mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Availability of USB drives for the ES are drying up-get some NOW"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 10:58 AM
miket156
Total Posts:  148
Joined  06-28-2004

Most of the USB drives that are available on-line or at resellers are 2GB or high, and don’t work in the Motif ES. I contacted Yamaha Technical Services and asked them if they had a list of USB drives that v1.08 OS supports. They told me they don’t really have a “list” as such, but drives that work in Windows 98 typically will work in the ES Series. Trouble is, most of the drives are not on the shelves anymore.

They suggested checking out Target.com. Target still sells a Dane Elec 1GB for $10.99, here’s the link:

http://www.target.com/dp/B000TYC9TC/sr=1-1/qid=1239630685/ref=sr_fkmr_txt_1_1/192-6202493-4961826?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:Dane Elect 1GB USB Drives&page=1

I went to my nearest Target store to see if they had any in stock instead of me ordering them on-line. I went to the USB drive display and of course, there weren’t any. I checked with a couple of Target employees and they looked it up in their system, and it showed 25 in stock. They found them in the CLEARANCE area. These drives are out of production, just like Smart Media cards. I encourage anyone that is planning on keeping their ES for awhile to stock up while they are still around. Even if you plan to sell your ES, you will need to have a couple of backup devices for the buyer or your ES will not be worth very much.

Here’s the model and catalog number of the drives in case you have trouble finding them. DPCI 056-06-0906. ASIN: Bootyofne. Target Catalog # 10650961.

I bought four of them for spares. The clearance price was $7.53 each, which was a great deal.

Cheers,

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 11:41 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

I have one solution that is not expensive and could help. I’ve bought 1Gb SD card that came with a USB-to-SD reader as a gift (but it could be bought independently). So, than I bought several 1Gb SD cards which are much cheaper than USB sticks of the same capacity. Final merit is when you switch from one SD card to another you should just pull only card out from card reader and insert another. This is due to the Motif OS, while in Windows you should plug out both card with reader in order to Windows recognize another card.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 11:50 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

You can always format a stick > 2Gb to have a 1st partition
of at most 2Gb and formatted FAT(16).
You’ll waste away some space, but a stick like that is still
cheaper that the 2Gb sticks back then .................

;JOOP!

(Got problem: you lie! :: Arthur Brown)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 12:21 PM
DeepEee
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-25-2004

Don’t panic quite yet. I just did a search for “usb 1gb drive” on amazon.com and came up with 353 hits, many of which are less than $10 each.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1239635839/ref=sr_st?keywords=usb+1gb+drive&rs=172282&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:usb+1gb+drive,i:electronics,n:172282,n:!493964&sort=price

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 11:02 AM
miket156
Joined  06-28-2004

DeepEee:

I followed that link you posted and there’s a lot of used drives, as well as some drives that are not even USB Flash Drives in that list. Sure, there are some companies that still have stock, that’s the point.  In case you haven’t noticed, the USB Flash drives that the Motifator.com store is selling are up to $25 each. And Smartmedia cards, which are not available anywhere I’ve looked, are bargained priced at $78 each. I don’t know about you, but while there are still some USB 1GB drives readily available, I stocked up.

Cheers,

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 03:26 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

I stocked up, and Flash Drives up to 4Gs are available at Sam’s and BJs. I don’t remember off hand what I paid,but I got 3 4G PNYs at BJs.
Just a thought…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 05:16 PM
msr
Total Posts:  250
Joined  03-31-2006

Did you try formatting one of those USB sticks you say didn’t work on the Motif ES?  Pretty much every stick on the market is pre-formatted.  the new ones are not likely in the correct format.  That may solve the problem and let you use virually any stick.  It is just that you cant use a 20 GB card and expect to get 20 GB of storage on the MOES.  It will be formatted at the max allowable size.  (refer to page 268 of the owner’s manual)

msr

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 06:00 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

Don’t forget you can use external HD’s with lots of memory...just not as portable, but plenty of memory. I have an 80gb.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 08:25 PM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

I’ve done likewise, Peter. I have ALLLLLLL of my ES and Classic data on an external HD.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 12:00 PM
miket156
Joined  06-28-2004

I realize that larger USB drives can be formatted on the ES. The drives I mentioned above just plug in and are recognized by the ES, so I don’t have to do anything. “Some” drives aren’t recognized at all. Usually larger USB drives 4GB or higher. I’ve had various results trying to format them on my XP computer.

