mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Additive Synthesis & Motif ES (6)"

Posted on: June 07, 2009 @ 08:47 AM
Metheny
Total Posts:  142
Joined  12-02-2005

Hi,

Say I want to create a new synthesized sound when I know the frequencies I want in the sound (e.g. the fundamental, 3rd harmony, 6th, 10th, and more… (no specfic pattern)).
So I assume, and correct me if I’m wrong, that doing it by adding specific frequencies is not possible in the Motif ES.

What other preferrable option(s) do I have in order to achieve this sound?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2009 @ 10:26 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

You are confusing frequencies with relative harmonics and intervals I think. A frequency is a fixed number of cycles per second. The ‘fundamental’ will vary depending on which key you are playing, so although each ‘fundamental’ will have a frequency, this frequency it will vary from key to key, as will all the relative offsets to that frequency.

You can build a sound in this manner by creating a voice where each of the 4 elements is individually tuned, and then combine 4 versions of these voices (each one with a different set of element tunings) into a performance which will give you 16 individually tuned elements in total. P196 of the user manual provides you with a rundown of the various tuning options for each element. You can also adjust the relative amplitude of each element and assign some of them to controllers to make them a little more dynamic when you are playing if you so choose.

Further, you can use insert FX such as pitch shifting to generate frequencies automatically in DSP which have a slightly different tonal quality (and also do not use extra polyphony). You can also spend time with the EQ settings to tweak each layer even more.

Church/Hammond Organ voices often use a similar technique, with each layer or element being tuned to represent the various pipes that make up the sound (each pipe adds a new ‘harmonic’ to the overall sound). Technically you are not generating real harmonics using these techniques but the effect will be much the same for most purposes.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pattern Chain recording
Next Topic:

Motif ES Operating System. Need help ››