mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need Help with MLAN16E, MOTIF ES, and LOGIC 8!"

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 11:37 AM
Estilos
Total Posts:  16
Joined  06-27-2009

Hello all,

I have a mlan equipped Motif ES6 and I am I trying to dump the audio from the patterns/songs that I have created on the Motif into Logic 8 via mlan - - with each track from the Motif song/pattern going to its own track in Logic.

I believe that I have everything set up correctly. First, here is a list of my equipment:

Motif ES6 with Mlan16E, OS 1.08, 512 MB Ram
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo, OS 10.4.11 (Tiger), 2 GB RAM
Mlan Tools 1.2.0 installed
Yamaha USB-Midi Driver v1.2.0
Logic Pro 8.0.0

I followed the setup instructions in the “A Motif ES, an MLAN16E, Emagic Logic Software and You” guide. I was able to follow everything through page 9. The instructions for the Motif portion of the setup seem to be clear, but instructions for the Logic settings (starting on page 10) do not seem to be clear and have me confused.

I’m looking for answers to the following:

- What do I need to do in Logic to set up to record, for example, 8 tracks simultaneously from mlan? Do I need to use audio tracks, external instrument tracks?  I really could use step-by-step instructions for this!!!
- I’m also trying to get the Remote Control (for transport functions) to work and I can’t seem to get that to work.  I’ve read some posts saying that the remote control does not work in OS X. Not sure if this is true or not. I followed the instructions in the guide (set the remote function on the ES to “Logic” and Port 4), but again, I’m not totally clear on the Logic settings.

FYI, here are the items that appear to be working so far:

- MIDI keyboard transmission seems to work fine. When I play Logic’s software instruments, midi is being received and I hear the software instrument sounds through the Motif outputs with no problem.
- I can play songs (projects) in Logic and hear all of the tracks through the Motif outputs.

Just wanted to mention that I’ve done a lot of searches before posting, but I can’t seem to find answers that apply directly to my setup.  I’ve found answers for the Motif XS (I have the ES), Logic 7 (I have 8), and PCs (I have a mac), and I’ve tried to piece the information together the best I could.  Unfortunately, some of my searches resulted in dead links since they pointed to the old Motifator site (which by the way, I enjoyed… miss the black/blue layout of the old site - - much easier on the eyes in my opinion – as well as the “Behind The Manual” and “Newbie Zone” areas, GREAT references that were EASY to find).

Lastly, some of the information I’ve come across in my searches refers to a “Logic Environment” for the Motif. I’ve found links to environments for the XS, but nothing for the ES. I’m totally lost in terms of what this “environment” does and how to implement it. If someone could provide an explanation and possibly refer me to where I could find one for the ES, I would certainly appreciate it. I’ve downloaded something called the “Motif ES Sequencer Kit for Cubase & Logic” from the old Motifmart site… not sure if this is the “environment” to use or not.

Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 05:50 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

but instructions for the Logic settings (starting on page 10) do not seem to be clear and have me confused.

Logic 8 is a major step forward in DAW’s as a whole and Logic, in particular. So alot of things that had to be done in previous versions of Logic are automated now. I’m not familiar with that particular setup guide so, I don’t know what may need to be undone as it relates to those instructions but, i’ll at least try an steer you in the right direction…

- What do I need to do in Logic to set up to record, for example, 8 tracks simultaneously from mlan? Do I need to use audio tracks, external instrument tracks?  I really could use step-by-step instructions for this!!!

Logic has three basic kinds of tracks. Software Instrument Tracks, External Instrument Tracks and Audio Tracks. MIDI is recorded on the first two tracks. Audio is recorded on the Audio Tracks. Software Instrument track however, can be bounced offline. External Instrument tracks must be recorded as audio in order to bounce. (There is an exception to this which I won’t get into now).

So, In Logic, you would create any combination of stereo and or mono Audio Tracks equaling 16. (I believe, the mLAN 16e handles 16 channels of audio… In the inspector of those tracks, you would set the I/O Input to correspond to the instrument setting in the ES. For instance, if you have drums on track 10 and want to record them on tracks 1&2;, in the ES, set the mLAN output for Track #10 to 1&2;and in Logic’s Inspector for Audio Track #1- set its input to 1&2;. Click, the Record button on the the track and you should see signal as you play it…

From reading the mLAN 16e manual, it appears the mLAN channel assignments are as follows: 1-14, L/R… (where L/R= inputs 15 & 16 in Logic).

There are several posts here and in the archive where I detail how to record External MIDI tracks into Logic…

- I’m also trying to get the Remote Control (for transport functions) to work and I can’t seem to get that to work.

If your mLAN driver was properly installed and setup, it appears in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. As a Core Audio Component, Logic will automatically choose it anytime that the ES is physically connected via firewire and set to operate via mLAN. Logic 8 will prompt you both to choose it as your Core Audio and will also prompt you that a Logic Control is now present. In order to properly control Logic, that control must be set to operate via the appropriate MIDI Port. In your case, I believe that is, Port#4. So, click on the Toolbar- Logic Pro>Preferences>Control Surfaces>Setup. Click on the Logic Control and it will reveal its current Port assignment. Change it to Port#4…

Image Attachments
Picture 3.pngPicture 2.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 11:34 PM
Estilos
Joined  06-27-2009

Motif8mine, thanks very much for your response! I will give your suggestions a try.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
Estilos
Joined  06-27-2009

Thanks to Motif8mine and all of the resources available online (motifator, 01xray) I’ve finally got my mlan system up and running. Definitely worth the set up time to be able to multitrack through the 1 firewire cable both audio and midi. Add in the control surface feature (which I finally got to work as well) and the Motif ES with mlan is a monster of a machine!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2010 @ 10:47 AM
wtbusiness
Total Posts:  86
Joined  12-09-2007

I have the environment set up.  It is in sync with my keyboard.  I does record midi, but the sounds are different.  How do I record my motif sounds and record midi at the same time.  I think that i need to change something in preferences.  I do have the mlan driver downloaded.  Is this all that i need?
I downloaded the environment from this site.

http://www.bienlein-music.de/Equipment/equipment.html

Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2010 @ 06:20 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Please do not cross post: I’ve responded to your other post…

[ Ignore ]