mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Effects on a recording sequence"

Posted on: May 12, 2009 @ 06:20 AM
bsd22
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-11-2009

Hi,
I am a newbee on the motif ES effects.However I have done many
recording and added the effects in the studio.
I however understand that the motif ES has the master,system and insertion effects.
The thing is I want to add a good reverb and chorus to CERTAIN tracks of my recording.

After reading some of the posts in the forum I believe you can add the effects in voice mode for each track by using the knob contols and then simply pull them on to the individual tracks by selecting
SONG->MIXING->EDIT->EFFECTS
but the problem is this way the effects are being applied to the entire song sequence and not to each track.
--------------------------------------------------

1) How do I add my effects to each INDIVIDUAL track
2) Can I just do this by using the knob controllers like in the voice mode. 

3) Also how is this dependent on the voice that I have selected
4) Do I have the option to switch between effects in individual tracks and effects on the entire song

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2009 @ 09:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

However I have done many recording and added the effects in the studio.

If you understand studio routing of effects then you will understand the routing in the Motif ES.

Here is the situation. VOICE mode is the equivalent of a single musician (playing alone at home).

The Sequencer setup is like the studio situation.

Let’s use SONG mode as an example, when the [SONG] button is pressed this is your 16-track recorder. When additionally you press the [MIXING] button you are looking at your mixing console and your individual musicians. Up to 16 musicians - each with their own channel

8 of the musicians can ‘bring’ any two effects from home… these are the Insertion Effects...For example: a guitar with a distortion and wah pedal, an organ with a Rotary Speaker and Amp Simulator. No one else uses these effects - they belong to the individual musician. The signal is “inserted” in line with the musicians signal and only that one musician uses these effects. (The guitar player does not share his stomp boxes with the bass player, never happen, it is the guitar players personal effect that he brought from home, ie, VOICE mode)

The Studio console has two AUX Sends… one to a communal Reverb and one to a communal Chorus (time delay effect). Each Channel on the console has a SEND AMOUNT control. So all musicians at this studio have a SEND to the Reverb, individual adjustable on the console. The RETURN is to the general Stereo Mix - just like a studio mixing console.

So while several of the PARTS of the MIXING setup can recall their Dual Insertion Effects from VOICE mode, all of the PARTS have two AUX SENDS to the REVERB and CHORUS processors. You can adjust the amount of send per channel.

For more on the Motif ES Effects please see our SUPPORT area:
Introducing Motif ES Effects

1) How do I add my effects to each INDIVIDUAL track

Each individual track has access to the REVERB SEND and CHORUS SEND
Press [MIXING]
Press [F4] EF SEND
Here you can see the Effect Sends for each PART

2) Can I just do this by using the knob controllers like in the voice mode.

Yes. 

3) Also how is this dependent on the voice that I have selected

As outlined above, the INSERTION EFFECTS are edited as part of the VOICE.
Press [MIXING]
Press [F5] VCE ED (Voice Edit)
This will drop you into full Voice Edit mode (without having to return to regular VOICE mode)… for any PART where the INSERTION EFFECT Switch is active you can fully edit the VOICE, changing even the INSERTION EFFECT that is assigned. You must then STORE this new version of the Voice to a special MIX VOICE location.

4) Do I have the option to switch between effects in individual tracks and effects on the entire song

Not easily… yes, of course you can but switching effect like it would be in any studio situation can be tricky… if there is enough time to make the change you can send System Exclusive messages to the unit to have it swap effects.

If you mean can you control the effects, when yes. Just like the real world analogy, the INSERTION EFFECTS are fully controllable by the individual musican - so the guitar player has full control over their stomp boxes - physical controllers assigned to manipulate the effects will work; the organ player can work the rotary speaker using standard physical controllers assigned to the task.

The SYSTEM Effects (those that are communal, aux send items) are not real time controllable… Just like in the real world all the musicians are sharing the studio’s reverb - no one musician is changing that effect in real time.

So that is a key difference between Insert effects and System effects. Insert effect are real time controllable. Of course you can change SEND amount to the SYSTEM Effect but not really manipulate its other parameters.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 12:24 PM
bsd22
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-11-2009

Thankx for the reply and fantastic support it has opened my eyes to a lot of new things and will save me some studio cost.

Can you please tell me about the master effect.Have noticed that some of the demo songs provided by Yamaha have the master effect button on.Is this normally used ?.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 01:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The MASTER EFFECT is applied overall - when using in SONG or PATTERN mode it is just before the Master EQ and Output (see page 180 of your Owner’s Manual for flow chart)

You can apply it to the entire mix and store it with that particular SONG setup or PATTERN setup.

From the “Introduction Motif ES Effects” article:

The Master Effects are “post” everything but the Master EQ. So they are applied to the overall System signal (stereo).
These are:
• Control Delay2 (stereo)
• LO-FI
• V-Distortion
• Isolator
• Dynamic Filter
• Slice
• Ring Modulator
• Multi-Band Compressor1

These are typically called “DJ"-type effects, for lack of a better term, because like a DJ would, they are applied to the entire recording. DJ’s are either playing back a record or CD that is a finished mix. So the effects that they add are always post, they cannot put a Dynamic Filter on just the snare drum, if you get my meaning, so “DJ-style effects”. These Effects are applied to the entire SYSTEM signal.

Don’t be afraid to use your imagination with these Master Effects – they are radical. Things like putting a Control Delay on the final hit of the song so that it repeats and fades…or using a frequency Isolator to roll out all the bass for a section of a song, then bringing it back in for dynamic impact…or wacky panning effects with the Slice algorithm where you can pan signal left and right in tempo with the groove.

Also on the normal side, you are given a powerful Multi-band Compressor for pumping up the frequency bands of the final mix. Awesome tools…experiment!!!

[ Ignore ]