they are sister companies. This time cannot necessarily be considered ‘a waste of time’, neither something that slows workflow. After this, or one of the other ways to accomplish this, are saved in your template, it opens automatically with your projects and greatly enhances you workflow…

Cubase 5 handles Multi-Timbral VSTs much better than LP8

LP8 does not handle VST’s, there is no support for them…

when you send automation CC7, or CC10 from Logic Pro 8 to a multi-timbral VI, such as Kontakt 3, or Stylus RMX, all other parts even if they are set to midi channels 2, 3, 4, ..etc will also follow the CC7 & CC10 automation data being sent for midi Channel ‘1’ , or if you are sending from LP channel 2, then all the other parts will also react to this.  (basically you can’t send CC7 & 10 independently without effecting other midi channels/parts from LP8).

There is also a ‘workaround’ or solution for this…

I know there are workarounds

The issue is not one of workarounds, but flexibility. Logic is flexible enough to adapt to any number of different software and hardware setups.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2009 @ 01:42 AM
muziksculp
Joined  08-13-2002

Just to be clear about multi-timbral VI handling, IMHO, Cubase 5 offers a more direct workflow, when it comes to setting-up/handling multi-timbral virtual Instruments (VSTs), Logic Pro 8/9 needs to be tweaked to work properly with multi-timbral VI’s.

I totally understand that you can create a template, with all the needed fixes, and needs to be done only once, and then use the LP8/9 template for loading multi-timbral VIs.  But the point remains that LP’s requires more work/mouse clicks than Cubase 5 to accomplish this from scratch, hence more time.

Workflow, and time are important factors, and make a difference when you need to stay creative. also, I feel that some times having too much flexibility can be counter productive.

Sorry, I agree, it seems this topic is going OT.  so…

Enjoy working with LP9 !

It has some great new features. I will receive my LP9 update tomorrow. It should be fun to try out the new audio editing features (flex, variaudio, the new warped effects for sound designer, ...etc.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2009 @ 02:37 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Sure and thanks for the Cubase advertisements! Also, I’ll spare you a list of all the things Cubase cannot do that Logic can… :)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2