mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mlan: yes of no?"

Posted on: April 26, 2009 @ 12:00 PM
jgeers01
Total Posts:  5
Joined  04-26-2009

I own an S90ES for some time now and consider to buy an mlan board to use it within Nuendo 4. I heard so many different stories about the stability of mlan and am curious if the latest drivers are working properly in Nuendo/Cubase. Can it also be used together with my M-audio 2496 USB soundcard?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2009 @ 01:00 PM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

I purchased an mLAN card for use with my ES8 and Cubase AI4 a few months ago. I haven’t had any issues with it other than the mild learning curve.

On the midi side, it works great.

On the audio side, it would be better (for me anyway) if it were running to a mixer with an mLAN card like the Yamaha 01X. The mLAN setup in the stand-alone setup requires you use the audio hardware in the card as your audio interface. It’s a good one so the quality’s there. But what that means is, your synthesizer becomes the audio card, and the audio out to your system are the main L and R outputs of your synthesizer. The total system volume is controlled by the master Volume slider on the synth. To get external audio into the mLAN system, you must use the stereo A/D input jacks on the synth.

Before I bought the mLAN, I was using all my hardware synths in a mixer which then was sent to powered speakers. Now, the mixer goes into the ES8, and the overall mix is controlled by the A/D input level on the ES8, combined with the hardware mixer output level, and the volume of the individual Parts in a Mix. It’s a different signal path that takes some getting used to. It’s a bit restrictive and finicky compared to my previous setup, IMHO.

On the plus side though, it has decreased both midi and audio latency substantially so that’s a good thing. Also, the individual audio channel assignments internal to the synth in a Mix are much more flexible with Cubase, but I’m still using it mostly on the midi side for now.

Would I buy it again? Yes, but it would have been nice to understand the audio input/output scenario a little better going in. Again, if I were using an mLAN equipped mixer, it would be a much more intuitive, normal/traditional setup, but that’s just me.

I haven’t had any stability issues. It did lock up once, but as I recall, I was doing something weird and wasn’t suprised when it did lock up. Other than that one instance, no problems.

If you have audio going into the M-Audio card you want to use with the mLAN equipped system, then the output of the card must be physically inserted into the mLAN audio path using the A/D input jacks on the back of your synth. You can’t get get a USB audio signal onto the mLAN bus data stream. It’s two different protocols. It has to be wires (or an audio device with another mLAN card). If your M-Audio card doesn’t have a hardware output you can plug into the synthesizer, you can’t use it on the mLAN bus.

The hardest part for me was trying to find one for sale. It took weeks of searching, then suddenly there were (3) on eBay. Hmph.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2009 @ 05:11 PM
jgeers01
Joined  04-26-2009

Thanks for your reply, it makes a lot clear to me. The S90ES has a stereo input so I think it is ok to treat it as a soundcard. Do you also work under XP?

How many tracks can be transferred simultaneously? And is it possible to use the S90 built in fx within Nuendo/Cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2009 @ 08:23 AM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

Yes, I use Windows XP Home version.

You can use the effects within the synthesizer as you would with any external input, so yes, you can use them when you route something through the m-Audio card that is connected to the A/D input.

With the ES8 there are 16 audio channels on the mLAN bus, but 2 channels are taken up as the audio outs to the speakers, so you really only have 14 channels available to work with. Each side of a stereo input takes up one channel, so any stereo input consumes 2 channels.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2009 @ 09:24 AM
jgeers01
Joined  04-26-2009

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

Did you also pre-define external instruments within Nuendo? I suppose that could be handy since audio and midi are bundled in one track…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 05:55 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
jgeers01 - 26 April 2009 05:11 PM

Thanks for your reply, it makes a lot clear to me. The S90ES has a stereo input so I think it is ok to treat it as a soundcard. Do you also work under XP?

I would recomend you to use XP Pro with SP2 (preinstalled, don’t add SP2 on XP with SP1 since behaviour is not the same!!), also if you have plans to use plug-in boards with S90ES.
And, one problem with mLAN is that you could not find it now, maybe only at some local store (I’m also looking to find it!!!).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 07:32 AM
jgeers01
Joined  04-26-2009
nbadesign - 28 April 2009 05:55 AM

I would recomend you to use XP Pro with SP2 (preinstalled, don’t add SP2 on XP with SP1 since behaviour is not the same!!), also if you have plans to use plug-in boards with S90ES.

I have but good tip, thanks!

And, one problem with mLAN is that you could not find it now, maybe only at some local store (I’m also looking to find it!!!).

So I heard, I hope to find one soon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 08:40 AM
Mark Andrews
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-28-2009

I have Mlan in my ES8 and as of last week stopped using it.

If I could use it alongside my Audio interface in the same way as the Virus TI that would be cool.

But the fact it makes my MOTU redundant is a pain as I need all the inputs for my other synths

Will more than likely sell it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 11:02 AM
jgeers01
Joined  04-26-2009
Mark Andrews - 28 April 2009 08:40 AM

If I could use it alongside my Audio interface in the same way as the Virus TI that would be cool.

Interesting point Mark. How difficult is it to switch temporarily to the mlan setup, receive its material digitally and switch back to your main card?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 12:02 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

I would suggest that those of you who are having trouble “finding” an mLan card might check the MotifMart on the site.mLan cards are available here.

We have this site available to us for “Free"with all this support for the gear and software. I’ll admitt that you “might” be able to beat the price elseware,but the contribution would be helpful in seeing that this site is maintained.

Keyfax also provides mLancentral.com. It is a great place to get some of the specifics on mLan and its use (haven’t figured out how to add links on this new format yet,but you can just type it in).

I appreciate all of the commentary on this particular thread. The one problem that I see common in this and other postings is the combining of different protocals and equipment with mLan. For what I think a couple of you guys your problem would require some sort of “link” between your source and your software via mLan. This would be a Mixer of some kind that is equipt with mLan. I have an ES that is linked to an 01V96 to a firewire in the computer to the Software (Cubase). So far it hasn’t been necessary,but should I choose to use some other keyboard like a DX7, I can go directly to the Inserts of the board,route to the mLan into the software. That’s simple. That was my plan. But since you want to incorporate other gear that isn’t based in mLan, you will have to be as creative with the connections to your software as you were in creating the projects.

All of this equipment,hardware and software,have their own virtues but also have their own identity and processes. It’s “the way of things”. Sometimes you will get instant access to it all,and sometimes it rains. The good news is there “are” ways of getting them all to “talk to each other” even if you have to call in an “interpreter”...most of the time. Then again,sometimes you will have to “switch around” as was suggested to get to your end.

Again,the good news is this site will help as there are so many approaches to your end product and many of them meet “here”.
Just a thought......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2009 @ 08:22 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
TheDukester - 28 April 2009 12:02 PM

I would suggest that those of you who are having trouble “finding” an mLan card might check the MotifMart on the site.mLan cards are available here.

Duke,

I’m using MotifMart a lot and had a plan to buy mLAN, but unfortunatelly, they said to me that they sell the last one few weeks ago. So, for all of us that would buy mLAN for ES (S90ES, Rack ES) it will be very difficult, since Yamaha discontinuous production. I was told that only possibility is to find at at some local store if they has it on a stock.

Alex

P.S. Anyone who find mLAN (new, not on e-Bay!) share this info, pls.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Expression control in the pattern mode
Next Topic:

Mod wheel triggering arpegio HELP needed ››