mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do I record Motif’s XS Patterns into Logic?"

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 03:33 PM
alwaysuptil1
Total Posts:  137
Joined  02-07-2009

I asked this on the main forum and after a few back and forths was told to redirect my question to this forum.

I love to use pattern mode on the motif to build melodies, use scenes, etc… From this point I’d like to be able to hit record in Logic and Play on the Motif and have Logic record my incoming Midi messages live and in sync.

Gear: Motif XS6, MacBook Pro, Logic Express.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 05:15 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok course you want to set the XS to operate with Logic- Utility>F5 Control)>SF1 (Remote): change to Logic. Press SF2 (I am assuming you are connected via USB); set MIDI Interface to USB Mode.

In the ‘Quick Setup’ screen, option #2 is to record the internal sequencer to computer and that is the setting to record patterns. Set Logic to the proper tempo: press ‘T’ and adjust as necessary…

From the Logic toolbar, set it as follows:

Settings>Synchronization>General>Sync Mode=Internal
Settings>Synchronization>MIDI>Transmit MIDI Clock- check the box for Destination 1 and choose your output XS USB Port 1 (depending on how you setup the driver, it’s name will be different. It’s OK to select ‘All’ there as well… Check Transmit ‘MTC’ and Transmit ‘MMC’…

Open External instrument tracks containing the same MIDI channels as what you will be recording and record enable them. If you have Logic setup to select XS instrument voice names, do that as well.

CORRECTION: this should have read, “Open External MIDI Tracks”, External Instrument tracks are a different animal- see below

I believe you already know to set the Auto Demix by Channel setting (Found @ Settings>Recording>MIDI and check ‘Auto Demix by Channel, if Multitrack Recording’) so, hit record (Press ‘R’) and Logic will also start the XS transport. And you’re off… When you press stop the recorded MIDI regions will appear…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 06:34 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

This is the reply I’ve been hoping to get and I can’t thank you enough.  I had experimented with as many options as I thought I could and almost had it right, but had not checked Transmit MTC and Transmit MMC.  That was the main error of my ways but the clarity that you lay it out there is truly priceless and exactly the solution.  I hope you’re writing an how to manual or recording a DVD tutorial.  I know I’d buy it.

It all worked. I’m still trying to make Logic not change the voices at the beginning.  And I don’t know why, but when it’s recording all the midi info, it does it all on 1 channel, then splits it all up after you hit stop.  I know you’ve covered this somewhere in your previous posts and it doesn’t matter what it looks like going into Logic as long as it splits the info into all the right channels when you hit stop, and it does.

Any hope of a book or DVD tutorial we newbies could get our hands on?

BTW, are all those XXXXXXX’s on the record track MTC notes?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 11:25 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

BTW, are all those XXXXXXX’s on the record track MTC notes?

Without seeing them I can’t say for sure but you can see them in the event editor. They are most likely system exclusive messages and probably are the result of either: 1) an improperly installed driver or, 2) not selecting the proper port from within Logic.

One way to verify is to open your AMS (Audio MIDI Setup), and remove the name of the Yamaha USB Driver: (see pic). When you do this, the Logic Library should begin to reflect the Port names as in the pic. Port #1 is the port to use to transmit / receive MIDI In /Out between the XS and Logic; Port #2 for remote control of Logic (DAW’s); Port#3 is for MIDI Thru (will be outputted at the XS’s MIDI Out; Port #4 is for communicating with Studio Manager…

EDITED 04/15/09 - 9pm

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv233/motif8mine/Picture3.png

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 03:00 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

I’m ready to remove the name of the Yamaha driver but would love to see the pic(s) you’re referring to.  I don’t think they came through in your last post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 03:28 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

LESSONS LEARNED:

Okay, so in poking around the internet there’s a few discoveries I’d like to point out for the archives and have you (with your incredible knowledge), confirm them for me. 

1) After Recording in the manner you’ve described above, one must change the sequencer setup back to Quick Setup 3 in order to listen back to what you’ve recorded. Otherwise the MMC will trigger both Logic’s sequencer and the Motif’s Sequencer at the same time and it will sound jumbled and screwed up.

2) Try recording at a decent or slower Tempo.  The faster the tempo, the less time the sequencer has to cram all those notes into an accurate recording.  You can crank it back up to it’s original Tempo once it’s in Logic.

3) The timing isn’t exact.  After recording from the Motif’s Sequencer, some minor timing tweaks will have to be made in order to line it all up the way it is in the Motif. Nothing major, but in recording quantized notes from the Motif to Logic, I found that they were still off and not by an equal amount.  Some were right on the note while others were off a bit.  I would say this is due to MTC syncing not being a dead lock of zeros & ones, but that’s just a guess.