You guys that are using external hard drives, sure that’s a solution, but do you only have ONE drive with all your data on? Just remember, hard drives die too. You may turn it on one day and it doesn’t work. I don’t recall seeing any external hard drive that has a USB port in the back so you can back up to Flash Drives. I realize that hard drives are generally more reliable than Flash Drives. Flash drives die sooner. But I don’t depend on just one backup device, no matter what it is. I have spent years creating sequences and I’m not about to do it again.

Cheers,

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 12:23 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

I totally disagree.
I’ve seen car-loads of malfunctioning hard drives of any make
and size in my life.
I never even heard of a USB stick that failed ....
... unless somebody’s elephant stepped on it, of course.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 12:54 PM
miket156
Joined  06-28-2004

You can disagree all you want, but I suggest going to Newegg.com and read the reviews of various USB Flash Drives. You will find plenty of user reviews that state a particular drive worked for a while and then died. Some drive manufacturers are better than others, just like anything else. I can say from personal experience that the first set of USB Flash Drives I used for my Motif ES (256 MB drives) worked fine for about a year. One day I plugged in the drive I used most often (daily use) and the Motif showed no data on the drive. I then plugged it into my PC and my OS asked if I wanted to format it. The Data was gone, no idea why. Some drives can be written to a million times, so they say. But I believe they are like any other drive, they can die for no apparent reason.

One of the things I am trying to establish on this thread is the need to have multiple copies of your data. A friend of mine suggested that I use an external USB hard drive and carry it over to my PC about once a week to back it up. I think that many people (including me) can get complacent about routine back ups, until they lose a substantial amount of data they didn’t want to lose. That’s why the pocket size USB Flash Drives work better for me.

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 01:41 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

Whenever I make any change to a Song I save it to an ALLSONG file
on USB and:

T H E S A M E D A Y

to my computer.
Routine? No, bad experiences all my life.
I fear I have lost more data in my life than others have created.
And if I did not loose data myself, somebody else did that for me.
Once bitten ...

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 02:09 PM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

One of the FIRST things I learned when I got my Classic and was using SmartMedia cards was to “Save your work!!!!"This advice was given to all by “The Bad 1”.

Since then, I’ve got data saved on SmartMedia cards for my Classic (which I still play from time to time) and Flash Drives for my ES. I’ve got DCP Voice Banks,Keyfax Freebies,"Created" Voices etc etc. They are on Flash Drives (thus the 4G Flash Drives I mentioned before) and on an external HD that is soley for this purpose. There are Voice Editor files,Total Library Files. Point is Everything is backed up “somewhere” either on Flash Drive or External HD.

There is a point where you can do all you can do to backup your work. It is easy to “find” a way to lose everything. It is beginning to “sound” like a personal problem and paranoia over “losing” all your work.

I don’t think that Flash Drives are going anywhere. It is being used by too many systems for storage. I have a “friend” who does sound and uses one of the M7 consoles. He stores his mixes on Flash and goes from one to another M7 board when mixing for the same show in another location. As to HDs, no equipment is perfect but there “is” a point where you have to trust your choice of gear.

I heard the paranoia over SM cards and 6 years later, no problems.
Then again,you want volitility, DON’T save your work and turn off your board.
Smart Media cards,Flash Drive, Computer and External Hard Drive. If I lose it with all that backup...oh well...it was ALL I could do.
Just a thought....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 04:20 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

When I mentioned external HD’s I didn’t mean them as your only source. I have all my files on my computer, the external HD, 2 USB sticks & 3 SM cards. The more backup you have, the better. The point was, in light of the smaller USB sticks and SM cards disappearing, there are still options.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2009 @ 03:24 PM
miket156
Joined  06-28-2004

Hey Peter, does your external hard drive have a USB port so you can copy files to it or do you just disconnect the drive and plug it into your PC and backup files directly to your computer?

What kind of drive is it (mfg and size) and where did you buy it?

Thanks.

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2