mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can’t download my patterns onto any flashdrive, es6"

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 02:04 AM
johnhawkk
Total Posts:  12
Joined  04-06-2009

I bought a one year old es6 from a dealer last november and i love it. Been a guitarist for years but am just learning to play keyboards.  Its a great instrument and as a songwriter,i wanted it to create songs and upload them into cubase. So i made the first section of a pattern and wanted to save it.  Long story short, i’v used 4 flash drives and nothing works.  I go through all the steps and at the end always get an error message.  ‘disk not ready’, ‘read only’, etc.  The one that got me the furthest is a sandisk cruzer and it looks like its taking the information but at the end i still get an error message.  I thought that maybe it did download but when i tried to upload it, nothing comes up.  On the download if i move the dial the message comes up ‘device working’ and it freezes up the unit and i have to shut it down.  I"v looked at the videos, the manual, you name it. Any ideas?  john

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 02:20 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Welcome.

The title is misleading, no downloading but SAVING.

How are you saving your patterns? As MIDI I hope?

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 03:09 AM
johnhawkk
Joined  04-06-2009

Sorry, saving.  I press JOB, then F6-pattern name, ENTER. then, PATTERN and MIXING, then STORE.  Then ENTER.  Then INC/YES.  Then FILE and turn the curser to USB.  then F2 and type to ‘ALL’.  Last i hit ENTER and that’s when the ‘error’ messages come up.  I"v tried inserting the flash drive at the beginning, at the end, everything.  As for ‘midi’ i don’t know, i just make a pattern and then try to save it.  i’m assuming its midi.  HELP!!!!  john

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 12:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Some drives have “U3” Copy Protection software on it. This Copy Protection stuff prevents the Motif ES from writing data to it.

So you should visit the manufacturer’s website and download the Copy Protection removal tool

I’m fairly sure your Flash Drive has this Copy Protection software on it.

How do I uninstall U3 software from my flash drive?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 02:42 PM
johnhawkk
Joined  04-06-2009

Thank you very much, this site is so helpfull!  Well, i ran the U3 removal program and then tried to save a pattern and it started saving. However it was reading off it looked like every bank/sound on the motif.  I just did a 2 part test pattern and then went through all the steps for the ‘save’ and when i hit ‘enter’ it just started saving everything.  so i hit ‘exit’ and stopped it.  could that be because on the ‘save’ page i hit ‘all’?  pretty complicated machine.  thanks, john

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 03:20 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

Not at all, it does what you say.
Save ALL = SAVE ALL
When in Pattern Mode, SAVE SMF = SAVE as MIDI (very small file).

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 03:27 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

It’s on page 132 of your manual.
If you don’t have one ..... I have it attached for you.

;JOOP!

File Attachments
motifese1.zip  (File Size: 7172KB - Downloads: 689)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 03:28 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

Also interesting ...... attached.

;JOOP!

File Attachments
motifese2.zip  (File Size: 697KB - Downloads: 414)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 08:04 PM
johnhawkk
Joined  04-06-2009

well guys, thanks again.  I did save it as an SMF and in the ‘file/save’ page i entered ‘1’ as a test name for the test pattern. It saved. But...... though i looked in the manuel (i have one) i couldn’t see how to play it once its loaded back in. I loaded it and it said ‘complete’ but then where do i go to play it?  so i took the stick to my computer and opened it and guess what?  It seems i’v saved the program ‘reality tv’ and not my 4 bar/2 part piano pattern at all!  I"m sorry for being such an idiot and taxing everyone’s patience here but there’s just some things i’m just not understanding.  Thank you all.  john

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 09:42 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

While you can save individual songs and patterns to a standard MIDI file, if you do so you are not saving all of the information associated with the song or pattern. Specifically, you will not save any of the mixing information (voice selections, effects routing, relative volumes, stereo pan positions, etc.) or pattern structure. It is much better to save an ALL PATTERN file as this will save all of the information associated with your pattern (actually of ALL PATTERNS) present in your Motif ES.