4) Finally, about the XX’s:  I looked on the YamahaSynth.com page and typed in the word “Logic” under the XS FAQ page and found this:

Q2-7: What MIDI settings are required for MIDI sequencing software connected via USB?

• Apple Logic Pro 8
1. Select “Environment” from the “Window” menu.
2. Select the “Click & Ports” layer from the pull-down menu.
3. Delete the connection between the “SUM” and “Input Notes” objects of the “”Physical Input” object.
4. Connect “YAMAHA MOTIF XS6 Port 1” and “YAMAHA MOTIF XS6 Port 3” of the “Physical Input” object to “Input Notes”.
(Refer to the software owner’s manual for details.)
* To make the same settings in other sequencing applications, refer to the appropriate software owner’s manual.

For some reason, after following these instructions, I tried to record again as you’ve described above and got no XXXXX’s.  So you were correct in it being Sys ex and transmitted via the Motif’s 2nd Port.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 07:43 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

1) Yes… after recording you want to stop slaving the XS’ sequencer…

2) I think this is more of an issue when a given number of notes fall exactly on the same beat… but, i can’t hurt…

3) The resolution of Logic’s Sequencer is higher / different from that of the XS and as such thing may have a slightly different feel, particularly when transferring Logic 8 to the XS…

4) This is a stop gap measure. I’ve never touched that parameter when I connect via USB or MLAN. But then, I also am not using anyone else’s environment. Properly setup, this should not be necessary. But a workaround is good if it achieves the same thing…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2009 @ 04:09 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

Still would like to see the pix of your AMS to see if I have that right.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2009 @ 05:20 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I edited my previous post and inserted a link with it: here it is again…

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv233/motif8mine/Picture3.png

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2011 @ 08:15 PM
mikeymotif
Total Posts:  7
Joined  07-24-2008

I have been searching for this info for a long time. Major props goes out to you. 90% of the time it’s about not knowing what you don’t know. Then you need to look for it.

I am finally able to get my MIDI tracks in Logic Exp. Love it. Great!

Now, how do I take this a step further and get each of these tracks converted to audio for future editing (effects and whatnot)?

The ‘bounce in place’ thing does not work and I’m not ready to do a complete bounce down to .mp3 of everything because I still want to edit the tracks.

So, questions are:

- How to convert/bounce each MIDI track to audio? Can I?
- Do I use the same setup that you have described in this post? (XS6 USB>Logic)
- Some have posted that this can be done using the Motif USB>Logic to record MIDI AND motif>m-audio>logic to record the audio. Is this legit? How is this done?

I am a step-by-step guy. So this post worked wonders.

I have:

Motif XS6
Macbook Pro OS X
m-audio fast track pro

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 01:31 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

First, I really appreciate your having researched the issue before posting. That seems to be rare of late...

How to convert/bounce each MIDI track to audio? Can I?

Well, there’s that word ‘each’. And, without knowing exactly what you mean by it. Let’s start here. First, external MIDI tracks cannot be bounced within Logic. The external MIDI tracks trigger the XS tone generator but, your fast track pro is necessary to route the XS’ audio into Logic. Without mLAN or an FW16E on your XS, You can either:

1) Record the MIDI performances onto Audio tracks via the Fast Track Pro Audio Interface, mix and bounce. I’m referring to the stereo audio output of the XS (the entire XS performance- all sequencer tracks) onto a stereo audio track within Logic. Or,

2) Record individual XS tracks onto audio tracks within Logic as either mono or stereo tracks so that you can further ‘treat’ each individual track with Logic’s effects, etc… and then bounce as above… You do this by either soloing the XS track(s) you wish to record or, muting those that you do not… Or,

3) Create External Instrument Tracks instead of External MIDI Tracks, port them to the XS and mix and bounce in realtime… This is similar to #1 with the folowing exceptions, you do not need to record as audio first. However, offline bouncing cannot be utilized with External Instrument Tracks. Logic effects can be used and bounced with the tracks. And, since no audio is recorded into Logic prior to the bounce, if the XS is not connected and triggered by MIDI, no XS audio will be heard within Logic using this option…

Now, please forgive a little clarification of Logic Track Types are:
1) Audio Tracks: self-explanatory- recorded regions are blue in color… (Can be bounced off-line)

2) Software Instrument Tracks: utilize Logic’s internal Virtual Instruments… (Can be bounced off-line)

3) External MIDI Tracks: ports MIDI to / from external devices (synths, tone generators, etc)- MIDI contains no Audio, it triggers a Synths Tone Generator which produces audio, as such it cannot be bounced… Audio must be routed back into Logic via Audio Interface… The output of that Audio Interface must be routed to Logic’s input bus and recorded onto Audio tracks before it can be bounced…
(As this track processes MIDI Only, the only effects available on the channel strip are MIDI-based...) Default color for recorded MIDI regions is green.

