mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pitch adjustment to a vocal recording"

Posted on: May 19, 2009 @ 11:17 AM
bsd22
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-11-2009

Hi,
I am using the motif ES for recording some of the vocals in song mode.That is a sampling to a track.

But occasionally the singer has sung some of the notes out of pitch.That is sung flat or sharp here and there.

Is there a way I can adjust these notes to their correct value.Can you please tell me how??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2009 @ 05:21 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
bsd22 - 19 May 2009 11:17 AM

Hi,
I am using the motif ES for recording some of the vocals in song mode.That is a sampling to a track.

But occasionally the singer has sung some of the notes out of pitch.That is sung flat or sharp here and there.

Is there a way I can adjust these notes to their correct value.Can you please tell me how??

There are several possibilities, depending on your taste. As O know, you could do it easily in the newest Cubase 5, but with Yamaha’s Pitch Fix plug-in you could do it in any VST compatible DAW. I have attached short PDF and if you wish, you could find trial version at: http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/music_production_software/mp_21h/all/

Alex

File Attachments
PitchFix.pdf  (File Size: 559KB - Downloads: 933)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2009 @ 02:41 AM
bsd22
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-11-2009

Thankx for the reply.But can I do this by only using the motif ES and without the use of external software.

Is something like this possible by using the groove function on a particular track of my song?.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2009 @ 02:10 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008
bsd22 - 28 May 2009 02:41 AM

Thankx for the reply.But can I do this by only using the motif ES and without the use of external software.

Is something like this possible by using the groove function on a particular track of my song?.

Not the groove function, no. Technically, you could get creative by splitting the sampled vocal into sections which isolate the out of tune parts, assign all these sections to a drumkit voice and then tune just those sections that are out of tune before creating a MIDI track to then trigger the samples to rebuild the track. If there is just a little bit of tuning to do (a few cents) then you probably wouldn’t notice the timing changes, especially with some reverb on. For short sections you might be able to apply a hint of pitchbend just to nudge the vocal in the right direction, although this will affect the timing of the sample relative to everything else, and won’t be as accurate as proper fine tuning so I’d do this sparingly and only on sections where it won’t notice.

Practically, it would probably be better to get the vocalist to record several versions of the track, and if they really can’t get it in tune all the way through, create the best track you can by taking the best parts from those versions.

Double tracking vocals is also possible - you could experiment with that. Take 2 copies of the vocal, pan one towards the left, and one towards the right, and put one of them through a pitch shifter on the insert FX to make them slightly out of tune with each other. Adding a little (very short) delay to one of them, and perhaps a touch of chorus is also viable. Sometimes this will make little out of tune sections less noticeable although it’s best done with two seperate performances of the same track, rather than two copies of the same take.

In short, yes, it’s possible to sometimes fix occasionally slightly out of tune vocals on the ES alone, but it’s a fair amount of work and probably not something you’d do unless you really had no better way.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Transfer Midi To Cubase
Next Topic:

Looping ››