mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi - Sonar recording question"

Posted on: June 01, 2009 @ 11:41 AM
Kevin May
Total Posts:  15
Joined  01-11-2009

If I produce a song that has multiple tracks lets say 12, is there a way to record over to sonar all the tracks at once and have them be lined up just as they are on my MO or is it a track by track thing. I am not looking for someone to tell me “how” just if it is routinely done this way. I’m sure if it is possible it will take a lot of set-up and study for a midi newbie such as myself. I am using Sonar 3 producer, I have a copy os Sonar 4 but have not upgraded because I like 3 so well. I think I saw on another post that the MO will work with 4 but not 3? is this correct?

I have never recorded using midi directly to my PC, I have always just done it analog. If I could produce a song on my MO and dump the whole thing at once, it might make me jump over and start to figure it all out. Being a Saxophonist first, midi seems pretty complicated as far as syncing up my KB to my PC and getting them to communicate properly. I don’t really know the language.....Yet.....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2009 @ 06:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can simply save your SONG in the MO as a SMF (Standard MIDI File) to a USB drive, connect the USB drive to your computer and open the MIDI file in Sonar. That is by far the quickest and easiet way to move a sequence from one sequencer to another.

Record your SONG in the MO
Press [FILE]
Select FILE TYPE = SMF
Give the file a name and execute the save

This will create a Standard MIDI File (extension is .MID) this can be opened by almost any sequencer on the planet including Sonar 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 :)

MIDI is a standard language and the MO can work with most any one of them out there so whom ever told you that must not have the correct information.

The Standard MIDI File will transfer all your MIDI tracks to Sonar, in order to transfer the MIX (the Voices you selected and the settings like levels, pan positions, effects, etc.) you can do what is called a BULK DUMP

In Sonar you have a SYSX function. It is found under the VIEW heading. You can read up on how to use it in the Sonar HELP file.

Basically it lets you record the SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE Bulk data from an external device. You can then attach this information to the SONAR File and have it restore the settings to the MO when you open the Sonar File.

Set up the SYSX Function to receive a manual dump.
Then on your MO from SONG mode
Press [MIXING]
Press [JOB]
Press [F3] BULK
Press [ENTER] then [YES] to execute

This will send all the data concerning your MIX to the SYSX feature so you can attach it to the Sonar file.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2009 @ 07:37 PM
Kevin May
Joined  01-11-2009

Fantastic!  thanks Great reply!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2009 @ 07:43 PM
Kevin May
Joined  01-11-2009

Can I then save in sonar as a SMF file after editing and then load it back onto the MO with edits intact?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MO6 as a vst in ableton live
Next Topic:

AI4 upgrade path? ››