mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using Macbook and ES6 with mlan live"

Posted on: July 03, 2009 @ 05:24 PM
Travolta
Total Posts:  20
Joined  08-15-2003

Hi. I’ve been trying to hunt down the topic for soft synths and mlan and apologize if answered elsewhere. I’m hoping to get some guidance on live setups. In my home setup I use MOTU Ultralite with Macbook (Core 2 duo Intel 2.1ghz, 4gb RAM 7200 RPM Internal drive) which I control from my EX5 synth. Can the mlan replace the pure functionality of the Ultralite? (Control soft synths, playback sequences/audio and possible doing those functions simultaneously as well as assign multiple outputs) My live setup is MO8 on bottom with ES6 on top and to keep things clean would like to pop mlan into my ES6. I will be using bits and parts of Logic8/Reason4/Ableton8 and Mainstage as standalone and potentially some rewiring.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2009 @ 02:28 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

My 2¢...

Can the mlan replace the pure functionality of the Ultralite? (Control soft synths, playback sequences/audio and possible doing those functions simultaneously as well as assign multiple outputs)?

Technically, mLAN can do none of those things, your ES can. The ES Editor can help greatly with assigning multiple outputs but, if you’re planning on trying to do that on the fly in a live setting: good luck… You can make it work with a lot of prep for your sets...

My live setup is MO8 on bottom with ES6 on top and to keep things clean would like to pop mlan into my ES6.

Another issue is going to be figuring out a way to get Audio from both the EX5 and MO8 into Logic, etc… I guess you might be able to use both lightpipe and the line ins simultaneously and then route it via mLAN- I never attempted it...

I will be using bits and parts of Logic8/Reason4/Ableton8 and Mainstage as standalone and potentially some rewiring.

Another issue is going to probably be attempting to operate in Mainstage and use mLAN at the same time. Mainstage- (I use it but, not very often), is not designed to be used while in multi-timbral on your keyboard. And, mLAN is designed to be in either Pattern or Song mode, ideally… Just food for thought…

Peace…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2009 @ 08:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002
Travolta - 03 July 2009 05:24 PM

Hi. I’ve been trying to hunt down the topic for soft synths and mlan and apologize if answered elsewhere. I’m hoping to get some guidance on live setups. In my home setup I use MOTU Ultralite with Macbook (Core 2 duo Intel 2.1ghz, 4gb RAM 7200 RPM Internal drive) which I control from my EX5 synth. Can the mlan replace the pure functionality of the Ultralite? (Control soft synths, playback sequences/audio and possible doing those functions simultaneously as well as assign multiple outputs) My live setup is MO8 on bottom with ES6 on top and to keep things clean would like to pop mlan into my ES6. I will be using bits and parts of Logic8/Reason4/Ableton8 and Mainstage as standalone and potentially some rewiring.

mLAN is a protocol for moving MIDI and audio data through a firewire cable. So your question is not really clear. mLAN does not ‘control soft synths, playback sequences...’ etc. it simply allows you to communicate control functions between devices. Sorry if this seems like semantic…

So your Motif ES can be used to control soft synths - this can be done with its extensive REMOTE mode (which happens to use either USB-MIDI or mLAN-MIDI as the multiple port communication vehicle).

mLAN will allow you to assign 16 audio output buses from your Motif ES via the mLAN16E to your computer. You can see these output assignment (even before you install the mLAN16E) by going to the following screen:
From [PERFORMANCE] mode, [SONG]/[MIXING] mode or [PATTERN]/[MIXING] modes:
Press [EDIT]
Press a Track Select button for the PART you want to assign
Press [F2] OUTPUT
Press [SF3] SELECT
Here you can assign each PART to an audio output (either as a mono or to an odd/even stereo pair of outputs).

The default is L/R but you will see that there are many options.
asL/R (are analog) 1/4” stereo pair output on the back panel
asL 1/4” mono output on the back panel
asR 1/4” mono output on the back panel
as1/2, as3/4, as5/6, as7/8, as9/10, as11/12, as13/14 are stereo pairs of mLAN outputs
as1 through as14 are mono version os the mLAN outputs

You can use mLAN in any mode (obviously) it is simply audio outputs and you have to have audio outputs in every mode.
So mLAN can be used in VOICE mode, PERFORMANCE mode, SONG mode, and PATTERN mode. Many misunderstand how it works in VOICE mode because the output in VOICE mode is simply Left and Right.

