mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS voice sound similiar to ES."

Posted on: May 08, 2009 @ 12:35 AM
gaggy87
Total Posts:  87
Joined  08-02-2006

Just saw some Motif XS videos on you tube..The synth leads, electric pianos and some of the other voices sound exactly like the ES..!! Maybe most of the preset voices are actually made up of 4 elements but with the provision to add another 4.. Went thru the demo songs as well, didn’t find much of a difference. So where does the difference in both these keys lie ? BTW, has anyone tried out the KORG M3 ? I’m planning to add another keyboard to my gear, any suggestions ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2009 @ 02:45 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Do not rely on the demo’s: the real machine under your fingers
is a revelation.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2009 @ 11:21 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Some of the Voices in XS are similar to the ES,but you are correct in the ability to “add” elements to the Presets then Save to a User Bank.

It is my guess that Yamaha kept some of the ES Voices as they did with the Classic to ES for whatever reasons. The good news is there are more Presets and, again, you have the luxury of making your own ‘tweaks’ to build up your User Banks to suit.

Demos “can” be deceiving,just as auditioning gear in the store. They do give you some perspective as to what the axe can do and how it “can” sound.
Just a thought......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2009 @ 07:41 PM
JeffB1963
Total Posts:  71
Joined  12-06-2007

I’ve thought about upgrading myself but have seen one or two posts around here from folks saying that the XS didn’t sound as good as the ES and they ended up swapping back!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2009 @ 05:21 AM
gaggy87
Joined  08-02-2006

Tht’s wht confused me..Its hard to digest that Yamaha has actually launched a keyboard inferior to the previous model..I’d still go thru some more posts before I come up to a conclusion..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2009 @ 07:09 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

You should both not be confused, nor wrongly informed.

I once compared the voices of the Motif Classic to the ES.
Several voices in the ES were new or simply better,
but .................... TO MY TASTE.

In that time 100’s of forum members still posted wonderful music made by a Motif Classic.

Recently I was able to compare the ES and the XS side by side.
I found the voices in the XS better than those in the ES,
but again, I found those XS voices suited better to my musical
plans, so I planned to buy an XS within some years (not now).

I’m certain that many of you would decide differently, because
of what you want to do with the synthesizer.
There are so many personal styles possible.
Never let your judgement depend solely on other peoples taste
or musical preferences.
A good shop will allow you to test and play for many hours.

Good luck!
;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2009 @ 10:12 AM
gaggy87
Joined  08-02-2006

I’d rather wait for YAMAHA to come up with a brand new keyboard, a keyboard that has a completely different sonic platform.And to be honest, neither do I have the inclination to sell my ES nor do I have the bucks to buy myself an XS..So waiting is the only choice i’ve got..HeHe..!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2009 @ 11:01 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

It’s rare,but I agree with “the Squirrel”. Much depends on what it is “you” want to do and what “you” want from your workstation.

That the ES “sounds” better than the XS is subjective. “Out of the box” acceptance of any of the Motif family of keyboards is a gross under use of the axe. When I got my ES, I converted my favorite Voices from the Classic that weren’t included to the ES as User Voices. Some needed further tweaking because under the hood of the ES there were improvements to the workstation itself that made those “familiar” Voice sound a bit different. Others “sounded” better;again, subjective.

In the end it still boils down to what “you” want. Though I have an ES, I’m still going to get the XS for “my own” reasons. Voices aren’t among the issues I want to address with the change,although I have auditioned the XS and “have” found Voices that would like to have available for whatever reason. Editing capabilities in both (the Classic as well) are a feature that, if you take the time and have the patiance, “can’t be useful in getting the Voices you want. I’m not DaveP or “Bad 1”,but have learned to make certain adjustments to existing Voices that have served how “I” use the ES to my satisfaction. With 8 Elements available in the XS for Voice construction and editing,there would appear to be more than enough possibilities to creat what you want,but that’s just how “I” think.

The Voice aspect of the XS is but “1” of the factors in your choice. It is in mine. Audition the XS and check out the Demo Videos available to “see” just what it “can” do and see if what it has to offer satisfies what you “want” to do.
Just a thought......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 11:42 AM
miket156
Total Posts:  148
Joined  06-28-2004

I wouldn’t judge the sound of ANY KB from what you hear on a U-Tube demo or even a demo that is done at NAMM if the audio is being recorded on a video camera. Not going to be high quality, the sound will be of poor fidelity. I have an ES8 and its a great sounding KB, I tried the XS, and the piano, as well as the string sounds are more to my liking than on my ES8, but I didn’t run right out and buy an XS. Not because I don’t think its “better”, I just can’t afford one right now. I have no choice but to wait, possibly for the next model Motif series. My only fear is that Yamaha might eliminate the sampler, and at that point I won’t buy another Motif. I need the sampler, at least sample playback capability at minimum. But I do prefer a REAL sampler that I can slice sounds and come up with interesting stuff!

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2009 @ 01:59 AM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004

Everyone always waiting for the new board coming out when no one has used any of these boards at their full potential, myself included.

If the TR61 was made in the 80s that board would have been the shiznet!  Just my $.02

[ Ignore ]