mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Computer Requirements"

Posted on: April 27, 2009 @ 12:11 PM
Johnny-Boy
Total Posts:  963
Joined  06-07-2006

Wondering if the Dell Inspiron is sufficient to run Sonar 8, Garritan Orchestra, etc...?

Thanks for your help! Best, John

Here’s the specs:

“Dell Inspiron 530”

Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus – The business bonus states it will come loaded with Windows XP – with Vista software to install if I so desire. Price $883

My Components
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus (comes loaded with Windows XP)

MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢

OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

MONITORS 20 inch S2009WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor

VIDEO CARD Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 05:59 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
Johnny-Boy - 27 April 2009 12:11 PM

Wondering if the Dell Inspiron is sufficient to run Sonar 8, Garritan Orchestra, etc...?

Here’s the specs:

“Dell Inspiron 530”

Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus – The business bonus states it will come loaded with Windows XP – with Vista software to install if I so desire. Price $883

My Components

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus (comes loaded with Windows XP)

Nice configuration, John! I’m using Acer running at 1.6MHz with 1Gb RAM and 320Gb hdd (external, bootable). Since I tried to mix in Cubase 16 audio tracks with some effects and without pops and noise, you could expect that your configuration will work smoothly. Only you should be aware that if you have plug-in boards software for them would not run under Vista but XP only.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 10:05 AM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006
nbadesign - 28 April 2009 05:59 AM
Johnny-Boy - 27 April 2009 12:11 PM

Here’s the specs:

“Dell Inspiron 530”

My Components

Nice configuration, John! I’m using Acer running at 1.6MHz with 1Gb RAM and 320Gb hdd (external, bootable). Since I tried to mix in Cubase 16 audio tracks with some effects and without pops and noise, you could expect that your configuration will work smoothly. Only you should be aware that if you have plug-in boards software for them would not run under Vista but XP only.

Alex

Hi Nbadesign, I’ve re-thought my DAW because of all the info I gathered in the last two weeks. I decided on Mac Pro and Digital Performer. I’m going to see a business tomorrow that specializes in putting together DAW’s for customers.

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2009 @ 08:14 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007
Johnny-Boy - 28 April 2009 10:05 AM

Hi Nbadesign, I’ve re-thought my DAW because of all the info I gathered in the last two weeks. I decided on Mac Pro and Digital Performer. I’m going to see a business tomorrow that specializes in putting together DAW’s for customers.

Best, John

John,

Don’t forget to buy a good audio/midi interface with ASIO drivers. Internal sound card in laptop’s could not be used for music production and playing with external MIDI instruments due to the high latency.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2009 @ 01:00 PM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

John,

Don’t forget to buy a good audio/midi interface with ASIO drivers. Internal sound card in laptop’s could not be used for music production and playing with external MIDI instruments due to the high latency.Alex

Alex, I’m purchasing this IMac (24-inch: 2.66GHz) http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?afid=p202|MSUSe4514659&cid=OAS-US-KWM-CPUiMac-US & Logic Studio 8 software on Saturday, but I still haven’t decided on a MIDI interface. I’m looking for a good quality MIDI interface.

Any suggestions Alex in the $300-$400 range?

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2009 @ 03:05 PM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Hi John,

I see you are moved from the song forum to the ES forum.

You know I am a mLAN fan, because I love to record in audio tracks and midi tracks in the same project. Therefore mLAN is the way to go. LOGIC STUDIO? What happens with SONAR 8?

I suppose LOGIC is not worser or better than Cubase 5. So you can work with audio tracks as well as with midi tracks in LOGIC to.

The question is how do you want to work. Only with midi tracks and play those midi tracks via your ES8 tone generator. No problem when you use your USB connection from the ES8 to your Mac. and set everything properly in LOGIC. You can play 16 tracks at the same time with the ES8 in song/mix mode, using the ES editor and studio manager setup.

I think it is important for yourself to determine first, how you want to work with the ES8 and LOGIC DAW.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2009 @ 03:27 PM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006
jan bruijn - 01 May 2009 03:05 PM

Hi John,

I see you are moved from the song forum to the ES forum.

You know I am a mLAN fan, because I love to record in audio tracks and midi tracks in the same project. Therefore mLAN is the way to go. LOGIC STUDIO? What happens with SONAR 8?

I suppose LOGIC is not worser or better than Cubase 5. So you can work with audio tracks as well as with midi tracks in LOGIC to.

The question is how do you want to work. Only with midi tracks and play those midi tracks via your ES8 tone generator. No problem when you use your USB connection from the ES8 to your Mac. and set everything properly in LOGIC. You can play 16 tracks at the same time with the ES8 in song/mix mode, using the ES editor and studio manager setup.

I think it is important for yourself to determine first, how you want to work with the ES8 and LOGIC DAW.

Jan

Hi Jan!

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about the “Big Five” in DAW’s for sometime (Sonar, Digital Performer, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase). They all look good to me.

I have a local friend that can help me one-on-one with Logic. I’ve also seen & heard Logic in action. As far as DAWs, it’s almost like flipping a coin with me. They’re all good!

Anyway, I’ll be purchasing a Mac and Logic Studio 8 tomorrow. I wanted to know if I could play one track at a time into Logic just by simply connecting via the USB ports. I see I can!

This will only be a starting point for me. Once I become familiar with the Mac & Logic, I’ll consider mLan and other possibilities.

Thanks for replying so quickly Jan.

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2009 @ 05:51 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007
Johnny-Boy - 30 April 2009 01:00 PM

John,

Don’t forget to buy a good audio/midi interface with ASIO drivers. Internal sound card in laptop’s could not be used for music production and playing with external MIDI instruments due to the high latency.Alex

Alex, I’m purchasing this IMac (24-inch: 2.66GHz) http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?afid=p202|MSUSe4514659&cid=OAS-US-KWM-CPUiMac-US & Logic Studio 8 software on Saturday, but I still haven’t decided on a MIDI interface. I’m looking for a good quality MIDI interface.

Any suggestions Alex in the $300-$400 range?

Best, John

You should check MOTU’s Ultralite-mk3. It uses Firewire for computer connection and acts as both audio and MIDI interface. It’s also a 14-bus digital mixer, complete with EQ, compression and reverb. See at: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ ES as an Effects Processor
Next Topic:

Aftertouch component ››