mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif ES splitting questions…"

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 05:16 PM
quicksilverXP
Total Posts:  5
Joined  06-24-2009

So I traded my Triton Extreme for a Motif ES6 because I started to get bored of the Triton sounds.  I DEFINITELY love the ES6 sounds, but for live performances, the Triton Extreme was perfect for setting up splits and layers across the sound source (Triton Extreme) and another midi controller (MAudio Axiom).

I’ve read the manual and dozens of posts… but man… the Yamaha interface is like learning an entirely new language.  For the most part, I understand that in order to play with a midi controller live, I’d have to use either Song or Pattern mode.  I’ve figured out how to do this already.  My only questions are regarding the the use of the controllers.

On my Triton I used to have some patches where I would manipulate the pitch of individual parts using the assignable knobs.  This was done by assigning the real-time controller knob to control pitch in Patch mode.... The rest of the patches that were setup in the combination, I could disable their use of the assignable knobs so the knobs wouldn’t change the sound of the other patches, only the one previously mentioned where I wanted to manipulate the pitch with the one knob.

Is this something I have to program through the individual voice settings on Voice Mode… or can I program this in the Master Mode or Song Mode?

I’m still getting my head around editing in Voice Mode… and how the use of the real-time controllers translate to actual use in Song Mode… and then Master Mode.

I’m gonna continue reading and tweaking… but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 08:18 PM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

I guarantee you’re going to get very frustrated, so just get ready for it.  Yes, it is like learning a new language, but the payoff is very good, so hang in there. There were many times I would leave a session screaming one or more of Carlin’s words you can’t say on TV. Or at least you couldn’t say them back then.

ANYWAY, I’m still new at it, but from my year of experience, I can tell you that Step One is to be fully comfortable with the Common Edit vs Element Edit in Voice Mode, how you get there, and what you can do with each, i.e., which paramaters are relegated to Common and which are Element, how you turn the elements on and off and how you edit them. It’s very easy to have a particular element sounding and be actually editing a different element which isn’t even on (!) but after a while it becomes second nature.

Keep the manual and data list by your side. I use the electronic version of the manual as well when I need to search on a topic.

Most recently I was trying to EQ a voice in a Song > Mixing that I felt was too boomy. I did it using the Voice > Common > MEQ OFS settings and it worked well. Common mode right, so it’s part of the Voice, being edited in Common Mode and all, right? The settings follow the voice when you use it in a Song > Mixing right? Wrong.

Oh gee, I thought I was editing a Voice. No, I’m editing a paramater that relates to the Voice only when it’s in Voice Mode. Well it would have been nice if it said that somewhere. Or relegate stuff that doesn’t follow the voice to a different level. Some parameters editied in Common Mode follows the voice into Song Mode, others don’t. F’ing stupid. Either apply Common edit globally or don’t, not some of both. You end up having to remember a ton of little crap like that and you lose it if you don’t work with the synth often enough, and then you end up losing precious time or inspiration just trying to get the damn thing to do what you want.

To get EQ’ing to follow the voice outside of Voice Mode, you have to do it at the Element level. I intuitively went looking for it in the element level when I realized it was not following the voice into a Mixing, very proud of myself for that not having to open up the manual. I must be starting to think like a Yamaha programmer.  HOORAY!

Ok, I can see why they did it; if you’re a low-level user that only pulls up one voice at a time on stage, it will work fine for you and be assignable to the knobs so it makes it easy to use that way.

I’m a c-code computer programming mechanical engineer BTW, (i.e., not an idiot) and program graphic user interfaces myself all the time, but the thing is still very infuriating. There really is no option but to slog through it and learn. Sigh.

I realize I haven’t told you anything about your original question and for that I apologize, but thought you might want to hear a few words from someone currently in the trenches.

All that ranting being said, I really like what the synth brings sonically and the feel of the keybed (ES8). The synth is infinitely malleable and I’ve had a couple of occasions where I was working with a sound and found myself thinking I was playing a real acoustic instrument. I flowed away with the sound for a moment and realized what was happening and BAM; holy crap that was amazing! It really felt like an acoustic instrument (I program aftertouch a lot, something the Yamaha programmers apparently forgot was part of the instrument). But the UI and file interface is deplorable. Wish I could work for Yamaha in that department or at least be a beta tester. I’d let ‘em have an earful. And someone should be boiled in oil for not having a polyphonic aftertouch instrument. The Motif would then be an astounding piece of work, expression-wise. I don’t plan on buying another Yamaha synth until they do a PolyAT instrument, but I’ll be first in line when it happens. Not holding by breath though.

>> Soapbox Mode off <<

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2009 @ 05:53 PM
quicksilverXP
Total Posts:  5
Joined  06-24-2009

Yeah I feel you.  I totally understand what you mean in that I will have to undergo incredible frustrations in dealing with the interfaces… but you’re right… the sounds are the best on the market so its probably all worth it in the end.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2009 @ 09:06 PM
midinut
Total Posts:  93
Joined  02-21-2009

I am going through virtually the same transition. I sold a Korg Karma (Triton Engine) and bought a used ES6. I am struggling through the manual and the DVD’s as we speak. It is frustrating but I’m sure will ultimately be well worth the payoff. I too agree that the soundset is WAY better than the Triton (though I do miss a few of the sounds). As a matter of fact, the kid that bought my Karma emailed me the other day asking how to split and layer sounds on the Karma. I remember the “Combi” button right next to the “Program” button but for the life of me couldn’t even remember how to do it (way too much “Yamaspeak” ingrained in my brain now).

It’ll be fine. Good luck and this place is the best resource out there!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ es6 performance octave change
Next Topic:

4 x Motif ES8 in performance ››