It might be even better to save an ALL file as this will save the entire internal state of the Motif ES. This could be important to ensure that all of the voices used in your pattern are present when you reload the pattern. (You can also ensure the presence of these voices by storing them as mixing voices and then saving an ALL PATTERN file - but that’s a topic for another time.)

While an ALL PATTERN or ALL file will be bigger than an individual standard MIDI file, these are typically no larger than ~1MB. Given the size of USB flash drives, this is really quite small.

Once you saved an ALL PATTERN (or ALL) file, you do have the choice to reload just a single pattern - simply specify a data [TYPE of PATTERN (rather than ALL PATTERN or ALL) in the [FILE]-->[F3] LOAD dialog. When loading a single pattern, you select the file to load the pattern from and then specify the pattern to load and the location to load it into.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 10:20 PM
johnhawkk
Joined  04-06-2009

Thanks brad, but once its loaded, what button do you push to play it?  I haven’t tried what you said yet, the ‘all’ or ‘all pattern’, but when i saved it as a midi file, i went back and loaded it and it loaded but that’s as far as i got.  i hit ‘play’and nothing happened and then i tried ‘pattern’ and ‘voice’ and ‘performance’ etc and nothing happened.  I know the pattern was loaded but i couldn’t seem to access it.  What i want to do is work on patterns, say section one and then save it. Later, load that up and continue working, say section two, save that and on and on until i have my patterns to chain together.  So i want to continue working where i left off.  It should be like load it, click on play and continue working on the song. How is that done?  I"m not lazy, ie, asking you guys, its just that short of reading the manual cover to cover, i don’t know what else to do.  I’ll say this, this forum has helped me more than any book or video, kudos to you guys!  john

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 10:50 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

John,

You really need to save your pattern as part of an ALL or ALL PATTERN file… as stated above, you will not have all of the data associated with your pattern if you save it as an SMF!

Once you reload the pattern you would simply go into pattern mode, select the pattern that you loaded your song into and start playing and editing it from there.

Brad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2009 @ 03:23 AM
johnhawkk
Joined  04-06-2009

Well i did it!  whooo hooo!  labeled it ‘A’ and when i loaded it l looked in ‘patterns’ and scrolled down to ‘a’ and there it was.  Now, one LAST question.  On this thread anyway, :).  I took the stick to my computer and opened cubase.  Hit ‘new project’ and that was it, it wouldn’t load. its sitting there in the ‘H’ drive. how do you upload your patten into cubase?  i made it using ‘all pattern’.  i’m assuming its midi but is it audio?  at any rate, i tried to load it as midi and as audio but nothing comes up.  cubase is probibly not that much different than sonor etc so any ideas?  if you’re preforming, its ok to leave songs in the stick and upload them at gigs, but as a producer/writer i need to load them into my DAW and go from there.  also if you can load a song into cubase will it come up per track or as one track, ie, if your pattern/song has say 16 tracks will all 16 show up separately so you can edit etc or will the song just come up as one track?  Sorry for the ignorance but you guys talked me through the first issue and this will take it to its conclusion.  Thanks, john

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2009 @ 03:31 AM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

CUBASE: File->Import->Midi, Midi->Dissolve Part.

If you don’t know the difference between Audio and Midi .... I give up.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2009 @ 05:01 AM
johnhawkk
Joined  04-06-2009

I do but honestly i’v never worked with midi before, as i said, i’m a guitarist and singer.  I didn’t know how the motif would store a file if you saved it as ‘all pattern’. for instance it could be a wave file etc. and if its all midi, then why do they give the option ‘smf’? redundant no?  all i know is i tried to open it in the two options that cubase gives, audio and midi and neither one worked, so i was thinking there must be some path in cubase that is needed to open it.  thanks for all your help.  john

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2009 @ 06:12 AM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

Storing as ALL file or ALL pattern is for internal use only,
or to exchange with another motif.
Storing as audio would make it very difficult to work further with it.
SMF == Standard Midi File.

If you follow the steps to import a midi file as above into Cubase
it simply works; it works for all of us all of the time.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance copy to Pattern, record Arp.
Next Topic:

master mode question ››