When the mLAN16E is installed in the Motif ES it becomes an audio and MIDI interface for your computer. The stereo A/D Input can be used to bring in any outside signals. You could, for example plug your MO into these jacks and from there on its signal would be in the digital domain and moved via mLAN. You could plug the stereo outputs of a mixer - allowing you to have multiple analog signals join your mLAN routing. This way you can combine several synthesizers, microphones, etc., etc. to your system.

You can run two sets of Monitor speakers from the Motif ES, as signal can be returned to the Motif ES via mLAN from your DAW software and routed the main Left and Right Outputs and/or to the Assignable Left and Right Outputs. It is possible to setup separate mixes in each (assuming your DAW has this capability).

The MIDI IN and MIDI OUT jack allow you to send MIDI into your computer and route MIDI data back out from the computer discreetly for an external keyboard or module connected.

The REMOTE mode on your ES can be used to control Logic, Cubase, Sonar or Digital Performer with arranged templates… Soft Synth parameter names will be shown in the screen of the ES so you can edit and use the front panel buttons, knobs and sliders to control your soft synths and your DAW. You can select, edit, and control soft synths. This is not unique to mLAN - but is possible because mLAN is able to communicate MIDI… the protocol for MIDI is the same whether it moves down a USB cable or down the firewire/mLAN cable. (the REMOTE mode does require either USB or mLAN MIDI because these are multiple PORT communication vehicles). i.e., You cannot use the REMOTE function via a standard 5-pin MIDI jack.

Sorry it is more than semantics… there is so much confusion about what is mLAN… it is audio (we all know what that is) it is MIDI (we all should know what that is). A single cable (should be simple) but alas.... many try and make it more complicated than it is… Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2009 @ 10:21 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

You can use mLAN in any mode (obviously) it is simply audio outputs and you have to have audio outputs in every mode. So mLAN can be used in VOICE mode, PERFORMANCE mode, SONG mode, and PATTERN mode. Many misunderstand how it works in VOICE mode because the output in VOICE mode is simply Left and Right.

Admittedly, all the work I do in Logic is via Song Mode, (for that matter 90% of the work I do on the XS, is in Song Mode 10% in voice mode), and I personally, never operate in Pattern Mode. But, I want to verify something when I get to my XS tomorrow because, I don’t recall the mLAN ports being present within Logic while in operating the XS in Voice Mode. My recollection of this may very well be wrong, but I should have framed my answer within the context of using Logic Pro 8…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 02:01 PM
Travolta
Total Posts:  20
Joined  08-15-2003

Awesome guys and a big thanks. I guess I could’ve been a little clearer on the MOTU controlling everything...What I was really asking is if i’m in Logic can i setup mlan as my audio source, fire up a soft synth and be able to play it real-time through my ES (via midi) and assign it to it’s own dedicated outputs. Have the option to split my ES on one side of the keyboard and the soft synth on the other through master controller zones or take advantage of mainstage to do both. I understand that i will need to setup all of this up on the ES side so that Logic will respond to this properly. Apologies if i’m not being clear here but i’m hoping to achieve the same (if not more) by adding mlan to my ES as opposed to going with something like a Novation X-station. I’m new with a computer live so just want to establish some basic functionality like above and also be able to launch sequences live that will all stay all within the realm of the mac. No need to drive ES sounds (yet...)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2009 @ 01:39 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Wow, my previous post from Sunday on this topic just disappeared- that’s interesting…

n Logic can i setup mlan as my audio source, fire up a soft synth and be able to play it real-time through my ES (via midi) and assign it to it’s own dedicated outputs.

Yes, of course you can but, the ES acts as your Audio Interface and you will be limited to the physical outputs of the ES (that is, the L/R and the two assignable outs).

Have the option to split my ES on one side of the keyboard and the soft synth on the other through master controller zones or take advantage of mainstage to do both. I understand that i will need to setup all of this up on the ES side so that Logic will respond to this properly.

I do not use Master mode at all but, I would think that this is possible. I can think of at least one way to make this happen but, i’ll defer to someone who knows more about this mode…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2009 @ 07:31 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
Travolta - 06 July 2009 02:01 PM

Have the option to split my ES on one side of the keyboard and the soft synth on the other through master controller zones or take advantage of mainstage to do both.

If you wish to use part of ES keyboard as a zone for controlling software synth, goto Master mode and press EDIT than Zone selection (assuming that you already turned on Zone switch in the
[F2] MEMORY display in the Master Play mode).
Now in zone that you want to be “soft synth” press [F1] TRANS (Transmit) and select MIDI channel of your soft synth (TransCh).
TGSwitch should be selected to off (you don’t want to trigger ES voices) and MIDISwitch should be selected to on since you want to trigger external MIDI device.

Alex

[ Ignore ]