4) External Instruments Tracks: Really a software instrument track with the added bonus porting MIDI to external devices. The Audio Output of those devices is routed back to the External Instrument Track, (via Audio Interface or mLAN), where it can be recorded as Audio, bounced in realtime, (no offline bouncing), and can be processed by Logic effects, etc… Link To Post On External Instrument Track In Logic...

Do I use the same setup that you have described in this post? (XS6 USB>Logic)

This particular post addresses recording Patterns only. The XS would still be connected via USB however, assuming you have already, recorded the patterns into Logic, the external MIDI tracks will simply trigger the XS’ tone generator now, so you would use QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #3 = Recording on Computer.

Some have posted that this can be done using the Motif USB>Logic to record MIDI AND motif>m-audio>logic to record the audio. Is this legit?

That’s exactly how it’s done. I’ll post in a minute…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 01:50 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
mikeymotif - 12 August 2011 08:15 PM

- Some have posted that this can be done using the Motif USB>Logic to record MIDI AND motif>m-audio>logic to record the audio. Is this legit? How is this done?

See is this helps
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2011 @ 07:34 PM
mikeymotif
Joined  07-24-2008

Well, I wish I can say that I understand more now, but unfortunately I’m still stuck and a bit more confused.

I’m still at the point of having 16 tracks of MIDI in Logic (see attached photo) of a pattern that was created on the XS, then recorded using your explanation on patterns in this post. I have many patterns that I would like to get into Logic, but I need to add effects to them as stated earlier.

I have several questions (some clarifying and some “can I do it this way, how” - type).

1) Record the MIDI performances onto Audio tracks via the Fast Track Pro Audio Interface, mix and bounce. I’m referring to the stereo audio output of the XS (the entire XS performance- all sequencer tracks) onto a stereo audio track within Logic. Or,

2) Record individual XS tracks onto audio tracks within Logic as either mono or stereo tracks so that you can further ‘treat’ each individual track with Logic’s effects, etc… and then bounce as above… You do this by either soloing the XS track(s) you wish to record or, muting those that you do not… Or,

3) Create External Instrument Tracks instead of External MIDI Tracks, port them to the XS and mix and bounce in realtime… This is similar to #1 with the folowing exceptions, you do not need to record as audio first. However, offline bouncing cannot be utilized with External Instrument Tracks. Logic effects can be used and bounced with the tracks. And, since no audio is recorded into Logic prior to the bounce, if the XS is not connected and triggered by MIDI, no XS audio will be heard within Logic using this option…

#1 I don’t want to do because I need to add effects to individual instruments. If I understand this correctly, this would record to a single track and any effect would affect the entire track (all instruments)

#2 I like this idea. A bit more time consuming (but not a big deal). Problem for me is that I use patterns in such a way that my “muting” of tracks in the XS is queued by other sounds on different tracks. For example, I record a lot of ambient type music. I use patterns to build onto currently “unmuted” sounds. Plays for 4 bars or so, then I add (unmute) a new sound. Climax the song, then work back down and fade. Without hearing what’s going on I’m lost. Different than in song mode because there you play the entire song from beginning to end. Easier to hit record and get each track recorded in Logic.

#3 makes sense, and I like it. I can accomplish what I need (effects) and still get my patterns (16 tracks) into Logic (16 tracks). Mix and be done. Stumped on how though.

Right now I have the patterns setup you described. XS UBS>Logic. I get all tracks into Logic (attached file). I completely get how the XS generates the tones. Disconnect the XS and I get nothing because the XS is providing the sounds.

In addition to this, I also connected my L/R outs of the XS to my fast track pro, then FTPro>Logic. I don’t think this is correct. I don’t hear any audio period. THought this was how to record both audio and MIDI to these tracks in Logic.

Enough. I’m running out of characters in this post.

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2011-08-15 at 2.43.20 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 05:43 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

First, I would think that you would record to Logic after you have arreanged the song as you would like in pattern mode of the XS. Once that is finished, eneter into Song Mode because your patterns are complete. As for the FSPro, both it and the XS should then be connected to the MAC via USB. The FSPro would then be connected to your monitors, amp, headphones, etc…

Maybe there’s another question in your post that I missed but, I’ll check back after Bible Study…

Peace…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 01:51 AM
mikeymotif
Joined  07-24-2008

I’ll work on this some more and post back.

You brought up a good point regarding moving the pattern to song mode. I originally started this whole thing with just the XS. No MAC or software. Just laying down sounds within the XS into patterns. But of course I can’t stop at just 2 cookies. Now I want the whole bag.

So, a Mac and Logic later, here I am trying to make it all play nice together. Never really had a plan, and the patterns were “fun” to build. Now, wouldn’t you know it, they sound really good and I want to move them to Logic.

As I said, I’ll work on this some more and post back.

[ Ignore ]