mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MO8 multi-timbral split midi channel question"

Posted on: June 19, 2009 @ 06:08 PM
wizzywizz
Total Posts:  47
Joined  06-19-2009

Dear All,

I recently bought myself a Yamaha MO8 (my first synth) and I am currently trying to figure out the manual. Could somebody please give me some pointers?

I want to create a combination of voices which I can select/ layer on top of each other by pressing some buttons and split these (zones?) over a different midi channels. Simple example:
First piece of music is only piano, but then I have to switch to piano with soft rock organ on top of it (organ is also transposed up 1 octave). I can layer voices in performance mode, but can’t seem to figure out how to send these layers to different midi channels so as to I can record my live performance and still be able to do some editting on the tracks in Cubase Studio 4. I’ve set-up the tracks to filter out midi channels which are not intended for the particular tracks (which works fine in song mode) with a local input transformer set to filter out channels unequal to the respective midi channel.

I read in the manual that one can set zones to different midi channels in song - master mode, but I can’t seem to get any sound when I do this.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Giljam

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2009 @ 11:02 PM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

May be Phil will have an answer for you about how to set up the machine.

In my own experience cubase has some problems with midi on different channels from the same device.

Seems like all the incoming notes would get recorded on any armed track.

You could dissolve the part later into separate tracks.

But you could do that in Cubase with cut and paste as far as remove all the bass notes from a part and paste it to a new track etc. if the mo is unable to do what you want.

I use piano roll and make a part small as possible time wise and drag a box around all the bass notes to highlight them and cut/copy the notes to use in a different part.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2009 @ 02:52 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The first thing you need to understand is, when Voice mode and Performance mode you are transmitting on only 1 MIDI channel. If you are playing a layer, then you are on 1 MIDI channel and there is no need to separate the MIDI data, at all. None. The same MIDI data is responsible for playing all the sounds in the layer. Period.

A track of any MIDI sequencer will record whatever data is coming in. The MIDI channel you set in Cubase for example, is the MIDI channel that the data will play back on. This is basic MIDI stuff. Cubase is one of the world’s leading music software, there is no issue with it recording MIDI data. (Only a misunderstanding, perhaps, of how MIDI works).

If you are transmitting to a MIDI sequencer on multiple MIDI channels, then you would set the receiving sequencer track to MIDI channel = “ANY”. What this does is allow each MIDI channels data to be recorded to this single track. If you would then like to separate the data by channel you can easily do so. This is basic MIDI - every note in MIDI has attached to it the MIDI channel it is on. So all the MIDI data can be recorded simultaneously… how you view it is simply a matter of how you would like to look at it. Separating MIDI data to separate Tracks is done for convenience when editing.

Now transmitting fromt the MO on multiple MIDI channels can only be done in MASTER mode - but if your goal is to play a layer, you do not need to be in Master mode to do this. A Layer, by definition, can be accomplished on a single MIDI channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2009 @ 04:13 AM
wizzywizz
Total Posts:  47
Joined  06-19-2009

Hallo there!

Thank you for the quick response and insights! I really appreciate this! I am aware of the “desolve parts” functions and the input transformer to seperate for instance the midi channels into different tracks in Cubase, but I am unable to program the MO8 to give me the four layers (zones? which the manual talks about), add layers while performing live and get this recorded correctly. I presume that the addition of a zone would normally not be recorded while playing live? So basically my question is, how can I create a set-up with which I can play piano first, add organs later (by the press of a button or even a footswitch) and for instance switch back to piano at the end a song all the while recording this (including the addition and later substraction of the extra organ layer) ??

Again, I am a newbie^2 in the synth world, so this impressive machinery is a bit overwhelming :-)

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Giljam

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Effecting Individual Sounds in a Performance
Next Topic:

What USB cable do I use? ››